Important Survey - Please Participate ×

PLEASE DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WHEN YOU FEEL RECOVERED

[Wh...]

Thought I would add my personal experiences here for anyone that comes along this thread in the future. It seems to be the Benzobuddies guide to alcohol experiences.

Being in the alcohol industry being able to drink socially, as well as taste products for my retail space, is very important. I also won't lie, I do enjoy it. I've been done with ativan for just over six months now and over the last month and half or so I've slowly worked from a half glass of wine to a glass and a half.

This past weekend visiting my wife's family between 7 pm and 1 pm the next day, I consumed 2 alcoholic beverages (4 hour span), a 12 ounce cup of coffee, and MSG (was taken to a Ramen shop for lunch). The only noticeable change has been some chest tightness today (2 days later). However I know myself and can almost guarantee that this very mild anxiety is coming from me monitoring for and being slightly fearful of a setback. Once I get my confidence back I believe that will probably dissipate. I can say that in the first few months off both coffee and msg would get to me, so those sensitivities have certainly faded a great deal.

I will also state that this is my first WD from any benzo's, and I was a short term user. My WD is also more of the uncomfortable/weird variety rather than the extremely severe and debilitating type that is sadly seen here so often. I don't know if the severity of WD factors into this at all, but it would make sense that a more severe case would have a much more sensitive CNS for a longer period of time.

Anyhow, that's where I seem to be at right now, I'll update here as I continue testing the waters.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wh...]

• [Bo...]

• [Sk...]

• [su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would add my personal experiences here for anyone that comes along this thread in the future. It seems to be the Benzobuddies guide to alcohol experiences.

Being in the alcohol industry being able to drink socially, as well as taste products for my retail space, is very important. I also won't lie, I do enjoy it. I've been done with ativan for just over six months now and over the last month and half or so I've slowly worked from a half glass of wine to a glass and a half.

This past weekend visiting my wife's family between 7 pm and 1 pm the next day, I consumed 2 alcoholic beverages (4 hour span), a 12 ounce cup of coffee, and MSG (was taken to a Ramen shop for lunch). The only noticeable change has been some chest tightness today (2 days later). However I know myself and can almost guarantee that this very mild anxiety is coming from me monitoring for and being slightly fearful of a setback. Once I get my confidence back I believe that will probably dissipate. I can say that in the first few months off both coffee and msg would get to me, so those sensitivities have certainly faded a great deal.

I will also state that this is my first WD from any benzo's, and I was a short term user. My WD is also more of the uncomfortable/weird variety rather than the extremely severe and debilitating type that is sadly seen here so often. I don't know if the severity of WD factors into this at all, but it would make sense that a more severe case would have a much more sensitive CNS for a longer period of time.

Anyhow, that's where I seem to be at right now, I'll update here as I continue testing the waters.

Thank you, Clarity! I know we're all different but it's still nice to read an alcohol success story! Ha!

I'm not even sure if this is a thread I've commented on or just read, but now that I'm in this comment, I'll just continue with my story ...

I CT'd December 5th (2015). January 20th, a couple of weeks after getting home from treatment, I drank for my cousin's birthday. I drank heavily. I hadn't yet found BB, I only felt a touch anxious, I didn't have any sxs aside from mild anxiety. Now I'm not sure if post acute would've been this bad once it hit or if it was the alcohol, but the night of my hangover, the tinnitus woke me up. "The pit" in my stomach hit my like a ton of bricks the next day. After that, came the fear and paranoia. Point is - I went from anxious but sociable into the pits of hell and it all started the night after I drank. Now, it was early on and I did drink a lot, but still. Personally, I'm waiting at least a year *after* I feel 100%.

Prayers for all!

Never again!

Interesting, it seems that alcohol actually triggered your worst WD. I've read of that happening to one other person, but most cases seem to be a flare of symptoms for a bit. Did they put you on any other drugs in treatment? Sometimes they'll use phenobarbital which has a very long half life so it's possible that wearing off + the booze coincided with that reaction.

I think waiting a year + after the cessation of symptoms is a good move. I've been close to symptom free - I say close because its become hard for me to determine if its benzos or just life that creates the stress, for about three months or so, and thought it was time for a slight test. I don't intend on drinking much or often for a long time yet.

I do wonder if we're able to totally go back to previous drinking levels. I guess time will tell. Hang in there I'llnever, I hope you're doing well.

Interesting, it seems that alcohol actually triggered your worst WD. I've read of that happening to one other person, but most cases seem to be a flare of symptoms for a bit. Did they put you on any other drugs in treatment? Sometimes they'll use phenobarbital which has a very long half life so it's possible that wearing off + the booze coincided with that reaction.

I think waiting a year + after the cessation of symptoms is a good move. I've been close to symptom free - I say close because its become hard for me to determine if its benzos or just life that creates the stress, for about three months or so, and thought it was time for a slight test. I don't intend on drinking much or often for a long time yet.

I do wonder if we're able to totally go back to previous drinking levels. I guess time will tell. Hang in there I'llnever, I hope you're doing well.

Yep - phenobarb, seroquel and buspar. Lol I needed all.

I'm convinced it's why I'm this bad, to be honest. I felt fine after treatment. (Not "fine", but functional, ya know?") The gates of hell began opening the night of my hangover. I'll never know. This was before I knew anything about GABA or BB or anything.

I won't be in a rush to drink. I miss it. But, with how good they say we feel to be able to live again, once we're healed. Hell many say they feel better than they ever did. I won't wanna mess with that. But, like I said, I miss it. I don't think I'll be able to go back to how I drank - tolerance will be way down. That'll be a good thing lol!

So glad to read you've next to no sxs. That's great. Keep it up.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I don't blame you for not being in a rush. I wouldn't be if it wasn't such a huge part of my life. I do intend on taking it easy for  a very long time.

Hi there,

Thought i would update for anybody who is interested. The return of my anxiety sfx after drinking too much and too often went away after 5 days straight of no alcohol. So it only put me out 5 days. But like others have said, my sfx were pretty mild compared to others in this forum.

Just wanted to put it out there that's it's not a long pit of hell for all of those who drank. I did drink quite a bit to go backwards if that makes sense.

Hi there,

Thought i would update for anybody who is interested. The return of my anxiety sfx after drinking too much and too often went away after 5 days straight of no alcohol. So it only put me out 5 days. But like others have said, my sfx were pretty mild compared to others in this forum.

Just wanted to put it out there that's it's not a long pit of hell for all of those who drank. I did drink quite a bit to go backwards if that makes sense.

THANK YOU!! This gives me hope for the future. I don't plan on consuming alcohol for at least a year *after* I'm healed, but still. Sounds like eventually, we can all drink. Eventually!

You are welcome :) everybody is different though. Just like how we are different going through withdrawal with various sfx of different intensity. If you had really bad sfx you  might want to take it easy. I drank during my taper. Not much but for special occaisions only. while the sfx were a bit worse the next day it went after a day or so. Good luck :)

Hi there,

That's looks like one of my bad hang overs after doing exactly what you said drinking a fair bit, or what I called the week end bender :D That used to put in a dad place for 3 to 5 days and just one night over doing it would also take a few days to recover. :o And that was before the Benzo problems, so if it happened after I was off and had drank a LOT it would just be normal to me not sxs returned ;D

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I had the same problem with Alcohol. Last year I was 20 months off and feel great for two months and I had a few drinks out with the guys trying to be normal and boom every acute symptom came back. The nausea, anxiety, fear as bad as day one. I didn't put it together at the time. I thought I was just having a wave.

This lasted 6 months. Two days before Christmas I began feeling well again and it lasted until the end of February. I had two bears two nights in a row. I avoided having more than that thinking I would be playing it safe on such small intake. No such luck. Within a day or two I was back to Acute again and with all the horrible symptoms. I'm now at 30 months off and sick. I likely have a couple more months before I break free again and when I do I'm never touching alcohol again.

I  don't know why it sets back all the healing but it does. I could have been better last year had I not touched alcohol. It burns me. I had to go on disability again due to this. It will be a miracle if I can hold onto my job at this point.

It's not worth it. Stay the hell away from alcohol.

Honestly, after that long of benzo use that you had, I mean 20 years is a long time and some people combine benzos and alcohol for those 20 years, imagine that combo.

Then a single year taper to get off, I think you are great 37 months, but you would honestly need flumazenil to really reset everything receptor wise.

And even after that I probably would still stay away. But there are studies for resetting the receptors in people like you using it.

One day it will be out there for it.

Doctors just are so hesitant with stuff people need, research is so slow it is frustrating, like please, get stuff done, you know lololl

• 1 year later...

Thank you, Clarity! I know we're all different but it's still nice to read an alcohol success story! Ha!

I'm not even sure if this is a thread I've commented on or just read, but now that I'm in this comment, I'll just continue with my story ...

I CT'd December 5th (2015). January 20th, a couple of weeks after getting home from treatment, I drank for my cousin's birthday. I drank heavily. I hadn't yet found BB, I only felt a touch anxious, I didn't have any sxs aside from mild anxiety. Now I'm not sure if post acute would've been this bad once it hit or if it was the alcohol, but the night of my hangover, the tinnitus woke me up. "The pit" in my stomach hit my like a ton of bricks the next day. After that, came the fear and paranoia. Point is - I went from anxious but sociable into the pits of hell and it all started the night after I drank. Now, it was early on and I did drink a lot, but still. Personally, I'm waiting at least a year *after* I feel 100%.

Prayers for all!

Never again!

To be honest it sounds your brain was on the threshold of withdrawal, and the alcohol just went and pushed it over the threshold. With CTing off Xanax and getting that reaction, even if you didn’t drink the alcohol, my guess would be a week or three later you would have had the acute hit just as bad. I sort of had something similar happen with Benadryl and on a separate occasion alcohol. 4 weeks before acute, Benadryl sent be into a night of acute, but I was better the next morning. Two weeks later, drank heavily at a party and was in acute for 2-3 days. Then two weeks after that (once I was down to about 2mg diazepam from 10) acute hit. So I think it was coming either way.

Alcohol works on the same exact gaba receptor as benzos. Our brains need more time to fully heal. I will not be touching alcohol for years. I have never really liked it anyways.

I love my life so much the way it is, I don't need to be numbed for any reason. Life is way too precious to miss a moment for a few hours of so called "bliss."

Be smart, and avoid if for a long, long time.

Alcohol works on the same exact gaba receptor as benzos. Our brains need more time to fully heal. I will not be touching alcohol for years. I have never really liked it anyways.

I love my life so much the way it is, I don't need to be numbed for any reason. Life is way too precious to miss a moment for a few hours of so called "bliss."

Be smart, and avoid if for a long, long time.

Thank you for posting.  Some of us are clearly susceptible to setbacks from alcohol and some of us to very, very long setbacks.  I still have not returned to normal and have not had one drop of alcohol since those fateful drinks so long ago.

I just want people to be aware that alcohol could cause a problem because I had not heard that it could and in fact Ashton says in her manual that it's okay.  It clearly is not okay for some of us.

I can easily take a pass on the hard stuff , also beer. Iced lemon water or tea is lovely thank you very much , but WINE. O.M.G !!!! The thought of never having another glass of that delicious nectar fills me with grief. I grew up in a wine drinking family. Also I am Jewish and the promised land was not just about milk and honey.

So here is the dilemma . When I am healed I will be taking a graduation trip ,and flying back to England and my beloved Cornwall. Wine will be offered on the plane , so do I enjoy and run the risk of messing up my much deserved vacation and maybe beyond, or do I do the sensible thing and have a club soda on the rocks. At the next Seder do I toss back the multiple cups of wine or  say ' Next year in Jerusalem' and imbibe my new best friend , club soda on the rocks.

So gosh darn it, there is only one answer. Because I have no way of knowing if wine is 'Safe '. I will have to avoid it. The momentary pleasure simply is not worth the risk  :(

Hang in there brave rabbit!

I’m about 5 years off and about 3.5-4 years healed, and I waited until 2 years off to reintroduce caffeine and alcohol both.

I don’t limit my caffeine intake at all; I’ll usually have a few coffees or teas in a day with no problem (except you know, normal caffeine raciness ;) ).

As far as alcohol, I’ve had beer and wine on several occasions over the past 2-2.5 years. I haven’t had a single problem yet. The most beer I’ve had is about 18oz of 5.8% lager and the most wine I’ve had is 1.5 5oz glasses of 13% wine. Usually I’ll just stick to a 12oz beer.

I will say, just because I’ve read others bad reactions to alcohol, I still get worried when I drink any alcohol that “oh no, what if this is the one that does it”... But to date I have zero experience to back that up. Every time I have a drink or two I turn out fine.

So not all of us are doomed to no alcohol ever again. I would venture to even say most of us will probably be able to drink alcohol (in moderation) again. It’s just a matter of how much time we give ourselves to recover.

One question I have for everyone: If it’s expected that we’ll be able to tolerate sedation (even a one off dose of a benzo) or anesthesia once healed, why would the same not apply to alcohol? They work similarly, so I would just expect that having a drink or a few wouldn’t pose a problem after a few years healed?

And also, I - like others - value the integrity of my mind, and do not want to do anything to compromise my healing. However, in many cultures around the world, especially in North America and Europe, alcohol is a big piece of the social scene, especially for younger members of society. For extroverts who actively want to engage in social activity and for those who just enjoy the occasional drink and the atmosphere it provides, not being able to enjoy that again one day can be a heartbreaking thought. Sure, I don’t need alcohol to have a good time when I go out, but I just feel more connected to the people I’m with when I’m drinking with them than when I’m just tagging along hanging out. So I can fully understand why anyone would want to be able to drink again. For myself and many here I’m sure, being able to enjoy a drink again is part of healing. For those of you who want to drink again, I understand completely where you’re coming from, and it’s okay to want to return to normalcy. And for those who don’t want to ever drink again and not risk compromising their mental health, that’s totally okay too.

If being able to have a drink is important to you, that’s totally cool. I just recommend going about it the right way. Don’t start too soon; wait until well after you feel healed. Also, start slow. Don’t start with a full beer or a whole glass of wine. Start with a sip or two of wine or a few sips of beer, then work your way up every 4-7 days from there assuming all goes well.

I will also say that if you search through this thread and the forum in general, it seems most people that have had bad experiences with alcohol have a 2-4 day setback, then they return to the point they were before. Everybody is different of course, but it seems that as long as you start slow and don’t get hammered 6 months after your last benzo, if anything bad does happen, the surge in symptoms will likely be pretty short term.

I also forgot to mention that Dr Ashton in the original manual seemed to think that sensible amounts of wine and caff, coffee were ok. I'm not sure but that might have been revised.

I'm afraid that in the U.K. and parts of Europe , drinking has become a problem. I think that it's all about the buzz, and it leads to nasty and disgusting behaviour. More than once when staying at London hotels I have observed people throwing up in the lifts and corridors ,because they could not get to a bathroom quickly enough.

Hi there,

I had to stick my nose in as alcohol binges have plagued my taper. 5 days is always the magic number. I'm almost 100% positive Klonopin made me a binge drinker so I plan to never drink again ( but I often mess up )... I'm really sorry for those who are normal drinkers! It's very unfair, but I do read this intolerance has gone away with some after a couple years.

Glad you’re able to have a bit of normalcy back, Songbird!

Just wanted to say I can identify with where you’re coming from. I’ll be turning 25 in January, and I completely agree; I feel like in some ways benzos have taken away my early 20s in many ways. But darn it, I’m taking them back! :)

Going out for a pint of Guinness tonight with a couple friends... Praying all goes well. 8)

Hey guys so I am healed, was healed after 4 months, took Klonopin for about 4 years, I'm 25, my birthday was a few months ago and it just wasn't reasonable for to cut out alcohol, I didn't drink my entire taper though, about ten months, but had my first drink about a month and a half ago and was totally fine, I've drank every few days just a one or two vodka sodas or a few glasses of wine and I was totally fine, so I do think you can drink and be ok, just wanted to throw that out there. I think benzos have taken away enough for so many of us, for me it was my early twenties, I don't want to be that person who can't be young and go out and have fun. Everybody is different so don't let a lot of the fear mongering on here or blanket statements like "never drink again" freak you out

My goal in posting this topic was not to fear monger but to warn those who might be sensitive to understand that alcohol might cause problems.  Since you recovered in 4 months, sorry but that is nothing.  Clearly you were not damaged like some of us have been if you can drink without any problem.  Huge difference in experiences.  I am not talking to people like you with this warning, not at all.  Enjoy your drinks and your life.  I hope you never have to walk the path I have walked.  Take good care of yourself.

Hey Whoopsie!!!!

How are you!!

I'm doing pretty well after six and a half years... and saw that you had posted.

You know what I think when I see your name: Kevin Costner!

Take care sweetie!

M.

Hey Whoopsie!!!!

How are you!!

I'm doing pretty well after six and a half years... and saw that you had posted.

You know what I think when I see your name: Kevin Costner!

Take care sweetie!

M.

Hi M, how nice to hear from you!!  I thought when I saw your name here "Oh no, M has had a setback from having some drinks!!"  Thank heavens that isn't the case and you're just saying Hi and reminiscing over our Kevin.  I'm glad to hear you're doing well, I hope your life is wonderful and that you have much happiness.

:hug:  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

ThomasC and Somgbird,

I’m in the same sort if situation and I’m going to definitely incorporate alcohol back. I don’t drink often but it’s a staple of being young and going out. I did drink about 3 weeks off my CT. Don’t think it ramped up many symptoms as I was struggling in a wave anyway. I think it’s important to be smart but take out lives back in all facets. The fear can definitely make this psychosomatic iMO. Let’s get on with the healing and back to the world!

Some people never really had benzo withdrawal but recovered from some other neurotoxicity that occured around the time of stopping benzos. Those are probably the ones who are fine with drinking.