Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi Johnny, I too am waiting until I am through the c/t from Lorazepam withdrawals. I am on 3.75Mg. I am 15 months free from the c/t but still in w/d so waiting for most of the sx’s to go. We might be tapering at the same time.

Jackie  :smitten:

Uh, I jumped.  Well halved the dose 5 days, was so sick on it, I got off.  Had no idea terrible withdrawals after 6 weeks only.

Now it is over a year later, how do I know what is mirtaz withdrawal and which is benzo?  For sure it was the mirtaz that did me in.  Is it possible this is all mirtaz withdrawal?  Would like to think so. 

I’m a little confused, is it 5 days ago or a year ago?

Also I’d imagine 35 years on a benzo to be the culprit as opposed to 6 weeks on mirt.

Over a year ago.

Yes one would think that but until the mirtaz was having a very uneventful taper, not even worried about it.

Have heard of others who have found this a very bad combination.

I’m another who is waiting until most of the Diazepam withdrawals have subsided before I enter the Mirtazapine hell!  And I’m not looking forward to it one bit!

Barbara you may be going into interdose withdrawal while still on your benzos.  It’s probably not clear what’s causing what but does it really matter as long as you know you’re in withdrawal?  I don’t think you’ll be able to be certain until you’re off everything and for quite a while but by your messages you don’t seem sure about whether you want to come off the drugs or not?  (Forgive me if I’ve picked that up incorrectly.)

Hi Johnny, I too am waiting until I am through the c/t from Lorazepam withdrawals. I am on 3.75Mg. I am 15 months free from the c/t but still in w/d so waiting for most of the sx’s to go. We might be tapering at the same time.

Hi Jackie, sorry to hear you are still suffering this far out. Hopefully there will be a turn of fortune for you sometime soon :D

You're doing the right thing in waiting until the right time to do another withdrawal. Especially Mirtazapine!

I too have been concerned about coming off the Mirtazapine. I have spoken to a few people who waited to get through the w/d from the benzo and then was able to get off the Mirt with few problems. I have also talked to friends that came off the Mirt shortly after their tapers from benzodiazepines and suffered extreme w/d. I don’t want to set myself up for failure in thinking this will be a bad w/d. I tapered Valium years ago very slow over two years.After I came off I still suffered w/d for well over 2 years. For some it takes longer to heal from benzo. I really believe it is best to be sure we are not having anymore mental anxiety, depression and body sx’s before attempting another w/d. Or at least I don’t feel I can take it.

Marg, I’m with ya but we will get through it. Others have and so can we. I’m sorry you will have to do this but glad to know I will have some traveling with me on this journey.

Thanks Johnny, wishing you the best too

Barbara, so sorry you are struggling. This is all so hard. So you stopped over a 5 day period the Mirt, a year ago? But you are taking. Benzo now after coming off a benzo? Just trying to understand.

:smitten: :smitten: Jackie

Currently working my way through the whole of this thread but wanted peoples opinions.

My signature shows that I had withdrawn from valium and began withdrawing Mirt straight away. This led to a mega insomnia and made me relapse both meds. Sleep never really improved but from my research people tend to say this is because we need to (hopefully) stabilise on a consistent (correct) dosage once again. But here is my problem, I STILL just don't know which med is causing the insomnia...well kinda, I keep repeating to myself, 'this is mirtazapine causing the insomnia, it's just made worse due to benzo withdrawal'. I still question this because we can never be certain when on multiple meds.

But it's just the insomnia I have seems to be the same one everyone else in Mirtazapine withdrawal mentions, the kind that DOES NOT BUDGE. I'm currently holding on 30mg Mirt in the hope I will stabilise but I have made my first 10% reduction of Diazepam last week. I'm basically stuck in a hard place of not knowing what the hell to do...I even have thoughts like, 'what if Mirt is too activating and that is keeping me awake'and have to remind myself that stability is the most important thing.

Has anyone been through similar or have any advice?

Hi Johnny, I totally understand what you are saying. I have read this whole thread also looking for answers. The one thing I do know is that Mirtazepine/Remeron is more sedating at the lower Mg, 7.5 and 3.75Mg. I believe it is used for anxiety and depression at higher doses. I hope someone else can come along and help with this. It’s very hard to know what is what as far as sx’s go but my thought is the benzo or at least that is what I am hoping and this will end soon. I tapered Valium the first time and Insomnia was bad. At that time that’s all I was on. Hope this helps.

Love, Jackie  :smitten:

I do not know what to do.

Am told this could still be mirtaz withdrawal?  I was on so short a period of time and at low dose.

I was on klon, was tapering myself, when mirtaz caused this mess.

I also would take ambien sometimes or something else as a chronic, long-term, severe insomniac. (pre benzo, too).

I asked for valium vs. klon and slowly tapered over (other than the .002 safety blanket, hehe).  But have never stabilized and pretty nonfunctional, and alone, and it is possible I way be cut off from valium as I made mistake trying to refill too early...

Yes, if something helped me sleep I would stay on it.  I am no longer a purist after well over a year barely surviving.

Benzos can lead to falls/alzheimer's etc... but no sleep for sure leads to both of these, cancer, heart attack, high BP, and on and on.

Marg,

There is only one dose so not sure on your interdose withdrawal comment..?  I never took multiple doses, just at night.

Ideally, sure, get off it all, but need to be able to sleep.

Not found anything natural or alt meds that work.

Can someone please explain to me how they tapered remeron using a scale, I'm using Sandoz pills and they are very hard. I've tried compounded capsules but that didn't work out so well. I'm at 3.75 and the attempt with compounded pills at a 10% reduction left me with even more sleep deprivation ( I've had crippling insomnia since my Dr C/T me off 2 mg of klonopin but even with a reinstatement a year later, my sleep never returned ), brutal hives from head to foot and very nauseated.  I'll assume I need to go slower so nay help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Blue

• 3 weeks later...

I can't tell you as I made the mistake of jumping off it.

But yes, the pills are so tiny!  I think you'd have to make a suspension of some sort....

Barbara:

Oh my goodness, this remeron is so nasty I'm finding it worse than benzo w/d and that's saying something.  What dose did you jump from?

It is a nasty drug!!!! 6 weeks off and suffering greatly with burning thingling head/scalp, severe anxiety, sweating, shaking crying, stomach pain, left side body thingling numbness, nausea, head pressure, tinnitus, not able to sleep...... List is endless.

God help us

Vica

Hi Vica, so sorry you are still suffering so much. I’m sending you a big hug and hope you will start getting better soon. I haven’t started tackling the Remeron yet so I’m not sure what to expect. I remember you saying you came off of it before, correct me if I’m wrong. Did you have trouble the first time after you came off?

Hi Vica, so sorry you are still suffering so much. I’m sending you a big hug and hope you will start getting better soon. I haven’t started tackling the Remeron yet so I’m not sure what to expect. I remember you saying you came off of it before, correct me if I’m wrong. Did you have trouble the first time after you came off?

Yes Jackie, I had trouble the first time when I CT from7.5 mg. was sick for 7 months.

Second time again sick for many moths but went back on benzo and it get better abit.

Feels like my brain is fried and not able to calm down.

2 years 2 times on off benzo and 3 times on off remeron. What did I do to my self??? But mostly allwas doctor recommended to ct or go back on medication. I never took any pills before so I belived doctors.

I find BB only after I stoped benzo the second time.

What a nightmare and I feel I never going to get better. My brain and scalp burning thingling non stop.

Crying all the time.

So sorry for negative post

Thank you for writing me back.

Love and healing

Vica

Vica, when you are in pain for so long you feel like it will not end but despite how horrible you feel please try to have just a little faith that you will get better. Hang on tight to hope no matter what. I understand how hard it is to keep believing. I myself am in the battle of my life and am hanging on to even the tiniest bit of faith that I will be healed at some point. You are off everything now and your body is repairing itself. This takes a very long time but I have seen many recover from unbelievable sx’s so I believe you will too. I have been on here since 2012 and have made friends with many people who have had so many unimaginable sx’s and thought how could they heal but they did. Hang on my friend, you will heal too.

Love, Jackie  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Yes Vica you can do this my friend. Just hang in there and remember that healing is happening all the time.

In many ways I am finding the recovery from remeron much worse than the recovery from benzos. My body is much more sensitive and the really nasty R.L.S , leg and arm cramps and burning at night along with insomnia have been challenging. My doctor put me on a high dose of synthroid for low thyroid which upped every symptom .  I checked my labs and decided after research to stop the synthroid as my thyroid levels were fairly close to normal. I'm slowly feeling that I'm back on track, but a lesson has been learned here. Listen to your body and not the Drs who are not benzo wise.

Jackie, you are wonderful . Good healing to you sugah.  :smitten:

Barbara:

Oh my goodness, this remeron is so nasty I'm finding it worse than benzo w/d and that's saying something.  What dose did you jump from?

Did I not answer you?  I'm sorry if so (I get lost here on BB).  I got up to 7 mg for 2 weeks, then felt horrible so halved it to 3.5 for 5 days then I jumped.  I had horrible visual problems, headache immediately after taking it, off balance, bouncy... severe stuff.

Vica, when you are in pain for so long you feel like it will not end but despite how horrible you feel please try to have just a little faith that you will get better. Hang on tight to hope no matter what. I understand how hard it is to keep believing. I myself am in the battle of my life and am hanging on to even the tiniest bit of faith that I will be healed at some point. You are off everything now and your body is repairing itself. This takes a very long time but I have seen many recover from unbelievable sx’s so I believe you will too. I have been on here since 2012 and have made friends with many people who have had so many unimaginable sx’s and thought how could they heal but they did. Hang on my friend, you will heal too.

Love, Jackie  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you Jackie all your kind words  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm try to hang on and pushing forward. Feels like a bad nightmare.

Thank you again to write back to me!!!!

Love and healing :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Vica

I would like to hear about how long Remeron withrawl last for you?

Acute and completely healing!

Thanks

Love and healing

Vica

• 2 weeks later...

Vica,

How are you doing?

Did the CBD oil help?  Did you take it only once off?

Hope you are ok.  I thought to check back in here!

I'm also on Mirtazipine and plan to come off it once I'm off Valium. I didn't realise that you can also have withdrawal from this drug. So I have a 'double whammy' coming up then  :(