Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hi, I'm new! Want off Lorazepam

[b1...]

Hey b1791,

Good idea to quit benzos this early on...they're not meant to be used long term, but many doctors disagree...docs  :pokey:

Jarocho

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [b1...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut 0.125mg on Tuesday morning and so far have not really had any w/d symptoms (just a little electric feelings in my legs...not very much though).  Is it too soon to do another 0.125mg cut this evening or tomorrow night?  I've been on these a total of 3 weeks (including the tapering) and I'm afraid that if I stay on them much longer I will become addicted to them and it will be harder to stop.  The reason I went on these in the first place is because I was taking a beta blocker that was causing me anxiety...but that pill has been out of my system for 2 weeks now and I don't normally have anxiety issues.  Actually, the most anxiety I feel is when I real this bb and I start to get freaked out about w/d symptoms I should be looking for LOL!

Beth

i am a newbie, but what I have learned thus far that if you taper too quickly the withdrawal symptoms could get very bad. 

Some have gone cold turkey and are really suffering....just something to think about

Hi, Beth.

I know what you mean about getting anxious reading some of the posts here.  I felt like that a lot at the beginning of my taper because I was afraid of the unknown.  Once I started having some  odd  sensations and nervous feelings and dealing with them, I started to relax about it.  It really is best to not try and anticipate feeling bad.  Being prepared with information surely helps but not the worry.  

This is just my opinion but I think it's a lttle early to be cutting again.  As I recall, my worst symptom days were usually 4-7 days after a dose reduction.  However, you have only been on them for 3 weeks (vs my nearly 20 years!), so maybe you could get away with it.  There will probably be some more people with different opinions throughout the day so do check back.  

You are going to be okay.  :thumbsup:

I totally understand about the slow withdrawal...my fear is that I've already been on them for 3 weeks and if I prolong the withdrawal for 1 or 2 months my body could become really addicted to them.  Actually, there are many times when I feel better when the Ativan is starting to wear off than I do within the first few hours of taking it.  Weird hey! :)

Beth

I totally understand about the slow withdrawal...my fear is that I've already been on them for 3 weeks and if I prolong the withdrawal for 1 or 2 months my body could become really addicted to them.  Actually, there are many times when I feel better when the Ativan is starting to wear off than I do within the first few hours of taking it.  Weird hey! :)

Beth

Hi Beth,

You just cut on Tuesday, the minimum time I would wait is 4 days. If you are still feeling fine on Friday or Saturday, go ahead and cut again.

T2 :smitten:

Hi Beth,

You just cut on Tuesday, the minimum time I would wait is 4 days. If you are still feeling fine on Friday or Saturday, go ahead and cut again.

I was thinking that if I still felt ok tomorrow then I will cut tomorrow night.  We'll see how tomorrow goes :)

Thanks!!

Beth

I was thinking that if I still felt ok tomorrow then I will cut tomorrow night.  We'll see how tomorrow goes :)

Thanks!!

Beth

Sounds like a plan.  :thumbsup: As I said, you have been on the benzo a relatively short time and may be able to get away with a faster taper.  Everyone is different and everyone has to listen to their own bodies for guidance.  Be sure to let us know how it goes.         

Hey Beth,

Nothing wrong with making plans! Goal are great to have in this process. Taking it one day at a time is the best thing to do. See how you feel on Friday and if you feel ready, then go for the cut. If you don't, that's ok, wait till Saturday, see how you feel, etc. You can't control what withdrawals you will get, but you can control your cuts (when and the amount). You're doing great....

Lori :smitten:

Hi beth,

I wanted to stop by to say hello. That is so wonderful for you that your family is behind you on this. That makes a huge difference. It's hard enough with out feeling like you always have to be on your best behavior.

I'm glad you painted the bedroom. I painted the whole house before I was done tapering. I did not have a hard taper, but I was very anxious for it to get worse, so staying busy and doing something that you could actually see the results on was very encouraging. you are going to great! I'm so happy you have the support here and at home. To know you not are not alone frees up so much stress. I am wishing you the best. :thumbsup: Kel

. You can't control what withdrawals you will get, but you can control your cuts (when and the amount). You're doing great....

This is such wisdom from Lori :)  I am a BIG control freak, so this is very encouraging even for me  :thumbsup:

so staying busy and doing something that you could actually see the results on was very encouraging. you are going to great!

And Kel has it right on...staying busy is always a big boost for me.  I tend to forget about myself and how I'm feeling at the time. 

So control what you can and stay busy....you'll get through this just fine  :)

I'm glad you painted the bedroom. I painted the whole house before I was done tapering. I did not have a hard taper, but I was very anxious for it to get worse, so staying busy and doing something that you could actually see the results on was very encouraging. you are going to great! I'm so happy you have the support here and at home. To know you not are not alone frees up so much stress. I am wishing you the best. :thumbsup: Kel

That is exactly what I'm going through!  I haven't really experienced any withdrawal symptoms yet (knock on wood) but it's always in the back of my mind that one day I will and that's what's causing me the greatest amount of anxiety!  I think I may have to back off this board for a little bit and focus more on other things so I may be able to refocus my mind on something other than the withdrawal.

One last question...a few days ago I cut 0.125mg off my morning dose...is it best to cut from my pm dose next and keep alternating am and pm cuts?

Beth

That is exactly what I'm going through!  I haven't really experienced any withdrawal symptoms yet (knock on wood) but it's always in the back of my mind that one day I will and that's what's causing me the greatest amount of anxiety!  I think I may have to back off this board for a little bit and focus more on other things so I may be able to refocus my mind on something other than the withdrawal.

One last question...a few days ago I cut 0.125mg off my morning dose...is it best to cut from my pm dose next and keep alternating am and pm cuts?

Beth

Hi Beth,

It is really a personal preference. I myself alternated my cuts. If you are not having any significant sleeping problems, it would probably be better to alternate your cuts.

Actually, last night I slept for 7 hours and only briefly woke once!!!  It was the best sleep I've had in quite awhile :)

Beth

Nothing like a good night's sleep!  ;D

Oh when I read how many hours you slept I just let out a contented "sigh" for you.  I can't remember the last time I slept for 7 hours.  Do you normally have worse nights?  What do you attribute this great night too?

I have no idea why I slept so good last night.  I made sure to eat right before bed (as I have trouble with my blood sugar levels).  I tried really hard not to get all worked up about not being able to sleep and I think that may have helped.  For the last month I've been sleeping sitting upright as I have fluid in my ears but last night I decided to just prop my pillow a bit and just see what happened.  Really, I have nooo idea why I slept as well as I did...the last month or so, if I got 4 - 5 hours of interuppted sleep a night I was happy.  I'll just take the good as it comes and not question it LOL

Beth

Hey Beth,

Try not to get anxious about withdrawal symptoms. Everyone's taper is so different; some breeze right thru it. You haven't been on the benzo long. Just know that when and if you do get some symptoms, ride them out calmly, because they will pass. So glad you got 7 hours of sleep last night!!  :yippee: As far as cutting off your am or pm dose, it is up to you (something else you are in control of!!). You can see what I did by looking at my signature box below. You are doing great..... :thumbsup:

The reason I asked why you thought you slept so well was because I have alot of trouble sleeping and I am willing to try anything to get a good night's sleep. 

I have calmed down alot about my lack of sleep and have decided to accept what comes....not much more I can do about it than just accept it anyway.  I used to cry and cry when I would wake up, but that certainly did NOT help me get back to sleep.  Now, I just roll over, start to pray and eventually fall back to sleep.  Never apreciated sleep so much as I do now....Infact, there are ALOT of things I appreciate alot more.  Like today for instance, I have not stopped....cleaning and moving things around and I am very thankful to be able to do all I've done today. 

Certainly puts life into perspective when simple things are taken away due to poor health.

Lori, I'm so glad you said that some breeze right through it because I was thinking that everybody had a hard time with withdrawal.  I guess you don't see many on this forum because I'm assuming that if someone was finding it "easy" to withdraw from benzos they would not be seeking out support from a benzo withdrawal group :)

Cal, I hope you had a better sleep last night!  When I go through the nights where I only get a couple hours I sometimes want to cry, but then I think back to when my twins were born and I had to nurse them every 1.5 - 2 hours for 3 months and I made it through that, so I will make it through this!! 

And yes, I have learned to appreciate sooo many things that I never did before :)

Beth

Lori, I'm so glad you said that some breeze right through it because I was thinking that everybody had a hard time with withdrawal.  I guess you don't see many on this forum because I'm assuming that if someone was finding it "easy" to withdraw from benzos they would not be seeking out support from a benzo withdrawal group :)

Exactly!! :thumbsup:

But, even if you breeze right thru this, we'd love to read updates on how you are doing....

You NAILED it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/beeper0002/BBuddies/thumb_hammer.gif