Important Survey - Please Participate ×

An End of Taper Solution

[aw...]

leanek:

No, the information is hardly classified, I don't know why I phrased it that way. The secret tool is indeed the P-1000 micropipettor, used in labs to measure quantities of liquids under 1 mL with high accuracy. They are costly and I don't think you'll need one. My reference lists two commercial preparations for oral Ativan solution, one using ethyl alcohol as the solvent, apparently with some dyes and flavorings, and the other (I belive more commonly Rxd) is Insensol, which uses propylene glycol as the solvent and has no alcohol, dyes, or sugar. Both come in 30 mL vials at a concentration of 2 mg/mL.

I think you're on the right track with dilution, but there's no reason to dilute the entire 30 mL (which, by the way, will probably not be 30.00 mL) at once, or spend $100 + on a P-1000. A regular 1 mL Class B Mohr pipette will give you accuracy to 0.01 mL for < $10. The only problem might be the closure on the 30 mL vial. I would just get the vial and not ask this pharmacist, whose ignorance may be to your advantage, anything about diluting it or anything else. In general, patients are not supposed to alter Rx meds, and there may be some legal liability for a pharmacist who suggests this, whether he knows it or not.

If the vial has a screw cap, your'e in--literally  :thumbsup: Measure out 1 mL of the concentrate and dilute to an appropriate volume. That might be an intermediate concentration, a working solution, depending on your dose.

You've worked out alternatives in case you can't get a pipettor (you can) which would also work. Good show! Nothing is going to stop you.  8)

aweigh