Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Thank you, Hoosierfans and cedar!!! I started to take it 4 x day though I'm still trying to figure out the exact amount I should take.

Because when I was taking .25mg x 3 , I was dry cutting 1mg into 4. So I don't think I ever got the exact amount each time.

So I've been taking 17 - 18 ml each and see how I'm going to feel. Today I felt panicky a little and also nausea, I guess I'm nervous.

Thank you again for guiding me, I can't do this without you guys :smitten:

Don't worry you're not the only one.  On second Ativan(lorazepam) withdrawal first one in 2010 felt absolutely fine  :) took a year but got down to 2mg diazepam a day and then relapsed :'(  This time doing it more quickly started at 18mg diazepam in Feb and now with new GP dropping 1mg every 2 weeks (as per Professor Ashton's manual) so now on 12 mg per day and feeling very tired, aching, etc and general fitness hard to get back but determined to do it this time. :thumbsup:

I was on Ativan for 15 years most of those on 2.5mg per day and felt and looked absolutely fine but we must get off this highly addictive drug just hang in there you will do it.  Will get back online again when have more time and am happy to give you any support I can.

Hi, This is my first post on this thread. I need advise on ativan taper and dosing schedule.

i am currently on 1.25 ativan daily divided into 3 doses a day. I started on 1.50 about 3-4 months ago and i am having trouble with this taper as i have developed a dependence. I am trying to cut a quarter of 0.5 by cutting a 0.25 in half about every 2-3 weeks...

i am now taking 0.25 in the am around 6 or 7am depending when i wake up, 0.5 around 11:30 or 12:30 and another .5 around 5 or 6pm. The morning is rough as i have not taken any ativan between 6pm and 6am and i have cut my morning dose to 0.25. I need to be alert in the evening as i often work till 8pm with people.

is there a better way for me to divide these doses? i use trazadone at night for sleep which helps most of the time.

i would also like  a recommendation for a good compounding pharmacy who can help me plan the taper and is experienced with this if anyone has found one as cutting these pills in half and quarters is never accurate which also complicates the taper process.

i really need help as this is much more difficult then i thought and i need to work and function while i am doing this taper. All recomendations would be most appreciated.

I just saw this thread and decided I'd share my Ativan taper experience.  I had been on and off benzo's over 13 years and came to tolerance withdrawal.  My doctor for whatever reason thought I should use Ativan to taper. If I'd known how hard this was going be I'd have opted for a longer acting benzo like Valium.  But if others are in the same boat and decide to taper Ativan, here are some suggestions. 

1. If you can take doses 4 times a day (rather than 2 or 3) it's better, as to avoid interdose withdrawals.

2. I suggest taking your largest dose at bedtime for sleep.

3. A Compounding Pharmacy can be your best friend.  Every city has a compounding pharmacy, so just ask your doctor about where the nearest one is, or google your city name and compounding pharmacy.

4. Spread your doses out evenly.  For instance 7 a.m.  12 p.m.  5 p.m. and 10 p.m.  (OR)  7 a.m. 1 p.m.  6 p.m. and 11 p.m.  This is important so as to avoid interdose withdrawals.

Note: if you choose to taper Ativan you'll have to watch the clock closely everyday to make sure you take your dose on time.

5. Get a calendar and map out your taper plan.  This was so helpful to me to know how much to take at what time of day. Otherwise it's too easy to forget what it was that you are doing.  There's enough pain and confusion with withdrawal anyhow.

Here's what a "possible" Ativan taper can look like.  You may choose to slow it down or speed it up depending on what your symptoms are.  Many people find that the lower you get on the doses the harder it is, so make it slower as you get to those low doses.  Try to make the cuts every 10-14 days for the best results:

Possible Ativan taper:

.50          .50        .50        .50                  Total:  2 mgs

.25          .50        .50        .50                  Total:  1.75

.25          .25          .50        .50                  Total:  1.50

.25          .25          .25        .50                  Total:  1.25

.25          .125        .25        .50                  Total:  1.125

.25          .125        .125      .50                  Total:  1

.25          .125        .125      .375                Total:  .875

.25          .125        .125      .25                  Total:  .75

.125        .125        .125      .25                  Total:  .625

.125        .125        .125      .125                Total:  .50

.125        .0625      .125      .125                Total:  .4375

.125        .0625      .0625    .125                Total:  .375

.0625      .0625      .0625    .125                Total:    .3125

.0625      .0625      .0625    .0625              Total:    .25

.0625      .0312      .0625    .0625              Total:    .2187

.0625      .0312      .0312    .0625              Total:    .1874

.0312      .0312      .0312    .0625              Total:    .1561

.0312      .0312      .0312    .0312              Total:    .1248

.0312      .0312    .0312            Total:    .0936

.0312    .0312            Total:    .0625

.0312            Total:    .0312

Off!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Don't lose hope you can recover from this.  I have!

Cedar

Concerned,  welcome to our support thread.  Hope we can help you out.  I'm reposting Cedar's Ativan taper schedule (which I think is a good one). 

I absolutely recommend 4 doses per day, as opposed to 3 if you can swing it.  But, you know your body the best to listen to it.  I'm also doing this from the comfort of taking several months of work to accomplish it, so I appreciate your need to be functioning at quite a high level.  Earlier in this thread you can find my proposed tapering schedule (I'm shooting for 20 - 25% a week), but keep in mind I've only been on Ativan for about 7 weeks total now (including tapering weeks).  Cedar's schedule is more in line with the Ashton method (for longer term users).

Here is Cedar's schedule and notes:

I just saw this thread and decided I'd share my Ativan taper experience.  I had been on and off benzo's over 13 years and came to tolerance withdrawal.  My doctor for whatever reason thought I should use Ativan to taper. If I'd known how hard this was going be I'd have opted for a longer acting benzo like Valium.  But if others are in the same boat and decide to taper Ativan, here are some suggestions. 

1. If you can take doses 4 times a day (rather than 2 or 3) it's better, as to avoid interdose withdrawals.

2. I suggest taking your largest dose at bedtime for sleep.

3. A Compounding Pharmacy can be your best friend.  Every city has a compounding pharmacy, so just ask your doctor about where the nearest one is, or google your city name and compounding pharmacy.

4. Spread your doses out evenly.  For instance 7 a.m.  12 p.m.  5 p.m. and 10 p.m.  (OR)  7 a.m. 1 p.m.  6 p.m. and 11 p.m.  This is important so as to avoid interdose withdrawals.

Note: if you choose to taper Ativan you'll have to watch the clock closely everyday to make sure you take your dose on time.

5. Get a calendar and map out your taper plan.  This was so helpful to me to know how much to take at what time of day. Otherwise it's too easy to forget what it was that you are doing.  There's enough pain and confusion with withdrawal anyhow.

Here's what a "possible" Ativan taper can look like.  You may choose to slow it down or speed it up depending on what your symptoms are.  Many people find that the lower you get on the doses the harder it is, so make it slower as you get to those low doses.  Try to make the cuts every 10-14 days for the best results:

Possible Ativan taper:

.50          .50        .50        .50                  Total:  2 mgs

.25          .50        .50        .50                  Total:  1.75

.25          .25          .50        .50                  Total:  1.50

.25          .25          .25        .50                  Total:  1.25

.25          .125        .25        .50                  Total:  1.125

.25          .125        .125      .50                  Total:  1

.25          .125        .125      .375                Total:  .875

.25          .125        .125      .25                  Total:  .75

.125        .125        .125      .25                  Total:  .625

.125        .125        .125      .125                Total:  .50

.125        .0625      .125      .125                Total:  .4375

.125        .0625      .0625    .125                Total:  .375

.0625      .0625      .0625    .125                Total:    .3125

.0625      .0625      .0625    .0625              Total:    .25

.0625      .0312      .0625    .0625              Total:    .2187

.0625      .0312      .0312    .0625              Total:    .1874

.0312      .0312      .0312    .0625              Total:    .1561

.0312      .0312      .0312    .0312              Total:    .1248

.0312      .0312    .0312            Total:    .0936

.0312    .0312            Total:    .0625

.0312            Total:    .0312

Off!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Don't lose hope you can recover from this.  I have!

Cedar and I are in a contest to see who can post helpful stuff the fastest.    I'd say that's a great "problem" to have on this thread.  :smitten:

Cheers to all us Ativaners.  Try and enjoy your weekend no matter what you are going through.  Remember, we don't really have any control over how are bodies are going to recover from this (including how fast or how smoothly), but what we CAN control is our thoughts about the process (this is temporary, I WILL get through it, I WILL get my health back), and that the good Lord will guide us through.

~When the train goes through a dark tunnel, you don't bail out.  You sit tight and entrust the engineer to get you through. ~

Don't worry you're not the only one.  On second Ativan(lorazepam) withdrawal first one in 2010 felt absolutely fine  :) took a year but got down to 2mg diazepam a day and then relapsed :'(  This time doing it more quickly started at 18mg diazepam in Feb and now with new GP dropping 1mg every 2 weeks (as per Professor Ashton's manual) so now on 12 mg per day and feeling very tired, aching, etc and general fitness hard to get back but determined to do it this time. :thumbsup:

I was on Ativan for 15 years most of those on 2.5mg per day and felt and looked absolutely fine but we must get off this highly addictive drug just hang in there you will do it.  Will get back online again when have more time and am happy to give you any support I can.

Thank you, priorydeb!!! I'm in the biggining of tapering so assurance from other Ativaners really keep me going!!!

Well I cut down from 7.5 to 7.  Its been two days.  Feels better than the last time I cut down because I am more stable.

After my crossover I was reeling from that and then tried to cut down which was not a good plan.  I went back to 8 and finally stabelized.

I feel ok with the cut, some trembling in my fingers.  Its only been two days so I don't know if I'll have any other side effects.

Sending out virtual (((((((((hugs)))))))) to all of us Ativaners this week, and especially those of us who are taking a cut or jumping this week.  I took my cut down to .45 yesterday and so far, just the same old jitters, fatigue and blech feeling.  Hopefully it will be like the other cuts and this will be just a day or two and I'll be "moving on up."  ;D

More than 1/2 way done with this poison, and only 5 more weeks (hopefully) for me to go in my taper.  8)

Hey everybody!!! I finally started feeling stable with .18mg x 4 (.72mg )  Now, I have to come up with the taper plan. I made an appointment with PsyDr but I have to wait for 3weeks.... I'm planning to ask him for liquid ativan.

Marin -  I hope you're feeling better today!  :thumbsup:

Hoosierfans - You're doing great!!! You're giving me hope!!!  :smitten:

Chance - Five more weeks!!!!  :yippee:

Thank you for inspiring me everyday!!!!

Hey all. Just shaking the tree to see how my Ativan homies are doing.

My personal update: 3 weeks and two days of holding at .36mg

.I'm basically stable. Not symptom free but I can function fine. Only sleeping about 5 hours. I have a mild headache toward the middle/end of each day that is usually accompanied by some mild or a little more than mild depression.

I really can't decide if or when to cut. I really don't want to end up in a hole again.

might try just a 3 % cut and see how I react.

I had such determination and will power when this started and now I'm a quivering piece of jello.

So much of this is the fear.

I also had a question for anyone doing Ativan that is compounded into a suspension by a pharmacist.

Do you know what your concentration is? Mine seems high. I'm taking .225ml 4 times a day in a 1 ml oral syringe. It seems a high concentration would make for less exact measuring. Like, just the amount on the outside tip of the syringe might have significant benzo in it. Any thoughts?

Thanks Tina. I'm sorry if you are having a hard time. Although I feel stable I am far from comfortable.

And I just can't seem to muster the courage to cut. Those walls are traumatic. So much of a mental beat down.

I was hoping I would get my bravery back but no.

I have a really busy next couple of months with some major obligations to meet and I'm scared that I'll just have to call people and say, "can't do it. I'm in benzo withdrawal. Yeah that stuff still. Uh huh yeah the stuff I've been trying to get off of for 9 months. Yeah sorry. "

Have to try though I guess. No other option. The world doesn't stop just because this is happening.

Today seems better. Getting quite a bit done. Anything helps to take my mind off of this.

I hope you all are having a great day.

BDL

Hi BDL.  Good to see you're still fighting the good fight.  Really hoping the best for you.  I know it's hard to keep cutting when you feel bad.  It's normal to feel beat down by this and to want to hold forever.  I'm encouraging you to keep going.  You can do this.  Your posts are so positive and encouraging to everyone I'm hoping to encourage you too.  You will feel good again and recover from this mess.  One day at a time, okay?

Hugs to you,

Cedar

Ok, so I just came back from Dr. and I told him I want to taper my ativan off slowly. He told me that he is not going to prescribe meds because I'm just abusing it and I should taper it off within 2weeks, just take 0.5mg tablet every 5 days, there is no way to avoid withdrawals, take anti-depressant so I wouldn't feel withdrawals.

I was so stunned that I couldn't find any words.... I feel lost.... I'm trying to find a psych doc. Is it hard to find a Dr that would support your taper plan?

person on .36mg ativan with issues:  this is short acting benzo.  I and others take it four times a day.  If your doctor consents, get it oral form. Personally I take it every 6 hrs with lightest symptoms - no headaches, just eye twitters, neck pains and some jitters (that deep breathing removes)

BDL -- I feel you.  ((Hugs)).  Just try and keep going.  I truly believe that the real healing begins when we get off of this stuff, and until then we are just delaying it (and actually keeping our brains on this longer).  That being said, you have to BELIEVE in what you are doing, or else it won't work -- it's the courage and will power that gets you through the tough days....so if you know you don't have that foundation yet, the cuts will be that much tougher.    Keep going if you can, and if you can't, there is no shame or guilt in having to say no to folks or cut back on obligations.  I couldn't imagine how incapacitating this whole thing can be, so someone who hasn't gone through it won't either....but that's not our faults in any way shape or form.  Kick the guilt and shame to the curb!!!!!

My quote for you for the day: "If you worry about something and it never happens, you've wasted your time.  If it does happen, you've had to live it twice." 

by the way, my concentration now is .5 mg / ml.

Thanks RareGem but I'm already doing all of that. Have been for about 6 months. I just made a cut that was too big and it wrecked my spirit for a while. I appreciate your advice. Read back through this thread and you will see that everyone here is basically an expert on tapering Ativan at this point.

But sometimes even that doesn't help much.

Hoosier. Thank you so much. Words of encouragement meant specifically for me mean a lot and have a good effect. I was mowing the lawn today and a storm came rolling in and I realized that I AM getting the courage back. I worked out a tapering plan in my head that I'm going to throw out to my doc and see if he's cool with it. He's been a little pushy lately about me pushing forward, but I just stand my ground.

My plan is basically this: i am using 1ml oral syringes that each have .225mg in them. I take 4 a day.

This expressed as a fraction is 44/100 of a ml a day.

So I figure I can make 44 cuts to get to the end. 1/100th of a ml every other day or 3 days until I'm low enough to jump.

Or expressed another way, roughly 5% a week until I can jump.

How does this sound? Works out to be between 3 and 4 more months.

BDL -- did you mean .225 mL (as opposed to mG)?  Thought you were around .36 mg right about now.

44 cuts sounds like a plan, and when that 3-4 months is up, we'll be there with you to celebrate your birthday!!!  :yippee: