Why don't I feel rested after 7 hours of sleep?!

[Ti...]

Hi David and Tina ....

The heaviness/clumsiness of limbs and ongoing fatigue let up after I had

been off 2-3 months...boy....didn't know how bad it was until it

let up. The foggy headedness is much improved ... I feel like I have

a brain again....I have missed it!

Most of my symptoms let up over the 4th month off and beyond ...

things were still kinda tough at the 2-3 months off point. I feel much

better now....just struggling with sleep and on/off mild depression....but

I am doing so much better I am not complaining. Stay strong....you guys

will get there.

Thanks for the update Lovepema :) I want to write more to everyone but too weak and exhausted right now.

Thanks for replying lovepema, glad you are doing much better :)

I'm just over the 2 month mark and have noticed a slight improvement: I can now walk up to 30 mins non stop and at normal walking pace. I still felt extremely tired after but my head didn't feel too bad :) These last 2-3 months I have had to walk very slowly, not so far and often had to pause to stop my brain from getting too dead.

Very glad to have felt this improvement, however small!

I am living the exact same nightmare.  Wake up exhausted, optimistic but still exhausted, and it goes downhill from there.  Keep trying "to just take a walk", "get off gluten!", stop eating sugar, red meat, take Vit. D, on and on.  Lots of useless advice from people who are not on benzos. 

I do have this weird upbeat period starting around 8 pm and then I end up staying up late because it's the only time I feel half way good.

I'm right there with you. 

Mockingirl-I know what you mean. This sx is so tough. Are you off or still tapering?

Tina

mockingbirdgirl,

I was just wondering what medicine they gave you in the ER for serotonin syndrome?  Was it Valium?

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,

fg

• 2 weeks later...

TinaCA and fishingguy,

I am heading to the doc in about an hour with 60 pages of Ashton material in hand to try to get the support for valium substitution taper. She is the doc who told me, "some people just need to be on benzos for the rest of their lives and you are one of them."  I have no life because of the benzos.  I AM going to get off this drug, hopefully started new, supported substitution taper today.

Re my serotonin syndrome, first time was near fatal and ended up in ER because of it.  Was given massive IV doses of ativan.  It took hours of repeated dosing to get me to "normalize".  Felt lucky to have an astute ER doc who diagnosed properly.  Cold turkey off 6 years of Lexapro not easy but way better than serotonin syndrome.

Second serotonin episode was when I was already in ER from back injury.  Am allergic to all opiates but doc gave me demerol anyway, hoping that a strong dose of Zofran would counteract nausea.  Luckily had therapist friend in ER room with me who was texting nurse friend my symptoms as they were occurring as serotonin syndrome came freight training in.  It was hell beyond description.  Took nurses, all of whom were directly across the room from me, 45 minutes to respond, even with friend pleading that something is wrong, she can't breathe, etc.  Finally doc gave me walloping IV dose of benadryl, along with large IV dose of ativan.  Repeated doses of ativan until stabilized.  Was in ER for 7 hours. 

Now, if surgery is needed, I have to have the red warning bracelet say not only opiates but zofran and all SSRIs.

I wonder if when off benzos I will be so inclined toward serotonin syndrome. 

Haven't read anything about that.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

mbird

mockingbirdgirl,

Boy you sure have been through it.  By the way, does Zofran contain (or raise) serotonin?

Sincerely,

fg

Hi, fishingguy.

A neuro doc told me Zofran can create a serotonin response.  I don't think the ER people knew or know now that the Zofran caused the serotonin syndrome- they sure didn't say anything about it.  They were too busy scrambling to get me to breathe properly and stabilize after ignoring me for 45 minutes.

As a general precaution now, I just tell medical professionals I am allergic to all SSRIs and Zofran, hoping they actually know what other drugs might possibly cause serotonin responses like the others.

Hop you're well.

mbird

Thanks, mbird.  By the way, I purchased a medical bracelet and had inscribed on it what I shouldn't take as well as the meds that I am on.  I also carry in my wallet a list of my current meds.

Sincerely,

fg

I want to tell you I sleep 8 full deep restful hours and you know what, I'm not rested at all. I'm on .5 mg xanax and the withdrawls are horrid. The sleep thing is really bothering me. I go to bed early like 9pm and I wake due to work etc at 5am, thats 8 full hours and I'm asleep. Now when I wake up I feel I did'nt sleep at all. I'm tired all day and yawning and just feel like a zombie. I'm in pain, my head hurts and is heavy, I"m freaking exhausted, like never before in my life. I hope this ends and the sleep is recognized in my body as enough. I had to share with you that I understand and feel this to, I thought I was alone. My eyes are even red red, on top of the tired feeling. I hope this gets easier soon, I'm ready to just take the freaking xanax and feel normal, I won't but I'm tired of being sick and tired. Love and hugs to you.  :crazy:

It definitely sounds like withdrawals.  By the way, I have seen others complain of red eyes as well.

Sincerely,

fg

Since my worst withdrawal symptoms started 5 months ago, I would sleep through the night (about 6-7 hrs) Then I wake up at 6am and do a few things for an hour.  After that I get an overwhelming fatigue and lethargic feeling.  I have to sleep for another few hours in the morning because I am so shot out.  I woke up early and slept until 12 noon a few times because it was so bad.  This continued after my last dose 3 weeks ago too.

NakedButterfly and INW-Thank you for your responses about your "non-restful" sleep issues.  Although I don't wish this upon anybody, it is good to hear I am not alone with these symptoms.  I feel I could have written every word that you both wrote myself.  I feel the exact same way.  I am exhausted all day.  To put it into perspective, I had two babies in 3 years (2007 and 2009) and was up all night with them non-stop.  Well, the fatigue that hit me in early March (of this year) when I crossed from Ativan to Valium (disaster--went into severe w/d) doesn't even compare to the tiredness I experienced with the round-the-clock baby care.  What I experience now is much, much more intense than "normal" exhaustion and tiredness.  It is indescribable weakness and fatigue, as you both mentioned.  It feels like I am constantly "just getting over" the flu or something.  Like my entire body is just weak and exausted.

INW--You mentioned the hour of "energy" in the morning before the lethargy hits.  Yes, this happens to me often.  I can sometimes pinpoint it to a certain time--I think 9 am.  I feel like junk when I wake up but can get around and don't feel like a sloth.  Then at around 9 am, it's as if this veil descends over me.  It is a very frightening sort of fatigue--as if my body simply cannot create new energy.

Not sure if anyone experiences this as well--but the thought of walking around a big store or from a parking lot to a store, etc. is overwhelming.  I always park as close as I am to my destination and walk much slower than I used to.  It's as if I only have a certain amount of energy in a given day and if I use it up too quickly, I pay for it.  I have to pace myself and take many breaks all day long.  I am 34!  Just a few month ago I was running after my kids and totally normal.  Didn't think twice about walking around theme parks, jogging with the double-jogger, etc.  Now I see my retired neighbors briskly walking by my window with their dog and think, "Oh my gosh--they have more energy than me!" 

I really, really hope this sx begins to lessen for all of us soon!  I would love to hear from someone who is getting their energy back too, because that would renew my hope that I will feel normal again someday as well.  I hope we can keep in touch with our progress.

Hugs,

Tina

Fatigue is one of my worst remaining symptoms in addition to anxiety, depression and cog Fog. I feel like I am an 80 years old. Walking for few minutes exhausts me terribly.

I am also heart patient and went through angioplasty in December,2010. I am on heart medicines including Amlodipine (anti hypertensive) Atorvastatin (a statin drug for cholesterol) Plavix and Aspirin (blood thinners). I have recently started researching about sides effects of Amlodipine and Atorvastatin and they appear to be the main culprits for my protracted withdrawal like condition. These drugs reportedly cause severe fatigue depression and confusion.

I will consult my cardiologist to get rid of these to find out whether this is the main reason behind my endless withdrawl.

Hi TinaCA. 

Off valium for 30 months and still having some sleep distubance.  I can sleep about 6 hours and wake up fairly alert but feel tired by late afternoon, sometimes still need a nap if I can find the time.  I have no trouble falling asleep in the afternoons for a nap like some people have reported.  I don't think I've slept a solid 8 hours straight in probably five years.  I'm in my fifties now.  I began a significant exercise program at 10 months off valium back in 2010 and lost 25lbs in three months also with low carb diet.  I started waking up at 5AM fully alert but by late morning, started to feel tired again.  I think I lost the weight too fast and my cortisol was revved up, had lots of anxiety that came back in the mornings for a while.  Over the last year, I've gained back much of the weight ::) and have exercised less :tickedoff:.  In fairness, I took the valium before benzos for insomnia issues that were worse than what I have now,  so sleeping six hours is not that bad, but I wish I were more rested too.  I am starting to exercise again and hope to lose 10lbs more slowly this time.  Maybe it will help my sleep too, we'll see.

Vertigo

Neil-you've been off since 2008 and still fatigued? Yikes. I am only 34 and have little kids. I cannot imagine this lasting years. So sorry about your heart problems. I hope when you get your meds adjusted you will find some relief!

Tina

Vertigo--it's crazy how this affects us all so differently.  I have trouble keeping weight on!  Glad you feel well enough to work out.  I am so sick and exhausted that is is impossible to work out.  It would feel like working out when you are sick with the flu--my muscles are all so achy and of course the relentless fatigue.  I look forward to the day when I can work out again!!

Take care,

Tina

Tina,

I have felt the same way as you ever since being on Klonopin.  I am about 45 lbs. underweight.  I haven't lifted weights in about 5 years or more.

fg

Vertigo--it's crazy how this affects us all so differently.  I have trouble keeping weight on!  Glad you feel well enough to work out.  I am so sick and exhausted that is is impossible to work out.  It would feel like working out when you are sick with the flu--my muscles are all so achy and of course the relentless fatigue.  I look forward to the day when I can work out again!!

Take care,

Tina

I hear ya Tina.  Either way, it does not feel good to be tired and unrested.  I considered taking a mild a/d like trazadone to see if I might be able to sleep for 8 hours that way, but I just didn't want to go down that route after working so hard to get off the valium/benzo.  If the fatigue doesn't get better by 3 years out, I might consider something mild but I'm hoping I don't have to do it.

Vertigo

Hi Tina

You say you'd love to hear from someone who's getting their energy back - well I am!

At its worst I couldn't really manage anything - a good day would be a very short 15 minute maximum walk at a very slow pace and plenty of stops. Would get back and would have to lie down for a while and usually sleep most of the afternoon.

In the last few weeks I've improved, can now walk non stop at normal walking pace for 35 minutes (and in weather I find quite hot). After this I've not felt like I had to lie down, I've even managed to do some work on a short astronomy course and some household jobs afterwards. I've still got a long way to go but I definitely couldn't have done this earlier in the year. Still frustrated that I can't do any running and I'm desperate to play football again. I'll probably post a proper update on my blog later this week.

The difference in mindset when you know you're improving is huge. You will notice improvement and eventually get better. I don't think it will improve for you until you are completely off the benzos (I am no expert though - so I could be completely wrong here).

So keep going with your taper and one day you will be fit and healthy again!

Best Wishes

David