Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

For those with multiple-tapers / multiple withdrawals - questions

[ca...]

Dear All

For those of you who have tried to taper / withdraw multiple times, can you share your experiences regarding the occurrence / reoccurrence of withdrawal symptoms/side effects?  Do new symptoms occur the second/third/fourth time around?  Do the initial symptoms reoccur at the same / less / more intensity?  Is it wise to start another taper this time by not reducing the daily dose of .50 PM for sleep, but by splitting the dose into two .25s a day for several weeks, then gradually removing the PM sleep .25 and adding to the earlier .25?  My PDoc thinks one can taper over 3 or 4 weeks.  Thanks to all for any input / advice.

Hi Cairene,

I had great difficulty tapering at my pdoc's "recommended" rate.  He suggested a tapering schedule that was impossible for me to follow because I would get extreme w/d symptoms.

I read everything I could get my hands on concerning benzo withdrawal by starting on the tab at the top of the screen called "Benzo Facts".  

I made a decision to find a "benzo wise" doctor by going to www.benzodoc.com and looking in my area.  

Initially I was able to taper at rates of 10%-25% every 2 to 3 weeks, however,  the lower I get in dose, the slower I need to taper in order to avoid suffering from terrible w/d's.  I am now titrating (see titration section) at 1% a day, holding when necessary.  It does not matter how long it takes me as long as I am making forward progress and most importantly NOT SUFFERING (nearly as much).

Some people prefer to cross over to a benzo with a longer half-life such as Valium and then taper.  There are several options available to you.

I hope this helps.  :) Hugs, Laurie

Thanks Laurie.  I am slowly making my way through the forum threads and other resources.  i just for now count my blessings that I'm not (yet) in the state of many of the other posters.

Still pondering on how best to proceed with next taper attempt.

Regards

Cairene

Thanks Laurie.  I am slowly making my way through the forum threads and other resources.  i just for now count my blessings that I'm not (yet) in the state of many of the other posters.

Still pondering on how best to proceed with next taper attempt.

Regards

Cairene

Hi Cairene,

How are you feeling today?

I know how overwhelming starting out on this journey can be.  Take your time in reviewing all the threads that interest you.  When you have questions, I am sure that someone will answer you promptly. 

Looking forward to joining you on this journey.

Hugs, KL