Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

When to start taper after crossover to Valium

[Sn...]

I have crossed over from Xanax to Valium via the 10 day plan which Reg Peart outlined. Do you have to wait a whole month or is it ok to start a slow reduction now. I am sleeping well and a bit sedated during the day. I am taking 10mg Valium once per day at bedtime. Im having NO INTER DOSE withdrawal. Is it ok to go ahead to 9mg now or must I first wait the whole 4 weeks for the Valium to fully build up? If anyone has experience and understanding with this please respond.

Thanks

Hi Snookie,

I followed Dr. Ashton's c/o schedule and held for 4 weeks to allow the valium enough time to build up in my system. I wanted to do everything possible to ensure that I had a successful taper. I know others haven't held that long and did just fine. I guess you just have to go with how you are feeling.

Congratulations on a successful crossover.

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for your response! The Valium is so different than the Xanax. I only have to take it once per day at bedtime and it keeps me level all day. I've been on it for about 10 days now. I'm at 10mg now but I feel it may be more than I need. Im sleepy and depressed a good bit if the time. My plan is to start my taper on Dec 3rd which will be just about a month on Valium. I can see why Valium is the way to go when it comes to tapering. It has caused some depression but I'm just depressed being stuck in this situation anyway. I keep telling myself at least there is a way out of this where others have issues that are permanent. Anyway, I'll also let it build up in my system and start my taper Dec 3rd as planned. I'm taking no other medications, suppliments, vitamins, or herbs at all.

One other question. What difference if any did you notice from week one to week four?

Thanks!

Hi Snookie,

It's been so long since I did the c/o it's hard to remember. I think with each week I felt less of the withdrawal effects from the ativan. I'm with you Snookie the v is the best benzo when it comes to tapering. For me it was a godsend. I really couldn't find my way off ativan whereas the valium is paving the way to my benzo freedom. I expect to be stepping off in the next 2-3 weeks.  :yippee:  I did notice an increase in depression but it began to lift when I got below 5 mgs.

I learned a lot about tapering valium from mtmimi and vertigo. I've included the links to their blogs.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=17837.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13817.0

Best of luck to you Snookie.

Leslie  :smitten:

Thanks Legos and Leslie. I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I really had a traumatic time trying to taper off of Klonopin and it has made me shell shocked. So I'm going to learn and apply all that I possibly can to doing it right this time. I'll certainly read those threads you included right away.

Abundant blessings to you!

Snookie

Hi Snookie,

I followed Dr. Ashton's c/o schedule and held for 4 weeks to allow the valium enough time to build up in my system. I wanted to do everything possible to ensure that I had a successful taper. I know others haven't held that long and did just fine. I guess you just have to go with how you are feeling.

Congratulations on a successful crossover.

Leslie

Could you point me in the right direction please?  Where is the Ashton manual does it explain to hold for 4 weeks before tapering from valium?  It would be really helpful if I could print this portion of the manual to take to my doctor.

Thank you.

Reg Peart mentions that Valium takes 4 weeks to fully build up in the body in this article at this link. I mainly used this article when talking to my doctor about going on Valium. I actually did not use the Ashton Manual myself because I already knew my doctor would not take the time. I needed something quick and clear so I printed this out.

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/valiumvklonopin.html

I also took this graphic that I made in photoshop. I printed it on a color printer. Using these two things he wrote me a prescription for valium in just a few minutes.

http://newearthpictures.com/Valium_vs_Klonopin.jpg

Also I never used the word Valium. I always called it Diazepam. Valium is a curse word in the USA. So call it Diazapam never Valium when you are at your doctors. These three things worked for me.  

Reg Peart mentions that Valium takes 4 weeks to fully build up in the body in this article at this link. I mainly used this article when talking to my doctor about going on Valium. I actually did not use the Ashton Manual myself because I already knew my doctor would not take the time. I needed something quick and clear so I printed this out.

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/valiumvklonopin.html

I also took this graphic that I made in photoshop. I printed it on a color printer. Using these two things he wrote me a prescription for valium in just a few minutes.

http://newearthpictures.com/Valium_vs_Klonopin.jpg

Also I never used the word Valium. I always called it Diazepam. Valium is a curse word in the USA. So call it Diazapam never Valium when you are at your doctors. These three things worked for me.  

Thank you very much.  I appreciate you taking the time to provide this helpful information.

Snookie - glad you were able to find the info that mmgc was asking for. I scoured the Ashton Manual and couldn't find it anywhere.

mmgc - good luck to you and let us know how your appointment with the doc goes.

Leslie  :smitten: :smitten: