Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hey Beste, Remeron shouldn't exacerbate your T. It's the only AD out there known to not cause T, so you should be okay getting off it.

Thank you blandthrax

That is good to know.

:smitten:

Has anyone had any noticeable negative effects from taking Remeron besides weight gain?

dp/dr, nightmares/dreams, hallucinations, hangovers, headaches ... I'm so done with brain drugs.

Has anyone had any noticeable negative effects from taking Remeron besides weight gain?

I get the occasional constipation which I think could be from the remeron. Can't be sure though. Appetite is definitely super high right from the first week I started. I've started to reduce the dose from 1/2 to 1/4th pill, not expecting a big difference in sxs but I'm curious to find out and I don't need it much for sleep anymore so just decided to reduce the dose and see if I feel any different.

What's the usual jump point for this stuff? Like Ashton says to jump off Valium at .5mg so at what dose is Remeron more or less useless?

Also, I read that the half-life is 20-40 hours and that it takes about 5 days for steady plasma levels to be attained. This would seem to indicate to me that it should take that long for any significant cuts to really take effect, but I'm probably wrong.

Can anyone illuminate me on this?

Hey!

I also wonder...

I quit benzo in November, having had lots of terrible days in waves. I use Remeron, for depression, and for sleep. What can happen to me when I stop taking it? It must be a lot of things, since this group has written 121 pages.

I've read a lot about it and from what I have gathered, the 3 worst symptoms it could produce are insomnia, stomach issues and obviously a rebound in depression/anxiety

While I have read some things that have scared me, nothing I have read sounds as bad or as long as benzo wd.

I tried stopping the other day, I got really sick and had all my symptoms multiply, but it's hard to tell what's what since I am still so messed up from the benzos. I do believe Remeron may be doing me more harm than good. I think some of my issues may be side effects, as I am now very sensitive to drugs.

From what I can gather, discontinuation symptoms vary but some people report having problems for weeks or even months. Others say they had no problems whatsoever. I'm now down in the 3.5 range and feeling quite well. I did have an uptick in anxiety over the past week but I could attribute that to other factors. At this point though, my anxiety has vanished and the depression is actually starting to lift.

I'm with CrazyPants on this one, it doesn't sound remotely as bad as benzos. I'm going to continue to taper off and be done with it. I'm not expecting a lot of drama if I take a few more weeks to do it, shouldn't even need to fill this other script I have.

Blandthrax

Hi my friend.... how is your tapering schedule for Remeron?? Can you please elaborate...???

I am also taking it and want to setup a plan to taper that off.

All the best

Good morning, all.  I am also interested in tapering information about mirtazapine.  I was on it during my benzo taper and for about 2.5 months or so after.  I think I tapered off of the mirtazapine too quickly (and too soon after jumping from benzo), though, because insomnia, anxiety and depression s/x began to worsen considerably after being off it for about 1 month.  Of course,that may have been benzo waves and the possibility that the mirtazapine was insulating me from the nastier benzo withdrawals while I was on it.

I reinstated mirt. about 2.5 weeks ago due to deteriorating sleep issues.  After some doseage adjustment, I am now on 3.75 and hoping it will help.  I did find, however, that during this doseage adjustment, I developed more twitches and body jerks when attempting to sleep.  Also, on one particularly bad night, I had what must be auditory hallucinations (very weird) and strong heart palpitations (very scary).  So I think the mirtazapine did have more of an impact than I'd previously thought, and I will need to be much slower in my next taper of the mirt.

Blandthrax, are you using a liquid form of mirtazapine to taper in small increments?  I am nervous about this next taper, but I am so ready to be off all meds!  I will be taking it much slower in tapering this time, and with knowing a little more about what to expect maybe that will help me with whatever withdrawal issues come up once I'm off the mirtazapine.

Blandthrax, are you using a liquid form of mirtazapine to taper in small increments?  I am nervous about this next taper, but I am so ready to be off all meds!  I will be taking it much slower in tapering this time, and with knowing a little more about what to expect maybe that will help me with whatever withdrawal issues come up once I'm off the mirtazapine.

No, I'm using a mg scale, the same as I did with Valium. I don't have a schedule that I'm following, I'm just making cuts, holding for a few days, then cutting again. I'm finding that as I go lower, my head is starting to clear and I'm feeling better. The worst part of taking this crap for me are the hangovers.

I think most of the so-called withdrawals symptoms we feel from the mirt are actually from the benzos. Mirt tends to mask those symptoms, but for me, I don't have higher quality sleep taking it. I've had some pretty awful sleep on it actually.

For me personally, it's time I learn how to do this on my own, unaided by any medication. The biggest decision I have to make at this point is when to jump. Tonight I'm down to 3mg, but I went to sleep last night (turned out the light) at 12:30 and got up this morning at 8:30, so if I can get my sleeping schedule regulated, then that's the most important step for me right there.

I have been taking 15 mg of remeron for a while now for sleep. The past week I have been traveling and have been taking 30mg as sleep is harder to come by when I am traveling. Do you think I can just go back to 15mg and go on from there or will bring on 30mg for a week be long enough to require I taper slowly back to 15???

Pokey

I have been taking 15 mg of remeron for a while now for sleep. The past week I have been traveling and have been taking 30mg as sleep is harder to come by when I am traveling. Do you think I can just go back to 15mg and go on from there or will bring on 30mg for a week be long enough to require I taper slowly back to 15???

Pokey

I don't think you'll have a problem. I've tapered down to 1.5mg and symptoms have been minimal.

Ok thanks. I'll try cutting back to 22.5 a couple three nights and then go back to 15mg.  I'd like to get off Remeron comletely and only take it when I travel or such events that make sleeping more difficult. It doesnot take much to interrupt my sleep while I have a couple friends who can sleep on a flat rock in a hail storm. I tell them hate them  :laugh:

Pokey

I am on my benzo taper and went down from 15- 13.75 remeron

First couple of days felt better actually

Then something emotional happened so it's hard to say if it was the remeron or the emotionality

Should I do benzo taper first?

I am currently on 3mg of Valium but incredible burning all over and pelvic pain

Thank you

Doing a liquid daily micro taper.

I am on my benzo taper and went down from 15- 13.75 remeron

First couple of days felt better actually

Then something emotional happened so it's hard to say if it was the remeron or the emotionality

Should I do benzo taper first?

I am currently on 3mg of Valium but incredible burning all over and pelvic pain

Thank you

Doing a liquid daily micro taper.

The prevailing wisdom is that you always taper the benzo first, go through acute, and then taper anything else. Most people wait about 6 months before trying to taper off an AD or similar medication.

Hi , I am new to this group.

Found you by accident! Glad I did!

I am in the middle of a Valium taper and have terrible insomnia.

I have questions about mirtazapine for sleep.

I know that mirt is best for sleep in low doses , like 3.75 or even lower.

I know it can be addicting at higher doses, like as an antidepressant.

Questions:

Can I take 3.75 in an inconsistent way? Like only every 3or 4 or 5 days when I really haven't slept much  for 2 or 3 nights?

I read posts where people say they take the drug consistently every night. But is it ok to take it in an inconsistent way?

Is it addicting if taken only once every 4-5 days? Only when I really need it? Does that mean I would get withdrawal effects between doses? Or does  it mean I would NOT get addicted?

I really don't want to take it at all, but, hey, golly, I JUST HAVE TO SLEEP!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies or help you can give me.

Heathcliff

Can you get Remeron or generic mirtazapine in liquid form in the USA, California? If you can't, how can you taper down successfully?

I am so afrId of getting addicted and having to taper off of it.

Have any of you taken mirtazapine on an inconsistent basis, like once every 5 days, only when needed? Or do you have to take it consistently once you start it?

If I took it at 3.75 fir sleep inconsistently, would I be asking for trouble? Would I get withdrawal between those days? I am so afraid of another addicting drug! Getting of of Valium is hard enough! Please help! I hope someone will answer me.

Can you get Remeron or generic mirtazapine in liquid form in the USA, California? If you can't, how can you taper down successfully?

I am so afrId of getting addicted and having to taper off of it.

Have any of you taken mirtazapine on an inconsistent basis, like once every 5 days, only when needed? Or do you have to take it consistently once you start it?

If I took it at 3.75 fir sleep inconsistently, would I be asking for trouble? Would I get withdrawal between those days? I am so afraid of another addicting drug! Getting of of Valium is hard enough! Please help! I hope someone will answer me.

Yes, you can get generic. I did a 10 month liquid titration after waiting 5  months after geting off Klonopin. My experience with Remeron has been that the withdrawal has been even worse than Klonopin.  If you can, I'd stay away from it and possibly save yourself years of more misery.  you maybe be fine, but it's playing with fire.      I'm 37 months off Klonopin and 21 months off Remeron, and still in hell.  I'm thinking its the Remeron now.  Dont sell your soul for the sleep that Remeron can give you.  It hasnt been worth it for me.  Hope I dont sound too alarming, but that's been my experience.  Good luck.  BT.

Oh!! i've been reading this thread because Im on agony of insomnia while tapering, I ask my doc if she can prescribe me mirt but she refuse. dont know what to do, maybe a blessing not to take or to take??/

Mcm,

I used to be on this medication for depression 45 mg. so I still have some if I need it for sleep but only "if". It is best if you can let you body recover it's natural rhythm again. I am really sorry you are suffering so badly. Sleep is so important, I know I am lucky so far with no problems in this area.  I got off this medication without any problems, just some aches and pains for two weeks. I would be okay with it for sleep because only tiny amounts are needed - 1/8th of a tablet. I used it a few times in the past year in emergencies but I don't need it for now thankfully. :thumbsup:

Sending you healing hugs and I hope you get a good night soon.  :smitten: :smitten:

Moya XXX

Mcm,

I used to be on this medication for depression 45 mg. so I still have some if I need it for sleep but only "if". It is best if you can let you body recover it's natural rhythm again. I am really sorry you are suffering so badly. Sleep is so important, I know I am lucky so far with no problems in this area.  I got off this medication without any problems, just some aches and pains for two weeks. I would be okay with it for sleep because only tiny amounts are needed - 1/8th of a tablet. I used it a few times in the past year in emergencies but I don't need it for now thankfully. :thumbsup:

Sending you healing hugs and I hope you get a good night soon.  :smitten: :smitten:

Moya XXX

thanks Moya, it is started lastweek this is my worse symptoms thats the reason why im trying to gather information if in case my I can convince my GP to prescribe but she didn't give me prescription today, she said once I strted I need to be in that medication for atleast a year.  how long did you take mirt and did you take it everyday or as needed.  just a bit desperate cause I need to improve my sleep.  or maybe I'm giving my body to adjust hope it will get back to normal very soon.  Regards,  mcm

Mcm

I was on it for a few years and I took it daily. It did make me tired back then and I put on a lot of weight.  I have been off it for 2 years and I was having problems with insomnia and a buddy mentioned using a small amount of Mirt. I had some of the tablets still and I took just half of one and an hour later, I wanted to go to bed and I had the best sleep in years.  :thumbsup: I took it recently when my mother was so ill for 3 nights, just a quarter of a tablet each night and sleep was really good. I have not taken it since and had no side effects at all.

It is an AD and as an AD it needs to be taken for months to know the effects. As a sleeping aid, it just needs one hour before it starts to work (for me anyway). I intend holding the few tablets I have left from 2 years ago and using them IF I really have problems with sleep.  I am not fearful of Mirt at all but some buddies have had problems and as you know, we are all different. This may not help you at all??? I believe in trying though when I am not able to function. I am coming off medication for a better life not one that is unmanageable. I keep this in mind for myself. I don't want to have the last years of my life full of suffering. I had a tolerance problem with Valium so it is sensible to come off it now. I came off everything except one AD (Prothiaden) before my Valium taper. I am still on Prothiaden. It helps with anxiety I think. :thumbsup: I will hold on to it for now. :thumbsup:

Love Moya XXX

I'm off benzos for some time now. Finished a taper of doxepin in March. I was on that for 30 years. My doxepin taper went ok. However, I continued to wake up tired most of the time. A complaint I have had for some time, even before I got off the doxepin. My doc put me on 15mg of mirtazipine to see if would help. I sleep 7-8 hours, but still have the fatigue. Three weeks a ago I left for a trip back east and was gone two weeks. Every time I travel I have trouble sleeping. I was in a different bed just about every other day. I ended up taking 30mg of mirtazipine while traveling and noticed that I felt more rested during those three weeks. Now that I am back home I went back to the 15mg dose and the fatigue is returning. This of course makes me wonder if I should take 30mg instead of 15? My main concern with doing so is being on more of another drug, but not sure 30 v 15 makes any difference in that regard and would it boost my appetite and make me gain weight. So far the mirtazipine has not caused me to gain weight. Also wondering after a certain amount of time if the 30mg would  loose its affect and I'd end up waking up fatigued again? I'm not anxious to take more of a drug, but Im tired of being tired.

Pokey

thanks Pokey for sharing your experienced.  hope your fatigue feeling will be gone and back to normal sleep pattern.