Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

I am pretty sure that the key to tinnitus and hyperacusis is to slow a taper down snail speed.

The more I look at my notes the more I believe in the 5 year long taper theory.  I still think back to a story of a guy that had a 5 years supply of valium stored improperly and it decomposed so much in 5 years he ended up tapering it and never knew it.  I quickly becoming a believer in radically long tapers for tinnitus suffers and this includes up dosing at key points and holding as it's an extra long process if you are tapering for T and H.

This stuff about "YOU HAVE TO BE OFF IN ORDER TO HEAL"  does not apply to people HIT IN THE EARS by benzo's. Tapering and slight updosing to keep the T and H within a tolerable range is part of it.  So it takes an extra year, not a big deal if you can enjoy life during the taper.

P.S.  I am tapering the OXY now, down 30%, piece of cake, like tapering candy, easy/peasy :thumbsup:

Tapering the baclofen will be tougher as it's a dreaded gaba drug.  Still it rocks since tolerance just dose not happen on this drug, people have been on the same dose for 40 years and it never messes with them. No benzo weirdness. No genetic brain changes, just changes in chemical levels. Better :)

Baclofen is like GHB, not to bad in withdrawal. I thank Barban for this chart on withdrawal pain.

http://i.imgur.com/jm9VA2p.png               

Interesting ;D

Lucky us. I should have been on heroin instead. ::)

No shit Snoball  :laugh:  Who'd of guessed Dr. drugs are worse than "HORSE"

I should have been 'chasing the dragon' and I'd be long done by now but then I may have ended up looking like Kieth Richards :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/AmsVEN6.jpg

I am pretty sure that the key to tinnitus and hyperacusis is to slow a taper down snail speed.

The more I look at my notes the more I believe in the 5 year long taper theory.  I still think back to a story of a guy that had a 5 years supply of valium stored improperly and it decomposed so much in 5 years he ended up tapering it and never knew it.  I quickly becoming a believer in radically long tapers for tinnitus suffers and this includes up dosing at key points and holding as it's an extra long process if you are tapering for T and H.

This stuff about "YOU HAVE TO BE OFF IN ORDER TO HEAL"  does not apply to people HIT IN THE EARS by benzo's. Tapering and slight updosing to keep the T and H within a tolerable range is part of it.  So it takes an extra year, not a big deal if you can enjoy life during the taper.

P.S.  I am tapering the OXY now, down 30%, piece of cake, like tapering candy, easy/peasy :thumbsup:

Tapering the baclofen will be tougher as it's a dreaded gaba drug.  Still it rocks since tolerance just dose not happen on this drug, people have been on the same dose for 40 years and it never messes with them. No benzo weirdness. No genetic brain changes, just changes in chemical levels. Better :)

Baclofen is like GHB, not to bad in withdrawal. I thank Barban for this chart on withdrawal pain.

http://i.imgur.com/jm9VA2p.png               

Interesting ;D

Lucky us. I should have been on heroin instead. ::)

No shit Snoball  :laugh:  Who'd of guessed Dr. drugs are worse than "HORSE"

I should have been 'chasing the dragon' and I'd be long done by now but then I may have ended up looking like Kieth Richards :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/AmsVEN6.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: Too funny. :laugh:

Whats wrong with Keith Richards? People say I could be his twin. :idiot:  8)

True though. :)

/snip

Not true for me at all. I had to be off in order to heal.

Hyperacusis was my worst ongoing symptom throughout my taper. It prevented me from driving, socializing ... basically from leaving my house. It showed no signs of lifting until I was off the benzos. Had I listened to the advice to taper for years, I'd still be very ill. Fortunately, I listened to Ashton instead, and the hyperacusis has been gone since a few weeks post-jump.

There are good reasons, I think, for the forum rule about sticking with our personal experiences and opinions.

:)

Hyperacusis was my worst ongoing symptom throughout my taper. It prevented me from driving, socializing ... basically from leaving my house. It showed no signs of lifting until I was off the benzos. Had I listened to the advice to taper for years, I'd still be very ill. Fortunately, I listened to Ashton instead, and the hyperacusis has been gone since a few weeks post-jump.

There are good reasons, I think, for the forum rule about sticking with our personal experiences and opinions.

That's interesting NKN, two weeks! sounds great but most people in this forum are having problems even years later.  Sometimes I think I must have some kind of ototoxic damage from the cold turkey I tried.  I have healed about 90% but the T and ear pain just do not go away past this point. My tinnitus is so loud it feels like it vibrating my ear and then this turns into what feels like an ear ache by late evening :'(  At this healing rate it may take me years, two weeks would be nice but it not in the cards for me and many others. Some other members I talked with here are 18 months off after a slow taper and still have loud tinnitus and one member keeps talking about suicide if it does not stop ringing (no names) 

There are two groups, I call them the MORNING AND EVENING groups, Some say it's better in the morning and really bad at night before bed.  80% of this group took a benzo for sleep only. INTERESTING!! (that's the group I am in)

The MORNING group says the tinnitus is worst in the morning on waking and took it for anxiety and dosed in the day time too. About 90%

So when we took the drug must have something to do with when we feel the symptoms worst.

My comment was from members who told me too go very extra slow with long holds to lower the "ear" s/x -

Lot's of people in the tinnitus group tend to taper faster in hopes it will end this symptom so they over taper and end too soon my logs tell me.  A few members here went back on a low dose after jumping got relief and then did it slower.  These members had and increase in tinnitus after jumping indicating they went too fast most likely. 

Most warned me that jumping would not equal fast healing of this sticky tinnitus symptom. They warned me to slow the taper to a crawl when under the 2mg valium point, it's probably good advice looking back.  Even Ashton says it's a tough symptom, at times I think I'm stuck with it and if it does go away it will be a very long time I fear :'( :'( :'(

I feel mostly healed so the taper worked but the remaining tinnitus is enough to destroy any happiness I my feel over this victory, I have a feeling it's as good as it's going to get :'( :'( :'(

One member told me it does go away but it's so slow that all he felt when it was over was anger, so that last thing the benzo did before it left was to "Rob him of any victory" in his words, he also called it the "devil's drug" lol, you know who your are lol and your right ;)

Stay strong, it may take a very long time.

In 2 months I start the ritalin treatment, the doc said it will wipe out the remaining T, I'll believe it when it really happens.  I have big doubts and he says I will suffer on the treatment with T up 3X more powerful. WOW can't wait for that crap to start. Benzo's have to be the most painful drugs ever invented.  I am 5 days off remeron, I feel so down today and negative,,,,,,,,,  maybe w/d is cutting in after all :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

/snip

/snip

Make no mistake about it homeostasis and no accumulated valium which is lipophilic and may even hide in osseous tissues is REQUIRED for COMPLETE HEALING to occur. Let's not debate this. It's not only my medical opinion but every physician I know who is knowledgeable shares as well.

]It hard to be more than 100% correct but in your post, your observation and personal experience qualifies you NoklonoNo as an expert as much as anyone else. In my opinion you are 110% correct.

When we get a self appointed guru's dishing out incorrect advise, not from personal experience, the strength of the forum is that it will generate enough other better or different opinions for people who read these opinions to make the most valid choices as it relates to  their own situations.

For someone to post an opinion who has not even finished their taper, who has changed to an experimental regimen to augment in my opinion their original attempted and failed taper, and then represent themselves as an expert as to what the future hold for anyone else, or how to proceed, in my opinion incorrectly, with a taper plan, or scare others with invalid projections of what their future holds is at best irresponsible and at the worst DANGEROUS.

It is irrefutable than someone can say the are celebrating JUMPING from a benzo and yet be at a high enough dose to have a seizure minimally or better yet die. THEY ARE OFF.  It also irritable to claim to be OFF a benzo yet add in an OPIATE and become addicted, an antidepressant and become dependent , a muscle relaxant like BACLOFEN, or an AMPHETAMINE like Ritalin and profess to have jumped sideways but it was still from a failed taper without a conclusion. So my point is  "jumping" and "OFF" seems to be in the eye of the beholder. I will NOT debate those statements. they are in my clinical judgment as a doctor accurate.

My definition of a "successfully" completed taper { again in the eye of the beholder} is to be in the best possible position to achieve complete healing.  If  PAWS { POST ACUTE WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME} can be averted great but there's no guarantee we can always achieve that regardless of ones taper schedule. Certainly SLOW is better than too fast. Ashton's schedule has been soo steep for some yet 44% of people on benzodiazepines can just discontinue without untoward effects. 8% have been shown to not be able to remove their dependencies.

Ritalin,  as I saw with some of my adult patients was so dangerous that their addiction required specialized treatment. Please read the adult side effects of RITALIN. And I say this as a doctor who has seen them clinically.

Baclofen in enormous doses did decrease alcoholism in a cardiologist but it has never been shown to be a treatment of choice for tinnitus. I could lecture on receptor site overlaps but trust it's not worth my time.

No one on this thread has ever suggested anyone try that path of desperation. LET ME POINT THAT OUT. Everyone on this thread has done their best to be supportive in a LOVING manner. LET ME POINT THAT OUT. So my post is for objective FAIRNESS not personal attack especially when I am far from perfect even though I perceive my opinions as accurate.

As for me I did go through five years of Ativan use for insomnia 11 years ago as I felt I could not function as a surgeon without adequate sleep. I had NEVER prescribed benzodiazapines for long term use and until I heard Professor Ashton lecture to the Main GROUP { Physicians raising the dangers of BENZODIAPINE use and abuse} I had no idea then that my march from 0.5 Mg's night to 2 Mg's would set me up for a taper from HELL. I knew nothing about the dangers of the benzodiazepines and the PDR said 2-4 Mg's for sleep h.s {before sleep}. My doctor prescribed it and it worked so well I thought I born with an ATIVAN DEFICIENCY lol.  When I injured my back I required 3 Mg's of Ativan {short half life and very difficult to taper from} to sleep. When the injury resolved and I went back to the 2 Mg's acute withdrawal set in. My major symptom then as now was tinnitus. The tinnitus did resolve completely then on a RAPID TAPER...which I am  describing from personal experience " as see a patient , go into the bathroom and cry, see the next patient".

No DOUBT , A SLOWER TAPER which is symptom based can diminish unnecessary suffering. How slow should be left up to those who are self directing their taper. Also opinions are given NEVER to hurt anyone, but as NoklonoNo say the rules of personal experience should be heeded.

In conclusion, I did heal completely 11 years ago. That is my personal experience THEN . Will I this time? I leave it up to God as it's beyond my control and I have not seem anyone anywhere suggest a predictable CURE for tinnitus yet.

Therefore, we must act responsibly and in hindsight when we post. If we don't have hind sight it's like predicting the weather from inside the funnel of a tornado.

So you get it NoKlonoNO. Thanks for being the first to point out the truth via experience. I am the second. If you had not posted as concerned as I am I would have passed.

I hope not to generate a meaningless debate as I am at .75 mg of Valium with nightly wake ups generating a whaling SIREN still.  Believe me neither I or my colleagues in medicine have any treatment to cure TINNITUS.

I have my own anxiety at age 73. Retirement should not be about shaving and weighing pills, worrying about the potency of Brand Valium made by Roche because no one prescribes Brand anymore so old lots are possible. I called Roche and they would do an analysis as they say  the distribution of Diazepam in their tablets is not uniform. it's possible to have major discrepancies if the halves of the pills being utilized are not used on successive days. At 0.75 I chose not to receive their MAILER and proceed with the analysis.

LASTLY, it's that iatrogenic dependencies still cause social stigma to benzodiaepine  dependency. The misnomer of ADDICT is just that. I care not about my anonymity as have communicated enough with people either on PM or private email to have established myself as acutely suffering, hopefully humble, anxious, and appreciative from my heart to those I may passionately disagree with as I know them they are SUPERB and suffering people.

Am I out of here as they say? Well I bring nothing constructive to help me or others suffering from TENACIOUS TINNITUS. There does not seem to be anything others have brought to me over these last 10 months from a 70 pill use of Ativan requiring a cross over to Valium and a slow taper. So my guess is this is MY LAST COMMENT EVER. I probably will continue to read posts on occasion. But anything that generates stress for me is a NO NO and this did.

I will keep you all in my prayers. please find it in your heart to be forgiving and PRAY FOR ME. After one hour of typing NO SPELL CHECKS, RE READS etc. Forgive the typo's the gest is there.

Doc

Edit:  fixed quote boxes

~Juliea

Has anyone developed tinnitus months into p/w ?....I had minimal tinnitus during taper...very mild and infrequent...bothered me not at all..Now at 7.5 months into p/w I have developed moderate tinnitus with temple and head pressure ( the ' burning brain ' s/x). I have also been d/xed with Meinners Disease which was the issue leading. to being prescribed lorazapam..( had I only known.......). So I am trying to figure out if this is a worsening p/w s/x. or a recurrence of ear problems. I will be seeing my ENT.,  but I think he is going to want to prescribe more anti- anxiety medication ..which of course I wont agree to. I really want this to be a p/w s/x..but does it seem likely that it would develop 7 months in?

Has anyone developed tinnitus months into p/w ?....I had minimal tinnitus during taper...very mild and infrequent...bothered me not at all..Now at 7.5 months into p/w I have developed moderate tinnitus with temple and head pressure ( the ' burning brain ' s/x). I have also been d/xed with Meinners Disease which was the issue leading. to being prescribed lorazapam..( had I only known.......). So I am trying to figure out if this is a worsening p/w s/x. or a recurrence of ear problems. I will be seeing my ENT.,  but I think he is going to want to prescribe more anti- anxiety medication ..which of course I wont agree to. I really want this to be a p/w s/x..but does it seem likely that it would develop 7 months in?

It's possible. I suffered from very delayed symptoms.  My first attempt it did not peak until month 7

Thanks Bird...I am not having a delay in other s/x ( have had a steady wax and wane since week 6 from jump)...but at month 7 it seemed like I was living a completely different p/w. Many mental s/x are starting to fall away ( but windows are not frequent)....and new physical ones have replaced them...head pressure,  insomnia ( also not a big problem in taper/acute),  muscle/tendon pain.. and a lot of fatigue.

......Thanks again Bird....this one is killing me....hope you are well...coop

Hi doc,  appreciative of your words.  - I really REALLY feel I should have held for months at around 1.5mg where my tinnitus was almost totally gone.  Then I should have followed it down slow.  Too late now.  I think I am healing but today my maskers or on setting 8 which is very loud, At 1.5mg I only have to turn them up to level 2 for relief so I have to wonder what's happening. It could be that the hyperacusis at that point made them seem louder so I turned them down. Maybe as the hyperacusis heals I can take a higher sound level. Just do not know.  I just have to hang on and hope it get's better like everybody says it will. In the mean time I am effectively deaf, my family does not talk to me as I never hear them speaking since my maskers are running 24/7 giving me relief. These maskers feel addictive since I can't stand them being out of my ears.  If a battery runs low I get a panic attack and by the time I get it fixed and back in my ear my ear is screaming.  I think perseverance called this RESIDUAL INHIBITION from sound.

Also people say HEAL, it mean's so many things here.  I talked to a person for weeks and finally the shoe dropped, healing for her was for skin pain and stomach pain. HEALING, it mean's so many different things for different people.  So we wait and wait for healing BUT I am healed nothing is wrong with me I am not even nervous I feel fine, I sleep 9 hours a night.  I feel healed as long as my maskers are in my ears.  Take them out and the world falls apart within 10 minutes as my tinnitus fills every little space in my world until I can't even think until I can't even function. I wonder if you can get addicted to sound or maskers?  I'm beginning to wonder.

My tinnitus is so bad that in the morning when it is low I use a #1 reading glasses, buy 6PM my ears are vibrating so hard that my vision is so blurry I need a #2 reading lens just 8 hours later or I can't read. THAT'S the type of brain shaking tinnitus I get.

To me HEALING means waiting for the noise in my ears to stop,that's it, so is that what Ashton is talking about or some type of OTHER healing?  Benzo w/d is so many different things to different people that we also need sub categories to explain what HEALING means to them.  Healing, what does it mean to you?  Ask 100 people here and you will get 100 completely different answers, I have tried it, I know. S/X means 100 different things to 100 different people. This word healing is so freaking generalized.  I wish people would have a signature line with a check list of all their different symptom's, I think it would be a massive eye opener! REALLY MASSIVE!!! We probably would not be able to relate to each other so maybe it's a bad idea. So does Ashton mean Tinnitus healing too?  I'm also a cold turkey case and I think we have a much tougher time and longer healing, it's just what the number's tell me.  Not that many cold turkey success stories on the board.  Then when I came here everyone said you will heal, you will heal, you will heal.  I wish someone would have grabbed me and shook me by the collar and said ' look idiot, take your freaking pills stupid until your 100% stable'. and do a slow taper then and THERE!  I was 100% stable until I quit, I never even hit tolerance. I have no clue what was coming for me!

It's been a bad day as I am coming off two drugs now and I am scared to death as my symptoms are reappearing don't know how bad it will get, scary as all hell :'( :'( :'(  Oh my God, I am a freaking drug addict, HTF did this even happen!!!!!

Well the more I experience this withdrawal thing the more I can relate to my grand mother's words on her death bed. She said "THE PAIN IS ENDING, SO BE HAPPY FOR ME DEAR, DON'T CRY"

I can relate now, it took 30 years and 3700 benzo pill's but I understand her words for the first time in my life  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  She also said "LIFE IS PAIN"  thought she was crazy from the cancer drugs but I'm starting to get it. Maybe when I'm as old as her I may understand it fully. With my luck I'll figure it out from my death bed talking to my grand daughter telling her the same message that was relayed to me so many years ago.

Thanks Bird...I am not having a delay in other s/x ( have had a steady wax and wane since week 6 from jump)...but at month 7 it seemed like I was living a completely different p/w. Many mental s/x are starting to fall away ( but windows are not frequent)....and new physical ones have replaced them...head pressure,  insomnia ( also not a big problem in taper/acute),  muscle/tendon pain.. and a lot of fatigue.

......Thanks again Bird....this one is killing me....hope you are well...coop

Hey Coop,  I guess time is the big healer.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs Bird  :smitten:

So glad to have found this group.  I started having tinnitus last summer not long after my psychiatrist had bumped my klonopin up to 1.5 mg a day and after a week or of that I went back down to 1 mg a day and it has stayed with me ever since.  I have been to all of the specialists had all of the hearing tests and they say there is nothing wrong with my ears and basically all they can do for me is neuromonics or trt.  I tried gabapentin for a few weeks and it helped a little but then seemed to be the same.  I have tried to cut the other meds I am on (Cymbalta and trazadone) but my panic/anxiety returns.  I am considering going back on gabapentin on a regular basis.  My tinnitus is like a hissing and my hyperacusis fluctuates.  I have the pressure/needing to pop my ears feeling and sometimes like there is a dull ear ache when I have a bad headache.  It is awful.

So glad to have found this group.  I started having tinnitus last summer not long after my psychiatrist had bumped my klonopin up to 1.5 mg a day and after a week or of that I went back down to 1 mg a day and it has stayed with me ever since.  I have been to all of the specialists had all of the hearing tests and they say there is nothing wrong with my ears and basically all they can do for me is neuromonics or trt.  I tried gabapentin for a few weeks and it helped a little but then seemed to be the same.  I have tried to cut the other meds I am on (Cymbalta and trazadone) but my panic/anxiety returns.  I am considering going back on gabapentin on a regular basis.  My tinnitus is like a hissing and my hyperacusis fluctuates.  I have the pressure/needing to pop my ears feeling and sometimes like there is a dull ear ache when I have a bad headache.  It is awful.

Hi Downtongirl,  Yes years of taking benzo's replaces natural gabaergic inhibitors all through your brain.  This is called  'lack of gabaergic inhibition'

I have all those symptoms. It feels like you have an ear infection right?  Yup it's the benzo's. 

If you taper just go super slow especially towards the end.  The last little bit can take a long time if you want to go symptom free.  To heal you have to be off for a while but that does not mean rush the taper.

Hopefully some other people will chime in if you have questions.

Take Care  :)

Thanks birdman.  I have done some research on the internet and saw that some people say gabapentin helps and some say it makes it worse.  I started gabapentin 3 weeks after my jump off and it seemed to help a little at first but then was about the same as prior to taking it.  I have since quit gabapentin and all withdrawal symptoms got worse, brain zaps which made my ears hurt worse, broken sleep, etc.  I took a gabapentin this morning because of extreme anxiety.  Do you know how long the tinnitus/hyperacusis usually last?  Did yours start while you were taking your benzo.  Mine started last summer before I really began my taper.

Thanks birdman.  I have done some research on the internet and saw that some people say gabapentin helps and some say it makes it worse.  I started gabapentin 3 weeks after my jump off and it seemed to help a little at first but then was about the same as prior to taking it.  I have since quit gabapentin and all withdrawal symptoms got worse, brain zaps which made my ears hurt worse, broken sleep, etc.  I took a gabapentin this morning because of extreme anxiety.  Do you know how long the tinnitus/hyperacusis usually last?  Did yours start while you were taking your benzo.  Mine started last summer before I really began my taper.

For me it all stated when I quit but I never reached tolerance. I hear from other buddies that they got tinnitus at tolerance which is the point the benzo has no effect any longer.  All doctors do is keep pushing the dose higher in hopes of reaching some stable plateau.  It's best to get off but do it very slow even if it takes a year or two.  It's going to be hard and the tinnitus may get worse but it's only temporary.  I fall apart when I feel I am unrepairable :laugh:  We all have bad days.  I just quit my AD and I had to take one last night after 5 days off, I was SO down :'( :'( :'(  I guess I need to taper that one too but I'll try every other day for a while and see how that goes, sigh.

There are lot's of helpful and knowledgeable people here at BB :thumbsup:

There is no cure for Tinnitus.

If the tinnitus is caused by the benzo's then on healing it does go away.

Many people in success stories have reported that the benzo induced tinnitus vanishes totally but it takes about 3 to 12 months post jump to resolve for most. Mine is 90% gone from the HELL days.  The last 10% is sticky but I did not have any tinnitus before benzo's.  I can only hope it totally fades again to a non noticeable level.  My level 9 tinnitus is 100% benzo related since all the trouble started when I quit 2 years ago. It's not from hearing damage.

Mine is not from hearing damage either. As you can see in my signature. All I can say is that everything I read on the internet, and that is quite a lot by now, they have no cure for tinnitus. I can't see where it matter what the cause is because they don't have any understanding of just exactly why it begins in the first place or just what it is in the second place. They have a lot of theories but none that have any real promise of anything yet. I think the ones who say they have been 100% healed are extremely lucky and extremely rare. Do I know what I'm talking about? Of course not.  :idiot:  That is just the way it all seems to stacking up in my world.

Has anyone had any luck with flavanoids?

The only one worth a darn is Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (PLP) as it works on GAD65 and GAD67  - You can get it on ebay or amazon.

Google- GAD65 and PLP  it's an interesting journey  ;)

Note: PLP is not PL which is common

Vit B6 - plp is different - IT'S ACTIVE.

Mine is not from hearing damage either. As you can see in my signature. All I can say is that everything I read on the internet, and that is quite a lot by now, they have no cure for tinnitus. I can't see where it matter what the cause is because they don't have any understanding of just exactly why it begins in the first place or just what it is in the second place. They have a lot of theories but none that have any real promise of anything yet. I think the ones who say they have been 100% healed are extremely lucky and extremely rare. Do I know what I'm talking about? Of course not.  :idiot:  That is just the way it all seems to stacking up in my world.

Hi Dream this movie rocks 

It even explains how a benzo works and LACK of it. The movie is pro benzo BUT that's not the point.  It's shows how the benzo messed us up. Once the Gabaergic inhibition come's back we are fixed.  Most drs. recommend 5 mg valium for tinnitus so at level's below 5mg it's going to get tricky.  It takes time OR a way to get the brain kicked back over. There are only two drugs known that build gabaA and GAD65-67 pdc. back up. I'm working on that project, all in good time.

So healing just takes time.  For some it never goes away but it get's better with time until they just get used to it.  Benzo w/d can make it worse since tinnitus is VERY CLOSELY related to ANXIETY.

Iam 9 months out and last month I started getting a lot of zaps in my ears, pressure, ear pains and my tinnitus got better--not completely gone but better. Do you think it will continue to improve and get better or is this the best its gonna get?  I am obviously thankful that its better, but I really want it all the way GONE. Anyone??

Hi Dream this movie rocks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaj7bpLd4M

It even explains how a benzo works and LACK of it. The movie is pro benzo BUT that's not the point.  It's shows how the benzo messed us up. Once the Gabaergic inhibition come's back we are fixed.  Most drs. recommend 5 mg valium for tinnitus so at level's below 5mg it's going to get tricky.  It takes time OR a way to get the brain kicked back over. There are only two drugs know that build gabaA and GAD65-67 pdc. back up. I'm working on that project, all in good time.

So healing just takes time.  For some it never goes away but it get's better with time until they just get used to it.  Benzo w/d can make it worse since tinnitus is VERY CLOSELY related to ANXIETY.

Hey Birdie, Your link is broken. ;D What movie is it?

Iam 9 months out and last month I started getting a lot of zaps in my ears, pressure, ear pains and my tinnitus got better--not completely gone but better. Do you think it will continue to improve and get better or is this the best its gonna get?  I am obviously thankful that its better, but I really want it all the way GONE. Anyone??

Hi Jenny,  I have read lots of success stories that say it does go but many people waited a year.  Some here are still waiting.  I had got 90% gone I have good days but no cigar yet. I wear maskers, do not know how I could have managed without them. People with hyperacusis can't stand maskers so be careful before you buy they are not cheap.  If you like loud white noise you will like maskers. I'd be NUTS without them :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Hugs Bird  :smitten:

I have researched different ototoxic drug lists and most of them say that the cancer medications, some antibiotics, and nsaids cause tinnitus but then some list have like 400 medications that can be ototoxic.  It really scares me because I am afraid to take pretty much anything.  Do ya'll know of medicines from your experience that made your tinnitus worse?  Thanks!