Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Yes the waves and windows are similar to the benzo waves and windows . I had more pain in acute with the remeron but otherwise it was much the same.

If I was doing it again I would get the tabs compounded into a liquid and taper at a rate of 1 mg every two weeks . Using a starting dosage of 3.75 mg the taper would take about seven weeks.

I’ll be following because at some point I will need to taper as well. I wish you luck LaHenz! We need it going through all of this hell.

Jackie  :smitten:

Thank you Jackie!  I plan to go slow and see how it goes.

LaHenz  :)

I've been benzo free for approx 13 weeks and given I did a very slow taper, I thought I could go ahead and start the remeron taper but it's only been 4 days at .25 drop from 3.75 to 3.50 and I'm getting slammed badly. My entire benzo taper was horrendous due to kindling but I sure wasn't expecting this from remeron  :(  Could it be that the compounded capsules are made from a different brand are causing issues? Or should I wait longer before attempting another taper?  This feels just like benzo w/d with brutal sleep deprivation, horrible migraines, Gi distress and my whole body is covered in hives and huge welts so I've obviously had a bad histamine reaction. This is actually worse than my benzo w/d... :(

Blue

I for one certainly underestimated how brutal the remeron withdrawal would be . I got slammed and in many ways the symptoms were as bad or worse than the symptoms had been post benzo jump.

I for one certainly underestimated how brutal the remeron withdrawal would be . I got slammed and in many ways the symptoms were as bad or worse than the symptoms had been post benzo jump.

Hi brave,

Are you getting better now or do you feel any improvement at all?

Love and healing to you

Vica

Thanks Vica for the good wishes. I am feeling some improvement although the waves can still get a little bouncy. Most of the time I'm feeling not too bad, and even the worse symptoms are better than at the beginning of the post jump stage. The waves are a little shorter and my sleep is better. Still a lot of waking ups throughout the night , but in between I get good rest and pleasant dreams are returning.

How are you doing ?.

Hi Brave! So happy you are doing better, that's awesome! You said you would cut over a7week period 1Mg cuts from 3.75Mg. I will probably have to cut my pill and weigh it and hold 2 weeks. Is that a long enough taper then in your opinion? Also could you describe the acute pain, Is it stomach pain that you are referring to? Thank you again for your help and once again I am so happy you are feeling better.

Just wanted to throw something out about timing. Remeron half life can be 40 hours so it can take up to 8 days to reach a steady blood level of your new dose. Can feel the effects after 3-4 days however. Cutting every week may be too quick. You will know when you make a cut. If no issues after a week, then that’s great and no need to drag it out any longer than you have to.

Jackie I would make cuts every two weeks and jump at about six to seven weeks. Remeron is such a beast that I think that a longer taper would be less shock to the C.N.S. It would also help in not getting smacked with really bad rebounding insomnia. I suggested a compounded liquid because the tiny crumbs could get tricky.

My first few nights after my abrupt jump were not too bad. At about two weeks I was getting interrupted sleep. Two and a half weeks I was in Hell with restless leg syndrome which went through my entire body, lower leg and arm burning and pain , and depression. I was also getting heart palps. The acute lasted about three weeks and is very slowly getting better. Days are pretty good as are the nights when I am in a window.

Ryan is right in that the remeron stays in your body and the post jump side effects take a while to show up. I researched this and it is a sad fact. You think that you are in the clear and then surprise, surprise. But we are warriors and we can and will get through this. It's just an unexpected bump in the road.

Oh Brave, you are so kind. So when I ask my doctor am I asking for a compounded liquid? Is there anything specific about the liquid? And you say 1 Mg cuts every 2 weeks? I was also curious how long you had been off benzo before this Remeron? I have been told to wait until I am passed the benzo w/d as much as I can. Thank you again!

:smitten:

Question for you mirtazapine people.

If you read my sig, you will see that taking 6 weeks, low dose mirtaz wrecked me.  I was getting sicker on it (orbs around light bulbs,  floaty boat feeling, headaches), so jumped off after 5 day taper (half)  then a wreck and bedridden.

That was a year ago.

What complicates this is was given mirtaz for sleep as have prior longstanding primary sleep prob (pre benzo).

Unfortunately, at the time-- well, at about a month after mirtaz-- went to FB group where some admin told me to get off benzos.  Probably bad idea as my CNS was already fried.  They insisted this was benzo withdrawal not mirtaz.  ??

Question is, at this point, how to get stable.  I function better than I did, lower dose of benzos, but taking ambien to sleep.

Just thought would post here see what you all think.

thanks.

Jackie . Your Dr should know of a pharmacy that would be able to compound the 15mg remeron tabs into a liquid , then you can start your slow taper of I mg every two weeks. I jumped from remeron at eleven months post benzo jump. Another factor that was not in my favor was that I had just got over the flu when I jumped from the remeron. I know , how stupid was that  :idiot:

Barbara . If I were you I would continue with the benzo taper  and make that the prime objective. Hopefully it will get a little easier and you will start having some windows. The ambien is a z drug and eventually you will have to taper down from that , but Dr Ashton advises only tapering one drug at a time. A damaged C.N.S. can only take so much.

And remember , each and every day we stick with the program brings healing. We may not feel it but it is happening

Has anyone had such a severe allergic reaction like me...I changed from sandoz pills to a compounded capsule and developed huge welts and hives from head to foot?  I think remeron has been very toxic for me but my Valium taper was brutal so I couldn't take anymore w/d's so here I'm stuck trying to get off it now. The compound pharmacist didn't think a brand change could do this but it's the only thing that I've changed????

Blue

I don't have a rabbit but there is a reason for my avatar. My uncle kept show rabbits . When I was little he 'Invited' me into the rabbit house and fondled me in an inappropriate way. I remember looking at the rabbits and feeling that they were my friends , comforting and helping me through the ordeal and telling me to be brave. I have loved rabbits ever since and in my mind they have been associated with bravery. Getting through this ordeal with at least a modicum of grace and dignity is certainly one of the hardest things I have ever done , so 'Brave Rabbit' is the perfect avatar.

So sorry Brave, and yes you are very brave. No child should ever experience this from anyone but an uncle, this just makes me sad and mad.

Aww, Brave Rabbit, sorry to learn of this ;(

Yes, rabbits are very sweet and caring and sensitive, by and large.  Have had some really, really great pets over the years-- just so outstanding in every way.  A lot of work, but worth it.

Have to say current rescue is a bit of a dud, but, oh well.

I was hoping someone could help me with remeron

Was on 45 mg for 2 years and tapered it in 6 weeks

I have been off for almost 5 months but am suffering

Acute non stop torture and little sleep, is it toolate to reinstate

Please help!

Sorry you healed from benzos and now have to deal with this. I’ve read where A/Ds are not like benzos as far as  kindling. I’ve read of successfully reinstatement’s after months and a slow taper from there. Just what I’ve read. What sxs are you having and have you seen any improvements at all?