Use EXTREME caution if using an antacid.

[so...]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [fi...]

• [ed...]

• [ve...]

I would like to state again that anyone using an antacid on a regular basis should be very cautious.  Antacids basically TURN YOU STOMACH OFF!  You are not able to digest food properly, the acid in your stomach also fights off disease and is critical in nutrition. 

Read the back of a package of Prilosec or something similar.  I'm fairly certain it states to only use for a few weeks and I think the doseage is 10mg's.  The occassional Tums after a meal is OK but Im living proof at how much damage prolonged use of antacids will cause.

I was prescibed 80mgs a day and for the first year all seemed well but after that point I became malnurished because my stomach was unable to digest food properly.  I would be constipated for up to 2 weeks, I looked like walking death because my body was not getting the nutrients it needed.  I developed all types of food allergies...it was miserable.

I understand that these meds can and do help people.  Im not a doctor..just someone with experinece in how much damage these meds can do and would like everyone to please exercise extreme caution.  Im not saying to go against any doctor orders but I am saying to listen to your body because you are the only expert on that particular subject. 

You cannot cold turkey antacids either and need to taper them just like benzos.  If you are considering stopping I might sugggest a slow taper.  I was not that smart and quit taking 80mgs of Protonix cold turkey Jan 1, 2010 and just like benzos...I paid the price but it only lasted a few months and now my body is much better for it. 

Do you own research and find out for yourself but Im here to tell you....these meds are just as dangerous as any other if taken in large amounts for a long time.

Sooner dean,

I don't think anyone on this thread is arguing that folks should take these meds unless absolutely necessary. That's actually true of all meds. And read the literature that comes with them.

Everyone is different. And these meds are not all the same. The PPIs are the most powerful, then the H2 agonists, and then the antacids like tums.

And there are rules about when they should be taken. One of them is that most are better taken during the day. And yet the H2 agonists are as effective before bed.

I have had severe breathing issues caused by acid reflux. This was a life saving issue for me also to consider. and I would not take the newer Nexium or the OTC Prilosec because both contain magnesium which depletes your body of nutrients that you need.

If anyone is concerned, there's a myriad of blood work that can be done on one blood draw to see of you are lacking in practically all nutrients. No need to get to starvation point to try to figure this out.

Intend

I tried tapering off prilosec last year to no avail.  However, I have managed to get it down to every other day :thumbsup:.  Maybe I can taper off it eventually.  The every other day tip came from a buddy here, so that was unexpected helpful input that has worked out thus far.

V

Well folks,

Just don't go diagnosing yourself. There are serious ramifications with acid reflux. I had pre-Barretts esophagus, which means pre-cancerous esophagus, severe voice disorder caused by my vocal chords slamming shut to prevent the acid from getting down into both my airway and my esophagus, and it got down anyway.

Then the topper was sub-glottic stenosis which closed my airway off to 5% of normal. Google this. It's rather serious if you can't breathe and the attempts to repair it wentbon for 8 years. So let's just keep an open mind on a few things here.

Not every medication is a big "no no" while every supplement in a health food store will save us. I believe in using common sense.

Intend

Well folks,

Just don't go diagnosing yourself. There are serious ramifications with acid reflux. I had pre-Barretts esophagus, which means pre-cancerous esophagus, severe voice disorder caused by my vocal chords slamming shut to prevent the acid from getting down into both my airway and my esophagus, and it got down anyway.

Then the topper was sub-glottic stenosis which closed my airway off to 5% of normal. Google this. It's rather serious if you can't breathe and the attempts to repair it wentbon for 8 years. So let's just keep an open mind on a few things here.

Not every medication is a big "no no" while every supplement in a health food store will save us. I believe in using common sense.

Intend

Hi Intend.  I was just wondering if they ever determined what was causing your acid reflux?  Was it a weakened LES, a hiatal hernia or something else? 

Mine initially was caused (or at least worsened) by a supplement given to me by a Chiropractor called Betaine HCL.  It basically is Hydrochloric Acid.  Although it did help me to digest meat, the acid reflux-induced asthma eventually sent me to the emergency room and I was put on PPI's and had to discontinue the HCL.  Also, Apple Cider Vinegar (since it contains Acetic Acid) made the acid reflux worse.  The only natural thing that helped "slightly" was Digestive Enzymes, but they still didn't get rid of the reflux.

You are correct, acid reflux is serious and we should see a doctor before diagnosing ourselves.  I didn't even know I was experiencing it until my allergy doctor (of all people) immediately diagnosed it.  I learned a lesson, but sure learned it the hard way.

Sincerely,

fg

Hi fg.

The doctors didn't really speculate what had caused my acid reflux, but it was so obvious because not only was my esophagus reddened as determined by endoscopy, but even the back of my throat was reddened which the ENT could easily see by just looking at it.

I actually think it was hormonal changes due to menopause. I can remember several instances of severe reflux no matter what I ate. I remember one time my husband and I were on vacation at Salishan Lodge in Oregon and the reflux was just unreal. My mom also complained of it, so I think there's some genetic component to this also. I think a large segment of the population is predisposed to reflux; I mean the number of products out there for it is mind boggling.

And that Hydrochorlic acid supplement the chiropractor gave you is kind of what I mean about trying supplements. Some of them are definitely not the answer for any sx we have for any condition we have. My oldest daughters in-laws are really into supplements, and I remember them both taking something like that for prevention of acid reflux as it was supposed to aid digestion and help the stomach NOT to produce so much acid and thus prevent reflux. I don't know what happened in that case.

I completely avoid citrus products myself and juice in general. Fortunately, I'm not a huge fan of fruit or juice anyway so I don't at all feel deprived. And actually, I didn't have any hernia or weakened LES at all. That's why I say it's probably hormone/genetically related.

I feel fortunate in that I got very good treatment for what was essentially a life threatening disorder. All the research on what I've gone through (sub glottic stenosis, vocal chord disorder, swallowing disorder) has been done at National Jewish Hospital in Denver and the University of Cinncinati. I'm not quick, therefore to try any supplement (even vitamins) for anything, or to dismiss PPIs ever.

Intend

Hi fg.

The doctors didn't really speculate what had caused my acid reflux, but it was so obvious because not only was my esophagus reddened as determined by endoscopy, but even the back of my throat was reddened which the ENT could easily see by just looking at it.

I actually think it was hormonal changes due to menopause. I can remember several instances of severe reflux no matter what I ate. I remember one time my husband and I were on vacation at Salishan Lodge in Oregon and the reflux was just unreal. My mom also complained of it, so I think there's some genetic component to this also. I think a large segment of the population is predisposed to reflux; I mean the number of products out there for it is mind boggling.

And that Hydrochorlic acid supplement the chiropractor gave you is kind of what I mean about trying supplements. Some of them are definitely not the answer for any sx we have for any condition we have. My oldest daughters in-laws are really into supplements, and I remember them both taking something like that for prevention of acid reflux as it was supposed to aid digestion and help the stomach NOT to produce so much acid and thus prevent reflux. I don't know what happened in that case.

I completely avoid citrus products myself and juice in general. Fortunately, I'm not a huge fan of fruit or juice anyway so I don't at all feel deprived. And actually, I didn't have any hernia or weakened LES at all. That's why I say it's probably hormone/genetically related.

I feel fortunate in that I got very good treatment for what was essentially a life threatening disorder. All the research on what I've gone through (sub glottic stenosis, vocal chord disorder, swallowing disorder) has been done at National Jewish Hospital in Denver and the University of Cinncinati. I'm not quick, therefore to try any supplement (even vitamins) for anything, or to dismiss PPIs ever.

Intend

Sounds like you've really been through the ringer.  The reflux I had several years ago sent me to the ER and it felt like a flame thrower going through my lungs.  I don't ever plan on experiencing that pain again.  I couldn't even drink water without it burning my lungs. 

I'm with you.  I have had too many bad experiences with supplements, so now I am extra careful when trying something new or "natural".  Natural does not always mean safe, as I found out.

At any rate, I wish you continued healing.

Sincerely,

fg

I was unable to take Zantac, but I'm sure it works for others.  Aciphex and Zegerid have worked best for me with very little side effects.

Sincerely,

fg

Apparently there  was some legal issue with pepcid complete. It had to do with pulling the product off the shelves because of a FDA investigation into a manufacturing plant in Lancaster, Pennsylvania that failed to adequately answer consumer complaints.

The complaints were about drug batch mixups and failure to investigate drug batches made during equipment malfunctions. In response to this several Johnson and Johnson/Merck products were pulled with very little explanation to consumers.

Famotidind is generic pepcid complete so I'd never pay for the brand name anyway.

Intend