Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

I'm not the expert, but I might suggest to cut it in half for a few days, then quarter  or by then you'll know.

That's a fairly short time so you'll probably be fine. but tapering never hurts, gentler on system.

infoshare

Tnx info share!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I might have asked some questions here before, but I am wanting to taper off of Remeron now. I finished my V taper back in July (2018).  It was almost 3 years of not knowming what was going on, mistakes and then finally a slow liquid micro taper.  I’m now faced with getting off Remeron or waiting awhile. 

I am taking 3.75 mg’s nightly.  I got a compound made and took 1.875 mg’s in pill form and the other 1.875 mg’s in liquid last night.  I slept fine but awoke today very sick!  Headache, nausea and dizziness.  I was having a window so I thought it would be ok to start my taper.  I’m guessing I was wrong and maybe taking it in liquid made me sick???  I know I won’t be completely fine, but having these symptoms I just can’t tolerate again so soon after my Valium taper.

I am so scared and don’t want to be sick and unfunctional again!  I just don’t know how to taper without a compound as the smallest dose pills are 7.5 and I can’t cut them super small.

Hello, I might have asked some questions here before, but I am wanting to taper off of Remeron now. I finished my V taper back in July (2018).  It was almost 3 years of not knowming what was going on, mistakes and then finally a slow liquid micro taper.  I’m now faced with getting off Remeron or waiting awhile. 

I am taking 3.75 mg’s nightly.  I got a compound made and took 1.875 mg’s in pill form and the other 1.875 mg’s in liquid last night.  I slept fine but awoke today very sick!  Headache, nausea and dizziness.  I was having a window so I thought it would be ok to start my taper.  I’m guessing I was wrong and maybe taking it in liquid made me sick???  I know I won’t be completely fine, but having these symptoms I just can’t tolerate again so soon after my Valium taper.

I am so scared and don’t want to be sick and unfunctional again!  I just don’t know how to taper without a compound as the smallest dose pills are 7.5 and I can’t cut them super small.

What's builders math help I was able to vodka liquid water taper off of murtaza pain 1.85 mg rounded up to 2 mg plus the to 4 ml of Vodka plus 96 ml of water and then I took out about 0.03 ml syringe every day for about 3 weeks then down to 2.0 to milliliters them down a 0.01 I went real salt was super easy and super comfortable know withdraw at all when I tried to crush the tablet before I started the liquid paper and try to take a cut of a line I still got very very sick that headaches like you are getting so I think it's doable builder says there's no dependency at 3.7 I  believe but it's still a withdrawal syndrome.

Infoshare

*ADVICE PLEASE* I picked up a new prescription of Mirtazipine/Remeron from my chemist and noticed it was a different brand to my usual one. I began taking the tablets 4 days ago and have noticed a marked difference in that they are making me feel more sedated in the morning and I'm having lucid dreams. I also just don't feel right. I don't feel great anyway as am tapering off Valium, but there is a difference with the Mirtazipine. Also feel my mind is racing while I sleep if that makes sense? It's almost like when I first went on antidepressants in 2013. They are doing something to my brain chemistry  :-[

It's hard enough dealing with the other drug let alone this one. I just want off the whole lot!

Thanks.

*ADVICE PLEASE* I picked up a new prescription of Mirtazipine/Remeron from my chemist and noticed it was a different brand to my usual one. I began taking the tablets 4 days ago and have noticed a marked difference in that they are making me feel more sedated in the morning and I'm having lucid dreams. I also just don't feel right. I don't feel great anyway as am tapering off Valium, but there is a difference with the Mirtazipine. Also feel my mind is racing while I sleep if that makes sense? It's almost like when I first went on antidepressants in 2013. They are doing something to my brain chemistry  :-[

It's hard enough dealing with the other drug let alone this one. I just want off the whole lot!

Thanks.

What manufacture were you using before? Ask your pdoc to write on your prescription dispense as written (DAW) for the generic manufacture that worked for you. This way your pharmacy will always make sure to special order the generic you wan't and not give you something different each time. Unless the manufacture you were taking has discontinued remeron or is on back order which I hope is not the case for you.

Hi DubCity, thanks for your response. That makes sense. I can't remember who the manufacturer was as the empty box was thrown away last week. I wish I'd kept it now. I didn't realise another brand would make a difference. I will mention to my Dr when I next see her.

Hello, me again...does anyone know how I could taper off Remeron without a compound?  I tried the compound again last night and was very, very sick, didn’t sleep and am sick today.  It’s obviously the compound.  I did use a compound for my Valium taper but I was using majority pill and only using the compound to taper off .25 mg’s at a time.

Really need advice as the compound is just not working.

• 2 weeks later...
[93...]

Hello mirt community!

I have been tapering mirt for the last 8 months...I am down to 3,75 from 7,5...

This week I started sleeping one night 8 hours and the other 2-3... I am use to having some bad nights, a few sleepless...but this is New!

I made a big cut from 4,2 to 3,75... I feel stuck...and was feeling so low this week that I wanted to get of asap...but don't seem to be able too...

I am also benzo free since 10 days from a 14 months taper...

Any others having sleep problems with mirt...or this type of problem...

My main langage is french so I am sorry If my words sound funny!

Also...on surviving antidepressants people taper for years...What are your thoughts!

Thank you!

Merrymary-

Yes, it is completely normal to have sleep problems when stopping or tapering Remeron.  I have that often after cuts for a few nights. It will get better, maybe slow your taper down?  I know you want off, but unnecessary suffering isn’t ideal.  BUT I also know you don’t have to take years to taper, maybe just slow down a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, me again...does anyone know how I could taper off Remeron without a compound?  I tried the compound again last night and was very, very sick, didn’t sleep and am sick today.  It’s obviously the compound.  I did use a compound for my Valium taper but I was using majority pill and only using the compound to taper off .25 mg’s at a time.

I bought a Gemini scale on Internet and filed it down my pills every 4 weeks only 10%.

It was still hell for me.

Remeron and benzo completely ruined my life. Suffering 3 yeas now. No window.

I hope you will do much better then me.

Hugs

Vica

I bought a Gemini scale on Internet and filed it down my pills every 4 weeks only 10%.

It was still hell for me.

Remeron and benzo completely ruined my life. Suffering 3 yeas now. No window.

I hope you will do much better then me.

Hugs

Vica

Hi, well so far I’m really sick and using 1 mg capsules and a 1:1 ratio compound to taper off.  I’ll have tapered .25 mg’s this month.  It’s been hell and I even had a window almost all of October, but as soon as I started the Remeron taper I became ill again.

This stuff is horrible and it has also ruined my life.  Our timelines are similar as well as reasons for starting.  I know your sick, but your so lucky to be free of all of this stuff.

Hang in there, one day this will be a distant memory!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

who is worried about Remeron's reduction. It's a real drug and it's just as dangerous to me as taking BZD.

I've been Klonopin for 26 years. I managed to stop Klonopin in 17 months with a solution. I thank Kay2020 for writing how she was reducing Klonopin. Kay2020 THANK YOU!

After I dropped Klonopin I was waiting for 2 months and I started to reduce Remeron from 30 mg. After 6 months I was without Remeron. In 2 weeks I started a very bad period, and I had to go back to Remeron, but I took only 7.5 mg this time. I have read a lot of posts about Remeron's reduction. I started to reduce Remeron by weight, but Remeron doses were inaccurate. I had a lot of nights without sleep. I also read that some were dissolving Remeron in the water, some dissolving Remeron in milk. I did not understand how to prepare Remeron's solution. That's why I let the pharmacies produce capsules that are accurate. I started to decrease from 7.5 mg to 7.45 and 7.40 ..... I'm holding a dose for 3 days and then I keep going. I reduce 0.5 mg Rem per month.

I have to write that during the entire reduction of Klonopin as well as Remeron, I suffer from mad insomnia and it takes 2.8 years. I've been thinking many times that I'm gonna die because I do not have a sleep. A few friends here encouraged me and I wanted to go further.

Waiting for 1 year to reduce Remeron and although I have a very bad sleep, I feel better without Klonopin. My body is probably somewhat accustomed to insomnia.

I wish all of them much strength, patience and humility  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:.

Margarita

Margarita . You are absolutely right in doing a slow taper of your remaining remeron dosage . My taper from remeron was too short . I thought that at 3. 5 mg I could jump . I was wrong . At about 13 months off I am doing better but it has been a crazy rocky road.

Remeron is a powerful drug and although really helpful comes with a lot of problems.

Insomnia is a biatch . Having said that it is amazing how a little sleep can keep us going . I'm doing better now but there were nights when I was thankful for two good hours . My aunt survived the Blitz in London and I remember her telling me that they went for years with little or no sleep . She lived to be 90 bless her so obviously the lack of sleep didn't hurt her.

Hugs  :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

Margarita . You are absolutely right in doing a slow taper of your remaining remeron dosage . My taper from remeron was too short . I thought that at 3. 5 mg I could jump . I was wrong . At about 13 months off I am doing better but it has been a crazy rocky road.

Remeron is a powerful drug and although really helpful comes with a lot of problems.

Insomnia is a biatch . Having said that it is amazing how a little sleep can keep us going . I'm doing better now but there were nights when I was thankful for two good hours . My aunt survived the Blitz in London and I remember her telling me that they went for years with little or no sleep . She lived to be 90 bless her so obviously the lack of sleep didn't hurt her.

Hugs  :smitten:

brave rabbit- I too C/T remeron and paid/am paying for it. although it's not as severe as it was the first few months. You said you are doing better at 13 months out. Can you tell me a little more about how much better you are doing these days and what you went through?

I am between 80% and 90% healed. I have amazing and really good patches of feeling healed with no insomnia and no night time pain , and then some scattered low times of  night time muscle and nerve pain in my lower arms and legs , along with some insomnia . Initially I went through an intense period of withdrawal when I jumped from the remeron . A lot of pain, insomnia and horrible akathisia . Recovery has been completely non-linear since then, but finally the good days and nights far outnumber the bad . Hang in there . Many of us have been hit with the remeron bomb and recovered .

I am between 80% and 90% healed. I have amazing and really good patches of feeling healed with no insomnia and no night time pain , and then some scattered low times of  night time muscle and nerve pain in my lower arms and legs , along with some insomnia . Initially I went through an intense period of withdrawal when I jumped from the remeron . A lot of pain, insomnia and horrible akathisia . Recovery has been completely non-linear since then, but finally the good days and nights far outnumber the bad . Hang in there . Many of us have been hit with the remeron bomb and recovered .

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I too had terrible akathisia. It started as 24/7 inner restless horror terror feeling and turmoil where even watching a Disney cartoon was scary, then morphed into a sharp stomach-twisting nervousnesses, and now it’s a on and off chemical fear or slight mental unease with much less physical agitation. I remember how tight my solar plexus was for months at a time. Either way the worst of it is over but now I tackle Benzo and beta blocker withdrawal, both of which I took to mitigate the remeron withdrawal.

I also had cardiac issues because of the remeron cold turkey. Insomnia. Dysautonomia. Electric shocks. Intrusive thoughts. Tinnitus -‘d even some auditory hallucinations. Intolerance to stimulation. Elevated adrenaline in blood tests. Burning etc etc. Did you have mental symptoms like fear, unease, or dp/ seperate from the ak?

Thanks for the hope. I’m glad you’re almost there at 100%!

The worst mental symptom was the feeling of being wired. It went along with the akathisia and agitation . Total exhaustion and impossible to sleep through it . I also had depressive , black moods .

• 1 month later...

Stopping by to see if anyone else is tapering Remeron right now. I started tapering a very small amount about 2% and was hoping there might be others to talk to while tapering. Share tips and support. I’m really not sure how bad it will be because I’ve read both good and bad so I guess I’ll see. I am 29 months off Lorazepam and I feel it’s time.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Jackie . Sending you love and support through this . It will get easier , but as you know all too well  it just takes time . Good days and bad days , but every day brings us closer to the finish line .

Most of the time 80% healed . The last few weeks have been rocky . I got called in for a second look mammo and had to wait ten days to get it done . I was O.K. but all the stress set off a big wave with the usual suspects of insomnia , muscle and nerve pain . low moods . etc. etc, . Getting through it seems a bit endless . I keep reminding myself that my too fast jump from the remeron was only 15 months ago so I'm not doing too badly considering. Remeron is really powerful even at a low dosage . So many of us have been surprised by nasty withdrawals  . ' This too shall pass '.

What mg did you start at and what mg did you jump? I’m happy to hear you have been doing pretty well. Sorry about your stressful situation you had. It amazes me how potent these drugs are. If you could give me any advice regarding the Remeron what would it be? I can’t lie I’m a bit nervous. I only cut 2% and that’s doable. I’m going to cut 5% next month. I hope I can handle it because I only have enough pills to taperat 5%. Long story and I’m too tired to type it all out tonight. Any thoughts? Please stick around from time to time brave. We all need someone who has been there done that. Thanks for replying to me and in my opinion I think you are doing great! 15 months under your belt! Yay you!

HELP please. started Mirt about a year ago PRN as needed 7.5 down to 3.75.  Was using couple times per week but lately almost every night.  Getting TERROR when trying to fall asleep and panic attacks, nightmares .  Tried stopping this med but NO WAY! Stopping and starting all the time has I think screwed me.  Should I try to stabilize on 3.75, 7.5 or what??.  DESPERATE,  still on valium 1.26mg

Hi drummer boy, you could try to stabilize and see if it helps. I’m new to tapering Remeron. I made a small 2% cut and I’m either feeling it or my w/ d from  Lorazepam 29 month ago. I see you are still on Valium. Could it be the Valium you are feeling? I hope more people come on and give their thoughts on this. I would hold it for a month and see how you feel. I know it’s hard going through this. I’m scared of Remeron because I don’t know what to expect. Some seem to have no problems getting off from this.