Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi guys, I am considering going on Remeron as I am having a very difficult time with monophobia and agoraphobia. I have children and feeling like I cant cope. Also having GI issues.

I jumped off Valium last November. I know this is a support group for those getting off, but I thought it would give me a sense of side effects as well.

Did the Remeron ever initially help you with panic, or do you regret ever trying it?

Remeron did me in.  Put me into acute right then and there... well, was sick on it THEN I stopped and in acute.

I also could not take ADs at all. ack

Do you remember what dose you were on? Was it a low dose? I heard the higher doses are activating?

Hi guys, I am considering going on Remeron as I am having a very difficult time with monophobia and agoraphobia. I have children and feeling like I cant cope. Also having GI issues.

I jumped off Valium last November. I know this is a support group for those getting off, but I thought it would give me a sense of side effects as well.

Did the Remeron ever initially help you with panic, or do you regret ever trying it?

Remeron initially seemed to calm my mental symtoms at 15mg, mostly because it knocked me out and made me sedated. But after a month at this dose, it started causing me to be more revved up And just felt toxic after taking every dose. At this dose it starts to activate serotonin receptors in addition to histamine. I was scared of dependence and the side effects, so quickly started tapering. To my surprise, at 2.7mg now, it still helps with sleep. It never touched my agoraphobia and monophobia. After reading this thread, It also seems to messes with the GI system especially After stopping. Most people are prescribed this because of sleep and appetite issues. How is your sleep/appetite? I would say if it is only for monophobia and agoraphobia, it's not worth starting another drug such as remeron since it has its own issues with dependence, side effects, etc. I had no choice but to start it in the beginning because i had symptoms that were not tolerable. Just my two cents!

Remeron did me in.  Put me into acute right then and there... well, was sick on it THEN I stopped and in acute.

I also could not take ADs at all. ack

Do you remember what dose you were on? Was it a low dose? I heard the higher doses are activating?

I was on 3. whatever it was for few weeks then last 2 weeks 7. whatever it was.  Then 5 days of halving the 7, then I jumped off-- disaster.

Remeron initially seemed to calm my mental symtoms at 15mg, mostly because it knocked me out and made me sedated. But after a month at this dose, it started causing me to be more revved up And just felt toxic after taking every dose. At this dose it starts to activate serotonin receptors in addition to histamine. I was scared of dependence and the side effects, so quickly started tapering. To my surprise, at 2.7mg now, it still helps with sleep. It never touched my agoraphobia and monophobia. After reading this thread, It also seems to messes with the GI system especially After stopping. Most people are prescribed this because of sleep and appetite issues. How is your sleep/appetite? I would say if it is only for monophobia and agoraphobia, it's not worth starting another drug such as remeron since it has its own issues with dependence, side effects, etc. I had no choice but to start it in the beginning because i had symptoms that were not tolerable. Just my two cents!

Yes, what ptsd said.  It felt very toxic to me instantly which is why I was in hurry to get off, not knowing that would be a disaster, too.

PTSD, so it works on seratonin and histamine?  What does it do?  And yes, HUGE gut/stomach/gi issues getting off it.  Those have resolved.  The boaty feeling and headaches are gone.  But lots of other stuff remains these years later.

Barbara,

Great, more withdrawal symptoms to look forward to.... :tickedoff:

Yup, from my understanding, it works on 3 different receptors. At lower doses it only hits the histamine, then serotonin and then norepinephrine, the latter 2 are the activating neurotransmitters, which is why it's sedating at lower doses, and activating at higher doses. It also works by another mechanism separately to increase appetite. So, it's a complicated and powerful drug.

How are you feeling these days off mirtazapine and benzos? It's so hard to se the light at the end of the tunnel for me! I'm now on 2.25mg of mirtazapine, not feeling any different than my usual dysfunctional state lol.

Well, am still on benzos and one of the really hard cases here, apparently.  Nothing seems to work for me ;(    .  Was on small dose and over 2 1/2 years later still really non functional.  Hope it gets better.

Oops, I misread your sig!!

That's ok, it's not a race. Do what's right for your body. You'll eventually start feeling better even though it may take you longer, but that's better than CT or getting off too rapidly and ending up in the hospital! Hang in there :smitten:

:( I need to do something, I wish I could find something I could take for the agoraphobia and monophobia.

My daughter was in the ER this weekend with a life threatening condition, I have never felt so helpless! My appetite is ok, my sleep isn't great but its getting better -my worries (mostly about daughter keep me awake).

Sorry you are struggling so much. I can relate. I'm not sure anything except time will help. I'm not anti med, but just don't want you to take something that may likely not help and then you have to withdrawal from that as well afterwards.

3 more days on the 2.25mg dose of remeron for me then going down to 1.5!

Hi my dear friends, i am very confused with the idea that i should continue to remeron taper or not. Reading to many threads on BB also makes us confused.

Let me explain my condition and then give me suggest if possible. Starting from last year November, a drug named Abilify triggered a chemical anxiety from those days. Í tried many drugs with the period of 10 15 days to stop this cond., but none of them worked. Finally i found myself in hosp. using 3 or 4 drugs including remeron. But of course i stopped them CT and came to today. I used them only 10 20 days, but they turned my life into a crap with WD

App. 15 days ago i started to take remeron 15 mg liquid with tapering daily. İt improved my sleep, nausea etc but added new probs like zaps, pain, burning sens. etc. So one side of me says, why dont you quit if you suffer for taking it(there are many people who already suffer long time although they complete their taper), the other says you started a taper, why dont you finish it?

I am fearful about returning the days of first wd, but if i should quit, i should stop now and i shouldnt stop anymore if i continue. 15 days make me addictive to you or not? How an app. way shoul i follow if i should quit?

Any suggest is appreciated very well. Thank you

Hi my dear friends, i am very confused with the idea that i should continue to remeron taper or not. Reading to many threads on BB also makes us confused.

Let me explain my condition and then give me suggest if possible. Starting from last year November, a drug named Abilify triggered a chemical anxiety from those days. Í tried many drugs with the period of 10 15 days to stop this cond., but none of them worked. Finally i found myself in hosp. using 3 or 4 drugs including remeron. But of course i stopped them CT and came to today. I used them only 10 20 days, but they turned my life into a crap with WD

App. 15 days ago i started to take remeron 15 mg liquid with tapering daily. İt improved my sleep, nausea etc but added new probs like zaps, pain, burning sens. etc. So one side of me says, why dont you quit if you suffer for taking it(there are many people who already suffer long time although they complete their taper), the other says you started a taper, why dont you finish it?

I am fearful about returning the days of first wd, but if i should quit, i should stop now and i shouldnt stop anymore if i continue. 15 days make me addictive to you or not? How an app. way shoul i follow if i should quit?

Any suggest is appreciated very well. Thank you

Hi junelight,

This is a difficult question to answer as our nervous systems are all different. Based on my own personal experiences, it sounds like your nervous system could be in a state of destabilization. Going on and off medication can do that, especially when changes happens rapidly. It sounds like reinstating the Remeron helped with a few of your symptoms, but then new ones arose.

It is good you have liquid Mirtazapine. It is much easier to taper. I'm not really sure (nor qualified) to tell you what direction to take for your own particular circumstance, but tapering daily is not a good idea as your body never has a chance to adapt.

I tapered much slower. I was initially at 30mg of Mirtazapine and tapered no more than 10% every month, assuring that most, if not all, of the symptoms I had stabilized before I cut further.

I don't know if that helps at all, but that was my experience.

Hang in there,

Dave

Thank you Dave for this and previous messages. As you said, these decisions aren't taken so easily. I am at the corner which is a few difficult to turn. Thank you so much. I hope i can cope with the probs that i live.

By the way, a man who intend to ct, how many days should he pass? Imo, 15 day is not a process that to quit ct. But anyway else, lessen the dose in a few day should be a way if quitting.

Again thank you

Thank you Dave for this and previous messages. As you said, these decisions aren't taken so easily. I am at the corner which is a few difficult to turn. Thank you so much. I hope i can cope with the probs that i live.

By the way, a man who intend to ct, how many days should he pass? Imo, 15 day is not a process that to quit ct. But anyway else, lessen the dose in a few day should be a way if quitting.

Again thank you

everybody's system truly is different, junelight. there is never a one-sized fix or answer for any of this stuff. the drugs are the same, but our systems and circumstances aren't. for me, i always knew when i needed to hold tapering, or reinstate a dose if the symptoms were beyond what i felt i could manage. i listened to the advice of others AND i listened to my body. that mixture of advice taking did not fail me.

hang in there,

dave

Hi Dave, hi Junelight. Junelight if I had only been on these drugs for 15 days I would quit but that’s just me. I don’t know your background like withdrawal from anything else, that could change things. I c/t after taking about 80 Lorazepam over a 4 month period. For me I knew my doctor would not allow me to taper that , I also did not want to. I tapered for over 2 years from Valium and it was very hard for me but because I had been on a benzo for over 20 years I knew I needed to taper slow. I am now tapering Mirtezapine at 5% a month. I wish I could give you a better answer but like Dave said, we are all different and how we cope will be different.

I am on day 14of my 5% cut to 0.027grams. I hate the anxiety and paranoia that I feel from this. Sometimes going to the store is so overwhelming that I feel like it will never end. The leg pain can be bad too. I feel like soaking in a very warm bath. I’ll be honest I’ve considered just dropping the rest of this and hoping for the best but I’m terrified I’ll get really bad and then won’t be able to cope at all. Unfortunately I feel stuck to keep tapering.

I also wanted to mention that I really do believe that benzodiazepines are the blame for the constant squeezing in my stomach. Some people get the squeezing head, mine is the stomach, the tight muscles in my body are horrible. I fear this will never go away, lord I hope so. Anyway bottom line these drugs are so so bad. They do damage that could take years to heal. Feeling a little down today. I’ll bounce back.

Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Dave, hi Junelight. Junelight if I had only been on these drugs for 15 days I would quit but that’s just me. I don’t know your background like withdrawal from anything else, that could change things. I c/t after taking about 80 Lorazepam over a 4 month period. For me I knew my doctor would not allow me to taper that , I also did not want to. I tapered for over 2 years from Valium and it was very hard for me but because I had been on a benzo for over 20 years I knew I needed to taper slow. I am now tapering Mirtezapine at 5% a month. I wish I could give you a better answer but like Dave said, we are all different and how we cope will be different.

I am on day 14of my 5% cut to 0.027grams. I hate the anxiety and paranoia that I feel from this. Sometimes going to the store is so overwhelming that I feel like it will never end. The leg pain can be bad too. I feel like soaking in a very warm bath. I’ll be honest I’ve considered just dropping the rest of this and hoping for the best but I’m terrified I’ll get really bad and then won’t be able to cope at all. Unfortunately I feel stuck to keep tapering.

I also wanted to mention that I really do believe that benzodiazepines are the blame for the constant squeezing in my stomach. Some people get the squeezing head, mine is the stomach, the tight muscles in my body are horrible. I fear this will never go away, lord I hope so. Anyway bottom line these drugs are so so bad. They do damage that could take years to heal. Feeling a little down today. I’ll bounce back.

Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you for your feedback. The reason of why i want to quit remeron is starting new sxs like burning back, joint pains etc. If they were not there, i would think to go on taper although ongoing and increasing anxiety compared to previous term. Do you live such sxs?

I have numerous symptoms Junelight. Joint pain is huge. I hurt in my legs real bad. Did you taper of a benzo recently? Or any other drugs? Are you saying since starting the Remeron you have been having this problem?

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

I have numerous symptoms Junelight. Joint pain is huge. I hurt in my legs real bad. Did you taper of a benzo recently? Or any other drugs? Are you saying since starting the Remeron you have been having this problem?

no i didn't taper a benzo before. prior to this fact, i had been in hospital for 25 days and i used 4 different drugs (lamictal,sertralin,brintellix,remeron) and ct ed them after using app. 10-15 day. i was in a wd of them for 2 months and then started remeron 15 mg to lessen some symptoms. anyway you mean this could be due to wd effect, not using only remeron. to me it is due to using remeron. this is the first day i drop remeron to 7.5 mg and i feel myself different. what a hard process. i just beg patience from God. thank you for interest...

Hi Junelight, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Sadly antidepressants can have bad withdrawal symptoms also. I remember way back 10 or 15 years ago the medical profession was pushing antidepressants instead of benzodiazepines, don’t get me wrong they were still dishing out benzodiazepines but they were saying that antidepressants were non addicting. We all know now that that is simply not true. Can some people take these drugs and get off from them with little to no trouble? Yes they can but one thing I’m seeing more is those same people can come off them once maybe even twice but a third time might not be able to. Me, I am one of the unlucky ones.

From everything you have told me, my guess is you are in withdrawal from being on the antidepressants for the few years you were on them and switching antidepressants. I just want to ad that I know someone who took Abilify and had terrible anxiety from it. She is also suffering withdrawal from it. These drugs are very potent. I guess my question would be, just to be clear, did you have the withdrawal feelings before the Remeron or after the Remeron? Because if you were in withdrawal before then maybe I would stabilize on the Remeron until the withdrawal calms down. Then do a slow taper of no more then 5 to 10% a month. Be safe and don’t worry you will get through this. I know it’s very hard to function and maintain when you are feeling so badly.

Thank you for every raw that you write. I was suffering until last year July because of unregular use of prozac, but it didnt break down my social functions because i was happy with the thought of having bruxism. Then looking for the treatment for bruxizm, psyhc set me on abilify. If ididnt start abilify, unfortunately this bad journey wouldnt start because my life was going on anyway. I suppose the biggest mistake in my life was listening the psycs' words "dont read prospectus)" :(

Anyway, i went to the hospital in early days of this May after using some drugs effexor, sertralin for some days in a raw etc. Of course didnt work. When we lay on my bed in hospital i was shocked with polydrug treatment, but there was nothing to do. Then, a light settled on my head saying that these are useless, so dont take them. Of course they were useless. Without noticing my hosp. doc., i stopped taking them except for remeron. I had some nasty moments already in the hospital. Then the doc sent me home saying that you should take at home, he still didnt know that i stopped them. I despairly went to work as if playing a zombi and with very high anxiety. I had two crisis at home. Then, ten days later i dropped remeron also. My days were so dramatic and one day i needed to go to the doc with the hope of stabilization. He gave me seroquel and anafranil. I didnt take seroquel because i knew it was so bad and difficult to taper and took anafranil just one tablet and it made me worse so dropped it. Then remeron came in my mind because of liquid forms availabilty in my country. It helped my sleep, apetite but nothing changed except for these things. If burning sens, joint pain etc didnt add to my complaints, i would want to go on it although having anxiety etc. But yesterday i suffered unbelievable burning on my back. I know continous on an off of these drugs isnt a preferable way but if i ll stop this, i should stop when i was in starting the journey so that it cant be count addictiveness for 15 days. So i dropped from 15 to 7.5 and thinking to stop in a few days. Now i have a powerful thought of that i can bear the symptoms because of first wd and waiting for waves and hopefully windows.

These are my thoughts... Thank you for your intense interest..

You’re welcome Juneight. I wish you well and if you need any help let us know. We are all doing our best to get through this. Take care!

Hi jackie and dave. I couldn't. I had many trouble third day and updosed again the dose 13.5 mg which i left. Of course, i had  an extended sleep, but  i feel burns and itches attacking again. Now, i have to define a road map how i taper it. At that point, i will ask some questions to you:

Dave, when i look at your profile i see an extended program starting from 2013 until 2019. Is this too long? Before i intentionally quit the prog, i had a 100 day taper program with DMT. But, you said DMT may not be app. for you. How can i define a taper program according to Ashton or any scientific criteria?

The another issue is that i have burns and pains. Did you have such weird feelings and how did you cope? These issues are very difficult to distract. :(

The last que is for both of you: Do i have a chance to switch remeron to less side effected drug like atarax or any other? I have a seroquel and i examined before taking remeron updose and i again saw it was seriously dangerous.

I am waiting your replies with patience. Thank you from now...

Hey junelight,

In my opinion, there really isn’t a “too long” when it comes to withdrawing from Remeron. For me, it all came down to being able to function. I needed to be able to function; at work, at home, in the world. Could I have tapered Remeron faster? Maybe. But I don’t think I would have been as functional and I think my symptoms would have been a lot worse. For me, the benzos were the truly evil drug, the Remeron was something I didn’t want to take forever, but I wasn’t in the same rush to get off of it.

To my knowledge, there is no other written plan like the Ashton Manual when it comes to Remeron. But I had read elsewhere that no more than 10% cuts no more than every 30 days worked for people and I tried that and it also worked for me. And even at that speed of taper I would take breaks to let my nervous system “catch up” to the changes.

The burns and itches, I don’t know what that is from. It could be from the Mirtazapine as it does affect the histamine receptors. I developed histamine intolerance during my Remeron taper and had to modify my diet towards low histamine foods and that helped.

What I see from your posts is that you had a lot of drug changes in little time. If the Remeron is tolerable to you and you are eating and sleeping decently, I would consider a long, slow taper. To me during my withdrawal, stabilization was more important that quick discontinuation. Ultimately, this is in your hands, this is the best advice I have. You need to listen to your body. If you start tapering and things start feeling wrong, you know you are taking things to fast.

Hang in there,

Dave

Hi June light, I agree with everything Dave said. Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. I’ve been on vacation on a camping trip. Had a great time. I feel like I have a flu today not sure what is causing it. I’m planning to rest up after I pick up my dogs. Hope everyone is doing ok.

Ooowww. I am happy to hear that you had a great holiday. Even the idea of having holiday is great for me at those days. Where did you spend the holiday, in usa?

You are right, but if a man has a high anxiety, how can he become happy for taking sleep and eating?The critical que is that Dont you think remeron also gives anxiety?Didnt or dont you have anxiety while taking remeron? This concern makes me go faster may be than the ideal rate. What is the ideal rate? There are too many people some  of them taper remeron in one month, other for 6 months and others etc. Seeing that i am confused about that. Both you say i am going too fast. I am curious about that there is a dilemma to make it clear: All of us are here to support each other to save us from these drugs, but also it is said one should stay on it as long as possible. For example, you tried my way or a fast way in the past, then stabilized, then felt yourself more comfortable, if it is so, i really wanna try to stabilize without looking the time when it will come to an end. Please make it clear for me...

For example, as you know i lessened my dose from 13.5 to 7.5 and it was so hard. Everybody of course has his/her own properties, may be i live the hard part of last unregular usage of ADs, not only harsh of remeron.

One more thing. Did you think the quit tapering everyday or trials cutting doses like that i made recently :)Are those thoughts normal?

See you..

Hi guys,

I just joined the forum. I did an introduction post but thought I would introduce myself here. I am 7 1/2 months post xanax taper and have been on mirtazapine since December. I feel ready to start tackling the mirt. I picked up a bottle of liquid mirt from a local compounding pharmacy today. I am on 15 mg. I haven't started the taper yet. I was thinking of taking the liquid in full strength for a few days to make sure the liquid doesn't cause any issues for me. I'm not sure if that's really necessary though. My doc thinks I can just halve the pills but after the hell I've been through with benzos I just don't trust them anymore. I will try 10 percent and pray I am lucky and can go fast but at least if I am not one of the lucky ones I won't be in over my head. Xanax was hell. I lost 45 lbs, was suicidal and ended up in the psychiatric unit only to be put on this stuff. Honestly, I hate it but it probably did save my life. I hadn't slept or eaten in 2 full months. I don't think I would have made it too much longer. And that was just tolerance withdrawal. The fast taper I had to do was pure hell. At least I know what I am in for this time. Anyway, the info you guys provide is awesome. I couldn't have made it this far without you all. Seriously. This forum was a blessing.