Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Flu Shots

[...]

I expected there would be a problem and there was.  I'm glad I got my flu shot but I had about 3 days of pretty amped sx and a very entrenched feeling of unwellness... headaches, lethargy, feeling like I was going to get the flu, cold... sweaty.  Its all passed and today was good but just thought I'd share my experience.  I would not have wanted to deal w/ the flu while tapering.  I think my sx were probably normal for expected flu shot sx in the first few days... just a little more exaggerated.  I'm not sure how I would reacted had I been earlier in my taper.  Njoy

Yes, Svenhoak, I have had reactions to the flu shot.  I developed CHF after my first shot.  I told the doc at the time that I'd rather have CHF than the flu.  He said, "we have another name for it when your heart stops for too long."  I suppose its risky but this is the first time since that I've had a problem and I've gotten them regularly for the last 15 years.  I expected there might be a problem, but as you said, not too bad.  Now, I likely won't get the flu and, as importantly, I can't give it to anyone.  I don't have any known allegies to the ingredients.... and it was also posited that the CHF could just have likely been a reaction to the death of my husband... it all happened about the same time.  What is critical for me is that I'm asthmatic and I have had episodes while down w/ the flu of not being able to breathe so I still think its worth the risk.  Glad to hear you fared fairly well.  I thought it was worth getting out there and seeing how others were faring w/ it.  Oregonkatz, glad to hear you had no problem at all. 

I have gotten a flu shot for about 20 years in a row. I've NEVER had any side effects. I tried a c/t back in September 2011 and I was two weeks into it when I got a flu shot. No problems. I got my flu shot this year on Oct. 16. I was about 4.5 months out and had no problems. Most of the people here who get flu shots report no side effects, or if they do have anything, it's relatively mild.

I'd rather get a flu shot than try and deal with a full-blown case of the flu while in early benzo recovery!