Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

introductio

[la...]

:)Hi, everyone I have been on xanax for 7yrs,up to 3-4 mg a day. Tried to stop CT only lastes maybe 3 days. I am now taking .5 three times a day. I need suggestions with tapering. Thanks

Hello laughalot, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Wow, I know exactly how you felt when you stopped cold turkey, I did that too, ouch!  I'm glad you went back on and decided to taper, hopefully, we can help you rid yourself of the drug, slowly and safely.  Have you spoken with your Dr about your desire to get off of the Xanax, it helps to have them on board.

We typically suggest cutting your total dose by about 10% every week or two, but this is just a general guideline, each of us approach this differently.  How are you feeling only taking 1.5 mgs a day?  If you're feeling too bad, it might be helpful to go up a little in dose in order to stabilize.

Pam

I believe my Dr. is going to help me with this situation. I have an APTT: with her nexted month. I started taking the xanax for stress and panic attacks. I have been on and off several anti deppresants and Benzo's. My Doc recently put me on Zoloft which was keeping me up at night so I took more xanax to fall a sleep. I ran out of xanax and the pharmacy would not refill my next script. I decided to try to wait the 10 days with out calling my Doc and telling her what had happened needles to say after 3 days I was dialing her number. She called me in another perscription the bottle read  1 mg tab take 2 to 3 tab a day as needed. So realy she has not started to taper me yet but say's she is going to. I want to start now on my own. The sooner the better right?

Welcome to the forum laughalot,

I know you are eager to get off this med, but keep in mind that a slow taper is the best way to go.  This gives the brain time to make adjustments along the way so you do not shock your system.  You definitely want to read the Ashton Manual, which has invaluable advice on benzo withdrawal...like how to crossover to a benzo like Valium which has a longer half-life (as Xanax has an extremely short half-life which can lead to interdose withdrawals as you taper), tapering schedules, etc...  Here is the link to the manual:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

You can also print out the schedules and you and your doctor can use them as a guide to plan out your taper.

Goodluck on your journey to become benzo free!

Hello laughalot (what a lovely positive name!  That alone will help you get through your taper)

I just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful board with really caring members and moderators and let you know you will get all the support you need here.

Best wishes

Angel

Hi laughalot,

A very warm welcome to you!  I have found a tremendous amount of information and support from the good folks at BenzoBuddies.  I hope you do too!

I started my journey by reading everything I could about benzo withdrawal.  May I suggest that you start by reading the "Benzo Facts" at the top of this page?  It really helped me to begin my journey to become benzo free.  

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

:) Hugs, Klonkers

Hi laughalot,

Wecome!!!  I love your online name.  Laughter is the best medicine, way way better than benzos.

I hope you can get on a longer acting benzo for your taper.  It will be much easier on your system.

Good luck and let us know how we can help.

pianogirl  :smitten: