Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi.

Just wanted to report success earlier this year with my tiny dose mirt, 1.85mg. I could never handle the larger "normal" doses. Lower doses

tend to act more like antihistamine, so gives good sleep and it's long half life helps anxiety during day. But I wanted off as still have to get off my 4mg valium(from

total 45mg--a few years ago).

Cutting tablet or crushing it anymore still gave horrible headaches and w/d. So asked builder how to apply liquid vodka/ 100ml water solution to do this.

Simple. I think it was 20ml vodka for my rounded up 2mg(1.85mg) hard tablet to dissolve + 80ml water. Then just took out like .03ml,  maybe more

then .02ml, then playing it real safe, .01ml at end. I took my time and it was sooo smooth. I am so grateful. It took several months. And that's OK.

Have been told it's not dependent after 3.75mg. Yet I know others who are stuck there. I don't know how the higher livels of mirt are to taper by dry cuts. But liquid solution would work too if someone is having trouble.

Now I can't figure out why I'm having rough time doing same with a 2mg tablet of valium?

Blessings

infoshare.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, I was put on Mirtazapine 60mg for insomnia, depression and anxiety along with Ativan 2mg. I switched to Valium 10mg about 6 months ago.

I tapered my Mirtazapine from 60mg to 37.5mg rather rapidly and without understanding the ramifications. I went through considerable hell but did not understand why. I am not about to start a 6 month taper of the Valium and since I have reached tolerance I am dreading it. I am not going to touch the Mirtazapine again until I complete the Valium withdrawal. If I get through the Valium taper I will try a micro taper of the Mirtazapine. One thing I have tried recently is a herb called Kratom. It is over the counter in most states but it does attach to your opium receptors so it builds tolerance and can be addictive if used regularly. I am considering using it 2-3 times per week to help me get through my tapers. Anyone know much about this plant? My research goes from it is highly addictive to it being no more addictive than coffee. I would love to know if anyone has experience with this [drug] Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Everybody, I was put on Mirtazapine 60mg for insomnia, depression and anxiety along with Ativan 2mg. I switched to Valium 10mg about 6 months ago.

I tapered my Mirtazapine from 60mg to 37.5mg rather rapidly and without understanding the ramifications. I went through considerable hell but did not understand why. I am not about to start a 6 month taper of the Valium and since I have reached tolerance I am dreading it. I am not going to touch the Mirtazapine again until I complete the Valium withdrawal. If I get through the Valium taper I will try a micro taper of the Mirtazapine. One thing I have tried recently is a herb called Kratom. It is over the counter in most states but it does attach to your opium receptors so it builds tolerance and can be addictive if used regularly. I am considering using it 2-3 times per week to help me get through my tapers. Anyone know much about this plant? My research goes from it is highly addictive to it being no more addictive than coffee. I would love to know if anyone has experience with this [drug] Thanks for your feedback.

I believe the valium equivalent for 2mg ativan should be 20mg, if I am understanding/remembering correctly. So you are suffering possible from benzo w/d since the

change over to 10mg valium is shorting you by 10mg. That's a lot.  The equivalenices are in the Ashton Mannual.  A lot of docs of course don't have a clue about equivalancies. If that could be corrected I think you will do better.  Peace.

Infoshare.

I've been on Mirtazipine for a few years as you can see from my signature. At the weekend I decided to half my dose by dry cutting the 15mg tablet into 7.5mg. This is along with my Valium taper. I'm not going any lower than 7.5mg until at least the New Year, then it will be a small reduction at a time.  From what I've read on here you can also struggle with withdrawal from this drug. I've asked my Dr if they are addictive/cause withdrawal etc and was told no.

The only thing Mirtazipine has helped me with is sleeping at night. It doesn't help with my anxiety. I'm going to somehow find a solution for that long term issue. Probably get out and run more ....

That’s a good question. I would say wait until the w/d from the benzo has either stopped or has significantly slowed down. For me I will wait until I hardly think about it anymore. I know it’s not the Mirtezapine because I still sleep very well and I still get windows. I just had a really good window until today now I’m back in a wave. I have seen people try to taper while still in/d from benzodiazepines and it just compounds things. I’m not saying I have it all figured out but it makes sense to me to wait.

Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

Hi jackie brown,

I wrote for this discussion. I've been dropping the clonopin for 17 months, and I've had a very poor sleep throughout my whole clonopin reduction. In October 2017, I was out of clonopin and I had a good night's sleep for two months. I started to reduce remeron from 30 mg (December 2017). I suffered from insomnia during the remeron reduction. Within 5.5 months I was out of remeron (beginning June 2018). After withdrawal of remerons, intensive withdrawal symptoms have occurred - insomnia, tremor, depression, panic, anxiety. After seven weeks without remeron, I again started to take remeron 7.5 mg per night. After one month I had a better sleep (about 3-4 hours). I waited another month and the sleep was quite good. So after two months with a remeron of 7.5 mg, I started to reduce the remeron again (in September 2018). Now I'm on a 6.75 mg dose remer and I'm getting insomnia again. I have a sleep of 0-1. I want to ask, my withdrawal symptoms are still from clonopin? Should I take a longer pause and not reduce? The problem is I have a Remeron for 2 years. I bought Remeron in another country because there is no remeron in our country. Now Remeron has no other country. Mirtazapine did not accept my body. Please, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Margarita

I wrote for this discussion. I've been dropping the clonopin for 17 months, and I've had a very poor sleep throughout my whole clonopin reduction. In October 2017, I was out of clonopin and I had a good night's sleep for two months. I started to reduce remeron from 30 mg (December 2017). I suffered from insomnia during the remeron reduction. Within 5.5 months I was out of remeron (beginning June 2018). After withdrawal of remerons, intensive withdrawal symptoms have occurred - insomnia, tremor, depression, panic, anxiety. After seven weeks without remeron, I again started to take remeron 7.5 mg per night. After one month I had a better sleep (about 3-4 hours). I waited another month and the sleep was quite good. So after two months with a remeron of 7.5 mg, I started to reduce the remeron again (in September 2018). Now I'm on a 6.75 mg dose remer and I'm getting insomnia again. I have a sleep of 0-1. I want to ask, my withdrawal symptoms are still from clonopin? Should I take a longer pause and not reduce? The problem is I have a Remeron for 2 years. I bought Remeron in another country because there is no remeron in our country. Now Remeron has no other country. Mirtazapine did not accept my body. Please, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Margarita

Hi Margarita, I am so sorry about your sleep and also not being able to get Remeron. I know how just having a manufacture change can mess me up. I would ask though if you are sure that this is not from the Klonopin. I know you said you slept good for 2 months after stopping it while still taking the Remeron then started reducing the Remeron? For me personally I believe the Remeron/Mirtezapine has been holding back many withdrawal sx’s. That is not to say that I don’t have waves because I do and some that are really bad but I also have windows that are great. Did you have any other withdrawals during the 2 months after stopping the Klonopin? I can not tell you what did what for sure but I will not even touch the Remeron until I feel like I am passed the benzo w/d.

I understand that you can’t get Remeron and you feel the Mirtezapine doesn’t work for you but it could be because of the Klonopin w/d. Also I found that the Teva manufacture is the oneI can take so maybe look at the manufacture of your Mirtezapine. This is so hard to endure and my heart goes out to you. I would get stabile on the Mirtezapine and stay put for awhile. Give you CNS time to heal and taper the Mirtezapine later. What’s important is to heal. That takes time. Let me know how you are doing and what you decide. I’m here if you need me.

Hi jackie,

thank you very much for your quick reply  :smitten:. I have been taking Remeron for 12 years, and for the last three years my remeron has not helped sleep so much. I thought remeron did not help in reducing clonopin. ? I do not know if I have a bad sleep because my CNC has not yet recovered from the clonopin? How do I know I went through benzo w / d?

Jackie, I do not know if I should go back to 7.5 mg Remeron? At this dose, I had a pretty good night's sleep, but I also had a bad night without sleep. Or should I stay at 6.5 mg Remeron and wait for me to stabilize? I do not have many Remeron tablets. I'm afraid I have enough time to drop the Remeron. I'm afraid what will happen when I do not have a remeron? There are three types of Mirtazapine in my country. My body has not received any Mirtazapin. I stopped sleeping with mirtazapine and I started to have psychological problems, restless hands and feet, tremors, depression ...

Margarita

Oh dear, well I can’t make that call for you. So you didn’t have any w/d from the Klonopin? How long again have you been off the Klonopin?

:smitten:

I took 25 years of 0.5 mg Klonopine 1x evening. I dropped this dose to zero for 17.5 months. I did not take any other benzo. Within 2 months of stopping treatment with Klonopin I did not reduce anything else.

I hope someone else will come along and offer some support and their thoughts. I believe we all heal and I believe you will heal too. Don’t give up hope. If you can’t take the Remeron then I wouldn’t but only you know how you feel taking it. I still really think it is Benzo w/d. It takes awhile to fully heal from them.

:smitten: :smitten:Jackie

I do not know if I understand the meaning of W / D sx. I had windows in two months, lots of good windows and few waves that were not too bad. During the entire reduction of Klonopin, I took Remeron. Remeron I still take

Thank you.

Margarita

I’m sorry if I said something that offended you margarita. I was trying to understand what you have been through. I know how frustrating this is. I hope you feel better soon. All my best.

Dear Jackie,

I'm not offended  :). I'm sorry, I'm not good English. I'm just desperate. There is a difference between Remeron tablets and Mirtazapine. Remeron I tolerate well. Mirtazapine is poorly tolerated. I will try to divide Remeron even for smaller doses and perhaps I will have a better period.

Jackie, thank you for your encouraging words. I really appreciate your writing  :smitten:.

Margarita

Been on remeron for a few weeks now, would you guys say the withdrawal is harder than other ante depressents or benzos? worried about when I will have to come off, it is helping me at the moment tho.

Going to cold turkey the Remeron starting tonight have been on 7.5mg for 3 weeks now... do you guys think it would be smarter to just jump off or taper down? Tnx

Hi DubCity, you said you have only been on it for 3 weeks? Are you tapering a benzodiazepine? Or anything else? I did a very quick taper from Gabapentin about a year and a half ago and didn’t have much problems. I really don’t know how your Remeron will go. This blog doesn’t have as many people tapering there Remeron at the moment. Hopefully someone who knows will come along. I wish you well though and please let us know how you are doing.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

I'm not the expert, but I might suggest to cut it in half for a few days, then quarter  or by then you'll know.

That's a fairly short time so you'll probably be fine. but tapering never hurts, gentler on system.

infoshare

Hi DubCity, you said you have only been on it for 3 weeks? Are you tapering a benzodiazepine? Or anything else? I did a very quick taper from Gabapentin about a year and a half ago and didn’t have much problems. I really don’t know how your Remeron will go. This blog doesn’t have as many people tapering there Remeron at the moment. Hopefully someone who knows will come along. I wish you well though and please let us know how you are doing.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Hey Jackie I’m currently in Benzo wd, I’m tapering from klonopin and not doing too well that’s why I had decided to go on Remeron Tnx !