Important Survey - Please Participate ×

PLEASE DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WHEN YOU FEEL RECOVERED

[Wh...]

Boognish.

That is certainly your opinion but can you be so certain ?

I just read an article in the paper a few days ago about inhaling alcohol into the lungs which then goes directly into the blood stream.

Carol

I would also like to know why Boognish feels this way- I have always, even prior to Benzo use, had a low threshold for alcohol- but inhaling small amounts of it never had any effect on me until withdrawl started. It seems like a pretty grounded idea that even small amounts of alcohol could have an arrange of effects in the post-Benzo system. Our former selves, we are not.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wh...]

• [Bo...]

• [Sk...]

• [su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time believing that anyone could get enough alcohol in their blood through inhalation to cause a problem, but maybe the alcohol fumes triggered a chemical sensitivity? That seems to be pretty common.

Never say never when it comes to benzo wd.

I don't doubt that you felt bad. I don't believe that it was alcohol in the air that caused the reaction tho. When you read articles about people inhaling alcohol to get high they're not just breathing over a bucket of booze. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. I've personally seen this done and it's not what you do. It has to be put trough a special humidifier in LARGE AMOUNTS. When you do this you're breathing a vapor. The alcohol DOES NOT get any stronger. The delivery method is just different/stronger because it doesn't pass thru any of your body's natural filters.

The idea that you had a chemical reaction base on the smell of alcohol in the room several feet away from you in a glass is a bit overdramatic. An emotional reaction is a different story tho. I do believe you could have smelled alcohol, started focusing on it and the good time everyone else was having and created symptoms for yourself as coping mechanism. I DID THIS at my brother's wedding. I didn't know I was doing it at the time but soon realized I created a lot of my symptoms myself subconsciously.

I want to be clear I'm not saying this to attack or discredit anyone. I know WD is tough!!! I know the hell that you are going thru (to at least some degree... I don't doubt that some you had/have it much, much worse than I did) I'm saying this because if you're anything like me you're able to talk yourself in or out of anything. I hope that's all you're doing right now. If not, and you're being 100% honest with yourself and the rest of us then I apologize and pray for you.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to you!!!  ;D

The idea that you had a chemical reaction base on the smell of alcohol in the room several feet away from you in a glass is a bit overdramatic. An emotional reaction is a different story tho.

I want to be clear I'm not saying this to attack or discredit anyone. I know WD is tough!!! I know the hell that you are going thru (to at least some degree... I don't doubt that some you had/have it much, much worse than I did) I'm saying this because if you're anything like me you're able to talk yourself in or out of anything. I hope that's all you're doing right now. If not, and you're being 100% honest with yourself and the rest of us then I apologize and pray for you.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to you!!!  ;D

-BOOGNISH-

Sorry, but I can only speak for myself when I say I never had a reaction to simply breathing alcohol like this before- a purely physical, non-psychological response that made it very obvious that it was indeed the alcohol-- because the only reactions in the past I have had that were similar occurred after consuming alcohol; the downing effects, lethargy, tiredness, headache and generally more delayed thought process.

I don't follow a tendency to 'talk myself into things'--though that is precisely what I was hoping happened when the train of symptoms hit me after coming off Benzos- that's certainly what the doctor felt it was, a psychosomatic reaction to not having the medication anymore. But further digging of course revealed the culprit- withdrawal. And to me, this is simply another layer of the onion to be peeled off- the nuance of exactly what can effect us, and what to watch out for to not make our lives any more difficult than they already are. As said before-- we can't really control all the situations that occur that could place us at danger for a symptom flare-up, which can last from a day, to weeks. But this post exists to let others know that this is my particular bodies reaction to that situation-- it isindeed possible for a post-benzo system to be far more sensitive to minuscule amounts of any number of chemicals in either smoke from a cigarette, or alcohol itself. And there are others here whose lives seem to improve dramatically from staying away from these very specific triggers.

Like you, I also don't want to come off harsh, but we have seen countless people in the medical community brush off our situations as exactly that 'emotional response' you suggested. "Oh the dose was too small, it couldn't be that. But you hadn't been on them for more than a month." It seems the best situation we are left with is to simply describe our own situations so others can perhaps learn from them.

Had two glasses of wine last night and slept like a lamb.  I'm a few years off valium.  I don't promote it and certainly agree that alcohol is probably best avoided in the first year, maybe longer if one is having a hard time getting back to "normal", but for those who might be wondering whether it is possible to have an occasional drink post taper, it is possible to do so "eventually" and not have to worry about reprecussions.  Of course everyone is a little different and it's best to consider overall health issues as well as whether one is taking other medications, before reintroducing alcohol.

Vertigo

I am very glad that alcohol fumes don't affect me in any way as I live with an alcoholic and surely would be a mess every night breathing in what I do ::

I do know that even one drink would send me into a downward spiral and after 4 years sobriety I will not go down that road again, I am not worried that it would send me into withdrawal, but I know with certainty that one glass of wine would lead to a carton, and that's how I drank, from a box, not classy at all :o

Ladygrace12 :smitten:

The amount of alcohol you'd inhale from ambient conditions is less than the amount of alcohol which is in your body at all times as a result of normal homeostasis. Let's say that you were in a room with 1 liter of (pure) alcohol exposed to the air, and that a full 1% it managed to evaporate. (That liter would be ~50 drinks at normal concentration, and 1% is significantly more than would possibly evaporate). So, that would be 10ml of alcohol in the air, dispersed through the entire room.

Your body is producing alcohol on a constant basis, which leads to an avg of .01-.03mg per 100ml of blood. (source) - the average adult has 4700ml of blood, so that's ~.47 - 1.3mg of alcohol in the body.

You'd have to find a way to somehow inhale more or less all of the air in the entire room, instantly, to inhale more alcohol than you've already got in your body.

Everybody is so different because I remember seeing a few members who were doing the glass of wine here and there as well as one who was drinking scotch and still recovered in 6-8 months.

Everybody is so different because I remember seeing a few members who were doing the glass of wine here and there as well as one who was drinking scotch and still recovered in 6-8 months.

My friend was an opiate addict who also used k-pin 4mg a day for years and walked off the benzos with no real problems. He was actually surprised when he saw how much trouble it gave me.

I made the vast majority of my improvements between 4-10 months off while I was still drinking a lot so I seriously doubt that alcohol affected my recovery. I just can't take any chances at this point. Plus, the last several times when I drank it messed me up for a couple of days. I'd love nothing more than to try one of the awesome new microbrews but I just can't justify it right now  :(

I don't think the couple of beers I've had very occasionally throughout my difficult taper have made any difference symptom wise. What I've noticed is I haven't been able to enjoy alcohol since I started my taper. The warm euphoria I used to associate with alcohol pre taper is gone, to be replaced with a slightly anxious, poisoned feeling. But then I haven't been able to take pleasure in anything at all during wd. Even sex. Its really strange.

so as I have posted many times on here alcohol has not really affected my taper at all, I have been able to enjoy my glasses of wine at dinner once a week or so.....even a party here and there. but as in benzo w.d which I think is the point of this¸......everything changes so you have to keep changing your perception of what you can and can`t do and don`t be firm and strict about it. because it changes all the time......for the past year I have enjoyed alcohol, delicious wines. for the past month I have been incapable of drinking. I have been experiencing lightheadedness and low blood pressure and circulation since my last dry cut. drinking exasperates it....I have tried 4 times now and it was awful those nights fine the next day. I will wait until this wave of symptoms subsists¸ then I will resume drinking a few glasses of wine and if I can't  no big deal ..........challenge your perception of your abilities constantly during this w.d........they change all the time for the best and the worse!

I drank after withdrawal bc I was used to suffering. I also smoked cigarettes. I was so used to feeling bad that I didn't put two and two together that I had to stop. Truth is, I go back into severe withdrawal after drinking even a few sips of a beer. I withdrew from klonopin two years ago  and have not drank since June 8th. I am doing much better and feel my normal brain coming back.

Thanks Whoopsie for writing this thread and I hope you are feeling better!

Talepered off klonopin from a 7 year use from Oct 4 2010April 15 2011

I drank after withdrawal bc I was used to suffering. I also smoked cigarettes. I was so used to feeling bad that I didn't put two and two together that I had to stop. Truth is, I go back into severe withdrawal after drinking even a few sips of a beer. I withdrew from klonopin two years ago  and have not drank since June 8th. I am doing much better and feel my normal brain coming back.

Thanks Whoopsie for writing this thread and I hope you are feeling better!

Talepered off klonopin from a 7 year use from Oct 4 2010April 15 2011

You are welcome and thanks for sharing your experience Phallex and congrats on putting the alcohol down.  I'm really happy to hear that you're feeling better, may it continue.

I just drank half a beer this afternoon after being off Klonopin for a month. It made me feel a bit lightheaded and some blurry vision again. I won't be doing it again for a long time its not worth it!!

I just drank half a beer this afternoon after being off Klonopin for a month. It made me feel a bit lightheaded and some blurry vision again. I won't be doing it again for a long time its not worth it!!

Yes, take your time reintroducing alcohol.  For me, I'm not going to risk it again after this venture back into "sick mode".  Like you said, "Not worth it!!!"

[63...]
I would say that avoiding alcohol in the first 3 months of wd is a great idea as I know I was having a hell of a time just surviving daily life. Now at nearly 6 months off, I have a glass of wine with dinner and on a hot day, a few beers....no nasty side effects at all.  :)

so as I have posted many times on here alcohol has not really affected my taper at all, I have been able to enjoy my glasses of wine at dinner once a week or so.....even a party here and there. but as in benzo w.d which I think is the point of this¸......everything changes so you have to keep changing your perception of what you can and can`t do and don`t be firm and strict about it. because it changes all the time......for the past year I have enjoyed alcohol, delicious wines. for the past month I have been incapable of drinking. I have been experiencing lightheadedness and low blood pressure and circulation since my last dry cut. drinking exasperates it....I have tried 4 times now and it was awful those nights fine the next day. I will wait until this wave of symptoms subsists¸ then I will resume drinking a few glasses of wine......challenge your perception of your abilities constantly during this w.d........they change all the time for the best and the worse!

Everyone is different.  I drank some wine about a month after my taper ended (hey, it was Xmas and New Years!) but I felt it was too soon.  I later read about how alcohol can also stimulate GABA and that by drinking it, it may interfere with the process of down regulation... I waited a few months and resumed with mild consumption (two glasses wine at most) and seemed to be ok.  Then at six months off, I overdid it, maybe 2 glasses several times a week during that first summer, along with other bad dietary choices like sodas, junk food, too many sweets... basically didn't feel good by end of summer and blood pressure was elevated.  I may have already posted about this earlier in this thread. 

Anyway, I decided to go on crash diet, stop the alcohol, caffeine, junk food... doctor wanted me to take beta blockers but I refused.  BP was normal within a few weeks but I low carbed too much and lost too much weight too fast and my cortisol probably shot up, was waking at 5AM when I didn't have to be up for several hours... Eventually things settled down after I stopped lifting weights and resumed eating more complex carbs. 

Eventually I tried stronger alcohol in the 2nd year off, martini, vodka, margueritas on occasion... I did ok but I generally don't feel great for a couple days if I have more than two drinks so I mostly keep it to wine no more than once a week, rare occasions, twice a week. For some, abstaining might be best.  By the way, Alabama, I had occasional glass of wine during taper too and it wasn't a problem.  I noticed more issues once I was off the benzo completely.  Sometimes it might help to take a few months away from alcohol and let your body heal.

Vertigo

The big question would be, how long do you wait to drink again?

I have a whole new appreciation for what these substances can do to the body so even if I ever had the desire to drink more than a few I wouldn't do it, but I absolutely love good beer and I feel like this is just another one of those little things that I enjoy that has been taken from me by these awful drugs.

And that's not to mention the social aspect. It has gotten a little easier with time but it's still awkward being in situations where everyone else is drinking. It isn't just about enjoying the flavor of the drink or catching a buzz....it's about sharing the experience with other people. The wd situation causes a ripple effect. Not only can I not drink, but not  being able to drink also causes me to miss out on social experiences.

I still hang out with my friends at bike night or at someone's house while they are drinking and I am ok with that, but what about a "night on the town" type of thing? I don't have enough social connections at this point that this is a problem, but if I do get an invite to this type of thing in the future I don't know if I would accept. It would just seem kind of pointless to be out in that environment without being able to drink with your friends.

I share these same feelings, especially about the beer. I love trying new micro brews with my friends. I have not had a sip of alcohol for almost 2 years now.

I really want to be able to enjoy a beer again. I am just terrified of even trying at this point for fear of a setback.

I'm not sure I will ever be able to trust my body enough to try alcohol again, sadly. I am 24 right now. Maybe if I make it to my 30th birthday I will have a beer.

I share these same feelings, especially about the beer. I love trying new micro brews with my friends.

I used to be a total beer geek. I did my final speech for speech class in college on the brewing process of beer. I have tried hundreds of different kinds over the years and can elaborate on the complexities of a given brew with the same passion and eloquence of an expert wine connoisseur.

Then soon after I got on the psych drug train I found myself drinking vodka. During the time I was on the benzo I kind of lost my taste for beer, which eventually came back when I started to lose my taste for vodka after stopping clonazepam. Now I can't drink a damn thing cause it makes me feel bad for a couple of days after. plus I just can't take the chance of it interfering with my healing at this point.

I tried a few of the non-alcoholic brews but nothing even comes close. Plus, most places don't even carry NA beer let alone a decent one.

I know it sounds bad to wax poetic about the good ole' days of drinking, but I just can't get over how much this drug has taken from me and how not being able to do certain things (like enjoying a beer with friends) affects my social life, which is pretty damn important in and of itself.

I can't handle beer or soda for that matter, except maybe one once in a blue moon.  More than one and I get acid reflux, bloated, sometimes even end up with a sinus infection :crazy:.

V