Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

I'm also on Mirtazipine and plan to come off it once I'm off Valium. I didn't realise that you can also have withdrawal from this drug. So I have a 'double whammy' coming up then  :(

I notice you've halved your dose of Mirtazapine NoMore - how did that go for you? Did you have many symptoms? I, too, dread having to come off this drug.

MargUk I halved my dose of Mirtazipine a year ago and had no issues. Once I'm off the Valium and have settled I will do a slow taper with the Mirtazipine. I hope to be off Valium in the next 3 months ...

Hi Marg and NoMore, I am 17 months off Lorazepam and am still having w/d. I have been told by a few buddies that have been free for several years that it is Important to wait until we are having no more benzo w/d sx’s before coming off Mirtezapine or Remeron. I am hoping that by doing this it will make the Mirtezapine less of a problem. I guess I’ll see when the time comes. No plans of doing it until the beginning of 2019 or unless I just feel a whole lot better before then. I’ve been through so much with these drugs over the years that I just want this last taper to go smoother as I know you do too. Hoping for good results for all of us.

Love, Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

MargUk I halved my dose of Mirtazipine a year ago and had no issues. Once I'm off the Valium and have settled I will do a slow taper with the Mirtazipine. I hope to be off Valium in the next 3 months ...

That’s good to hear NMP - did you do it via dry cutting?  All the best with your Valium taper - I hope it goes to plan - I’m waiting until I’m completely free of all symptoms before I attempt any tapering of the Mirtazapine - that’s if I can pluck up the courage from somewhere! ;D

Hi Marg and NoMore, I am 17 months off Lorazepam and am still having w/d. I have been told by a few buddies that have been free for several years that it is Important to wait until we are having no more benzo w/d sx’s before coming off Mirtezapine or Remeron. I am hoping that by doing this it will make the Mirtezapine less of a problem. I guess I’ll see when the time comes. No plans of doing it until the beginning of 2019 or unless I just feel a whole lot better before then. I’ve been through so much with these drugs over the years that I just want this last taper to go smoother as I know you do too. Hoping for good results for all of us.

Sounds very wise to me Jackie. The only thing which worries me (and it really does worry me) is how to actually face another potential nightmare once we start to reduce Mirtazapine, having presumably felt half-decent for a few months and resumed normal life again.  I think that’s going to be so hard - to walk down that hellish road again knowing what could be coming.  I wish I could see more evidence that a long, slow taper still leaves folk functional but people still seem to be suffering as much - maybe I’m reading the wrong threads!! ;D

Hi Marg, I agree with you, there is no way to know what we will be in for or for that matter how to even taper it. I am 59 years old and have literally been dealing with tolerance, Interdose w/d, tapering and this last deal a c/t, I’m so tired of it all. I too am not looking forward to another w/d, However I believe what the people who have tapered off before me say. My one friend said he tried to come of Mirtezapine at about a year off the benzo and couldn’t do it and then tried again at a couple years off and had no problems. He said he had to wait to get through the w/d from the benzo. Another friend a woman told me the same thing. So I am hoping they are right. You’re going to get through it and will be glad you did. When are you thinking you will do it?

Hi Marg, I agree with you, there is no way to know what we will be in for or for that matter how to even taper it. I am 59 years old and have literally been dealing with tolerance, Interdose w/d, tapering and this last deal a c/t, I’m so tired of it all. I too am not looking forward to another w/d, However I believe what the people who have tapered off before me say. My one friend said he tried to come of Mirtezapine at about a year off the benzo and couldn’t do it and then tried again at a couple years off and had no problems. He said he had to wait to get through the w/d from the benzo. Another friend a woman told me the same thing. So I am hoping they are right. You’re going to get through it and will be glad you did. When are you thinking you will do it?

We’re the same age Jackie! :). That’s really interesting about the difference in leaving it for a couple of years - something to definitely take note of.  I don’t really have a plan because I can see the dilemma so clearly - once I get my life back I will in no way, shape or form want to put myself through that nightmare or anything like it again - I also don’t want to be stuck on Mirtazapine for ages but feel the longer I’m on it the worse it’ll be to come off.

Rock. Hard place.

I’m seeing a Psychiatrist who is amenable to me coming off it but I know for sure will want to start that process much sooner than I do and will also want to go at a much faster pace than I’ll want to go as well I’m quite sure so I think this is one thing I’ll have to do on my own (with BB’s help of course) at some stage.  Do you have a firm plan in place yourself?

Hi Marg, no I don’t really have a plan yet. I’ll be watching to see how things go. I’m not in a big hurry because I just want to make sure I’m ready from the benzo. Oh the struggles of life. I hate to see you going through this too but I am glad to have a buddie on this journey.

Love, Jackie

Me too Jackie.  It’s really great to talk to folk who just know what this is all about and can understand the fear involved - it’s such an isolating experience otherwise. :-\

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to this group. I’m here because I got a really crazy side effect from 3.75 mg of mirtazapine!

I dont take mirtazapine regularly. I only take it when my sleep is really bad.

I usually only need it once every month or two.

But for the past 6 months my sleep has not been so bad and so I did not take it at all!

But last night I took my usual3.75 mg and today I can hardly move! I feel like every muscle and every joint is rusted. Every movement hurts.

What’s going on? I never had this before.

I have been having muscle cramps and spasms as a wdsx of the Valium I am tapering off of. I am at .5 mg with the Valium right now and presently doing a hold.

Iam wonderingly. If this is just a worsening of my wdsx from the Valium of if it could be from the mirtazapine.

Has anyone ever woken in the morning after taking mirtazapine and felt this way!?

Thanks for any calming words and/or advice.

Heathcliff

Hi All:

I have been reading older posts and decided I need support again for my taper off 3.75 mg. remeron.  I started on it about two years post benzo for the same reason many other do -- improved sleep.  I have been on it for little over 5 years and know I want to get off.  I have been post benzo for 7 years so time for another taper!

I tried to come off remeron in August 2017 by cutting my 3.75 tablet in half (very small pieces).  I made it to day 30 before with some 3 hr. sleep nites, bad GERD, and sweats and decided to go back up to 3.75 mg. again and start a gradual taper.  Wow...wasn't prepared for what happened when I went back up to 3.75.  I had about 10 days where I was sleeping only every other nite.  So was this due to the increase in Rem or what, I'm not sure. 

I purchased Ora-Plus Sweet and have started a gradual taper.  I crush one 15 mg. tablet and add 15 ml. Ora.  I draw out 3.5 ml. to equal 3.5 mg. Rem.  So far, so good.  Tonite is nite 8 of this dose, and will continue for 4 more wks or so.  Next, will be 3.25 mg, and a step down by .25 mg. every 5 weeks or so. 

My doctor prescribed the Soltabs for me because I thought it would be better to have a water dissolve solution.  But I decided to stick to my regular tablets and crush them and add the Ora or maple syrup.  I think it is better not to change the type of remeron for another.

So stay tuned and we will support each other through the unknown effects of remeron reductions and withdrawals!! :thumbsup::idiot:

Cheers!

Rocko

Hi Rocko, I am very Interested in your w/d taper plan from Remeron so I will be watching closely. I wish you great success! I probably won’t tackle this until after this coming Christmas or even later like May/June of 2019.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jackie B:

Well, another failed taper under my belt.  I crushed a 15 mg. tablet and added the 15 ml of Oral Liquid suspension.  I crashed on nite 11 of this taper -- 1 hr. sleep, diarrhea in the early a.m., and an achy lower back the next day.  I had only gone down to 3.5 mg. of Remeron and I am trying to get off 3.75 mg. (1.4 tablet).  I made up another new batch crushing a 15 mg. tablet and added 15 ml of maple syrup.  Was ok for two nites using this, and then crashed but not as bad.  Threw out the remaining too. 

My next taper will begin after the holidays.  I will try crushing 3.75 mg. remeron and mixing with 3.75 ml. water.  I take all of the dose and see how I do on that for 6 weeks or so.  I so want to believe that remeron will dissolve better with water, but not sure.  Anyway, if that fails, my next option will be to get it made into a liquid using the compounding pharmacy (very pricey). 

I feel this is so experimental for all of us...why can't the big pharma come out with smaller tablets to taper off from?  :idiot:

Best to you...

Rocko :thumbsup:

Hello, I am new to this group. I’m here because I got a really crazy side effect from 3.75 mg of mirtazapine!

I dont take mirtazapine regularly. I only take it when my sleep is really bad.

I usually only need it once every month or two.

But for the past 6 months my sleep has not been so bad and so I did not take it at all!

But last night I took my usual3.75 mg and today I can hardly move! I feel like every muscle and every joint is rusted. Every movement hurts.

What’s going on? I never had this before.

I have been having muscle cramps and spasms as a wdsx of the Valium I am tapering off of. I am at .5 mg with the Valium right now and presently doing a hold.

Iam wonderingly. If this is just a worsening of my wdsx from the Valium of if it could be from the mirtazapine.

Has anyone ever woken in the morning after taking mirtazapine and felt this way!?

Thanks for any calming words and/or advice.

Heathcliff

Heath, when I first started with remeron, the fatigue was crushing. Maybe that is what is impacting you.

I just happened to notice this thread and wanted to pop in. I have been at 15 mg of remeron for about two years--I feel like it no longer helps with sleep or really nausea, why I started taking it. I am thinking of putting my klonopin taper on hold and tapering the mirtazapine instead first. Is this a dumb idea? I just don't know what to do. I am at a point with the k taper that even small dose reductions are killing me, and I haven't slept well in about two months. Just not sure what to do. I feel like the priority should be to get off the K but if the remeron doesn't work anymore, I am not sure it makes sense to stay on it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi NJ:

If I were you, I would continue with the taper off Klonopin and keep the remeron going.  Benzo tapering is bad enough without adding in the AD.  Otherwise, you will not be able to decipher which is creating the issues. 

I tapered off Ativan after a valium crossover, and also Ambien.  I only started up with nightly 3.75 mg. remeron about two years after the taper and I sure wish I hadn't. 

Wishing you a good taper without too many unpleasantries.  :thumbsup:

Best,

Rocko 

Thanks Rocko. I know you are right but I am just disappointed that the remeron works so inconsistently for sleep nowadays. It worked great for the first 18 months. Last night was a good night so hopefully that is a sign that things will improve. Who knows.

Hello everyone,

Please help. For 18 months I planted Rivotril (Klonopin) - ending October 2017. Since December 2017 I have started to reduce Remeron (30 mg dose). Remeron was reduced for 6 months. Termination of Remeron's Reduction June 3, 2018. Now I'm 6 weeks after Remeron's dropout. The third week after I left Remeron, I had problems:

- sleeplessness - several days without sleep, another day 5 minutes of sleep, or 10 minutes, or 20 minutes. I    have a total sleep 1.5 hours a week. Sounds unbelievable, but it's about 1.5 hours a week. Insomnia is the worst thing I am worried about it and probably the consequence of all the other troubles

- Shaking the whole body

- insensitive hands, legs - like wood

- heart pounding - rapid heartbeat for several hours, mainly at night, pressure on the chest

- reluctance to eat - nausea

- Face stiffness - forehead, cheeks, lips, tongue

- jaw pain, teeth

- pressure around the head - inflated brain

- Depression - Feeling crazy

- Unreal sweating of the whole body

I do not remember all the symptoms, but the worst is insomnia. I had little sleep in reducing Rivotrill (Klonopin). Remeron has not helped me for better sleep for two years. I have never been stabilized.

I still hoped that even though I have 2-3 nights without sleep, my body will sleep the next night - it sleeps only a few minutes of light sleep. I'm totally exhausted, and I'm afraid my body will not last. I still hoped to adjust my sleep, did not adjust. Please tell me, should I go back to Remeron? If I should return to Remeron, what dose should I start taking again? How Much Should Remeron Reduce? Do you have any instructions for Liquid Remeron?

Thank you for your advice and help.

Margit.

Have you tried any over the counter meds like Benadryl or melatonin? If it were me I would likely try taking a low dose of tempering every two or three night if that helped me sleep. But that is just me. I don’t care if I cannot live completely med free just need to be free of the benzo. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Hello NJstrength,

thank you for your reaction. Yes, I tried melatonin, also other medications to support sleep and vitamin.

My body rejects everything - all the "medications" made me worse my poor sleep. So now I can not take any medication to improve sleep.

During my entire use of Klonopin (26 years), when I had to take antibiotics, I had a worse sleep. When I was good with antibiotics, I started to sleep well again. I had to eat a lot of fruit to give my body vitamins.

My body was able to respond only to Rivotril (Klonopin) and Remeron.

Last night, I took 7.5 mg of Remeron. Sleep came and the night was calm. I would take Remeron for the rest of my life, but Remeron had little effect on my sleep. Although he helped me yesterday.

Remeron stopped importing into my country. That's why I began to think about reducing Remeron. I had to go to another country where I bought Remeron. Then I started to reduce Remeron. Now I know that I have lowered Remeron very quickly. But I read Professor Ashton's manual. She advises the tablet to half, quarter.

I do not know whether to go back to Remeron and try again to reduce. Or, I have to endure this terrible state. I do not know if my body can hold it.

Thank you.

Margit.

Hi Margarita, I am curios how long you had been off the Klonopin before you started tapering the Remeron? I have been told by many who tapered Remeron to wait until I am passed the benzo withdrawal. Hang in there. These drugs are unbelievably hard to get off of but I really do think it is best to get passed one before trying to do another.

Love, Jackie  :smitten:

Hi Margarita, I am curios how long you had been off the Klonopin before you started tapering the Remeron? I have been told by many who tapered Remeron to wait until I am passed the benzo withdrawal. Hang in there. These drugs are unbelievably hard to get off of but I really do think it is best to get passed one before trying to do another.

Love, Jackie  :smitten:

Hi,

thank you for your response.

On October 18, I ended Klonopin.

On December 19, 2017, I began to reduce Remeron. June 3, ending Remeron's reduction.

Thank you.

Margit.

Hello,

please can anyone write me how to make Remeron's liquid solution? Reduce Remeron daily? How Much Do You Reduce? Please give me instructions on how to reduce. Thank you.

Margit.

Have you checked surviving antidepressants website? They may have more info. I thought that remeron also came in liquid form, but I could be wrong and it may depend on where you live.

I personally feel you may be having issues reducing because you aren't that far our from your benzo jump. GOOD LUCK!

Hello NJ,

thank you very much for the answer. I started to read these pages from the very beginning. There is much valuable information about Remeron's reduction. There is no liquid Remeron in our country.

After reading the many opinions of people writing on this site, I certainly have made a mistake. Soon, after the completion of Klonopin, I began to reduce Remeron. I began to decrease so soon, because I have few Remeron tablets, and the transition to Mirtazapin has not succeeded me. Now I started to take Remeron again, but so far only 7.5 mg. The first night I slept 8 hours, the other night just 5 hours. Thank God for these hours of sleep. In the last 3 weeks I slept for a total of about 5 hours and that's really very little. The third week was the worst for sleep - almost none. I will hope to stabilize at a dose of 7.5 mg Rem. I have to start lowering again and very slowly.

Thank you.

Margit.

Hi Margarita, you can ask Bella Amis to help you, she is a Moderator on this forum. I asked her if she can help me when I am ready and she said she would. I know she has helped others as well. I wish you the best!

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten: