Dysautonomia

[Ra...]

I had weird POTS like symptoms after quitting Lorazepam.  I was so bad the first 2 weeks that even if I rolled over in bed my heart rate would increase like 30bpm.  I had to really take it easy first few weeks cause my heart would race upon standing.  Went to the doctor and told him what was happening and he thought it was maybe withdrawal but ran test anyway.  He also said it sounded like POTS but that is such a rare disorder…… how can it be that soooo many people going through Benzo withdrawal have it.  My POTS symptoms are getting way better but do return if my anxiety is way up.  I am seeing a cardiologist for now but I am pretty sure its just withdrawal.  Last few weeks when I stand up too fast my heart goes up but then comes down shortly after standing a few seconds.  My “POTS” symptoms are definitely getting better…if only this anxiety would stop!

andamanhills I am glad to hear you are getting better and hope you continue to improve. POTS is Dysautonomia and dysautonomia is an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system. That's exactly what benzos do. They cause an imbalance/hyper active nervous system. With all the millions of people that suffer from CFS,Fibromyalgia,POTS,Dysautonomia. I just wonder how many of these people were on benzos at one time or another or still on them and just don't make the connection.

racefan,

Since a lot of drs prescribe benzos to their dysautonomia patients (myself included) I can only assume that there are a lot of people who - like you say - don't make the connection, or are in denial and do not want to see the connection.

It's an unfortunate situation, but unless the public awareness about benzos and the real consequences of using them will increase, this will continue to be an issue.

Amy

andamanhills I am glad to hear you are getting better and hope you continue to improve. POTS is Dysautonomia and dysautonomia is an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system. That's exactly what benzos do. They cause an imbalance/hyper active nervous system. With all the millions of people that suffer from CFS,Fibromyalgia,POTS,Dysautonomia. I just wonder how many of these people were on benzos at one time or another or still on them and just don't make the connection.

This is exactly what I have been going through.  I even tried to get my Dr. to diagnose Dysautonomia but he refused to.  Now I AM making the connection, if I thought I felt bad before it has been amplified 10 times since I stopped taking Klonopin.  I am starting to think it does cause ANS failure which is what Dys. is all about.  I wonder if the nervous system can heal itself or if we are doomed to deal with this forever?

JJ

I am trying my best but sitting here at work barely able to cope.  I might see if I can take some sick time, don't know if that will help but not sure how I can go on like this.  I feel like I'm in a giant fog and brain not working.  Eyes hurt, dryed out, palpitations and very heavy feeling all over my body.  This is sooooooo much fun!  :D

Zebeta is a beta blocker, and its pretty safe. All the beta blockers are used by some doctors to ease withdrawal symptoms (and hi BP, hi pulse, POTS, etc.). They are also used to treat certain anxiety stuff, like a fear of public speaking. There is no need to be really afraid of them. They do not have a withdrawal. Most doctors will tell you to check your pulse daily and make sure its lower than when you started taking it. I guess you could consider it sort of a circulatory tranquilizer!

eastcoast

A bit of a caveat!

some people do not tolerate beta blockers that well - I'm one such person, because despite having an elevated heart rate, I also have low blood pressure. Betas I've tried in the past have lowered my blood pressure to unsafe levels, made me dizzy, lightheaded, weak and so on.

I'm still taking a beta now, but in conjunction to another med that is helping boost my blood pressure.

Also, lots of people report having a hard time tapering off beta blockers - nothing compared to benzos though. Any decent dr would recommend their patients to slowly taper off betas, and no one should stop taking those abruptly, as an abrupt cessation of beta blocker therapy can come with really nasty consequences - rebound tachycardia, rebound hypertension, angina (chest pain) and many more.

I tried zebeta 1.5 years ago - initial prescribed dose was 5 mg a day, I couldn't get out of bed at that tiny amount, my dr suggested to take 2.5 mg instead - I had no significant improvement in symptoms and side effects did not lessen, I lowered that to 1.25 mg and still hadn't regained functionality. Then I changed drs, got a new diagnosis and started a new med regimen.

Another aspect - I've recently found an article - see link - stating that it's been long known that betas are notorious for depleting one's body of melatonin, therefore they can cause - in a large number of patients - sleep problems (insomnia, interrupted sleep, disrupted circadian cycle, nightmares, vivid dreams etc).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120928085629.htm

Needles to say there are pros and cons to all meds and unfortunately, at this point, after the experience I had with ativan and klonopjn, I'd be leery if a dr would prescribe me ...water ...sort of speaking.

Blessings,

Amy