Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

help please

[...]

In September 2010 I started tapering from 5 mg of Clonazepam daily.  October 3, 2011 I took my last dose of Clonazepam.  For about 2.5 weeks I felt fine.  Then out of the blue a severe panic attack hit me in the middle of a work day.  I tried to work through it but after several hours of the symptoms getting worse and worse I ended up going to the ER.  They sent me home with Ativan.  For a few days after this I felt fine again.  But since then (it's been about 3 weeks now) I've had severe panic attacks every day which last for hours and hours until I finally cannot take it anymore and administer Clonazepam and often also Ativan.  Are these withdrawal symptoms or is this the original problem I had before I started taking Clonazepam 5 years ago???

I've gone to see a several GP's.  One wanted to prescribe anti-depressants immediately without any discussion, so I went to see another GP who prescribed Buspar.  Has anyone had any expereince with Buspar??? Another GP is sending me to see a physiatrist - haven't had any good experiences with people from that profession regarding benzo withdrawal but I guess it can't hurt to try again.  Although this feels like a physical dependency not a phsycological one.

Now that I am not benzo free as I've been taking Clonazepam for panic attacks daily should I ask a GP to prescribe Diazepam (Valium) to attempt a substitution taper???  At this point my panic attacks are so bad that I am on a medical leave.  I had no idea that 2.5 weeks after being benzo free I'd be right back where I started 5 years ago.  I've recently read about Adrenal Fatigue being a possible cause of panic attacks. Does anyone know if Adrenal Fatigue could the problem or part of the problem???

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have been researching all benzos being I am coming off xanax and before that was on klonopin. I know how intense Panic attacks can be. I have had some that I thought that I was going to lose my mind, scream and run, and in the act have people look at me like a nut. I know that from what I read that certain Benzos stay in your system long and may take months to adjust to living a normal drug free life. The chemicals in your brain have to slowly adjust as well and for some people it might take longer then others. I wish you the best and hope that what I said was on the right track. I detoxed off klonopin and it took months for me to feel "normal" well whatever normal means, but in the end the anxiety won and now Im detoxing from xanax. Time and patience are always key.

Hi mmgc,

So sorry you find yourself in this situation.  Are you taking any other medication?  Have you quit any other medication? 

I dont know why you were put on benzos to start with, but the attacks you are describing as lasting for four hours at a time, well those dont seem like "normal" panic attacks.  They are reminiscent of what happened to me once all the drugs were out of my system.  In other words, they sound to me like a benzo withdrawal symptom.  Although it is a bit unusual to feel fine after getting off and then that far out, to experience these symptoms. 

My suspicion is that what you are experiencing is benzo withdrawal.  But I am not a doctor.  I dont have any experience with Buspar, sorry.  But if it is benzo withdrawal, then staying off the benzos is the cure. 

It sounds really rough and I am sorry you are going through this.  Sometimes adding in new drugs does complicate the picture.  But some folks have found some relief with certain things.  There are herbal and homeopathic remedies, like California Poppy and aconitum, that may be safer and give you some relief.  You might want to google a Japanese study on cortisol level reduction using l-argenine and l-lysine. 

One last bit of experience, if you do add in anything... go very slowly with the dose.  Take 1/8th of what is advised for "normal" people to start with and up the dose slowly.  Our nervous systems get very overstimulated quite easily.  Also of course, cut out coffee, tea and sugar.  B vitamins rev'd up my symptoms quite abit too. 

Good luck,

cdawg 

[a0...]

Before I ended up on Xanax for panic attacks in 1997, my family practitioner tried me on Buspar. It was a total waste of time and money and did nothing whatsoever for anxiety that led to panic attacks. (Buspar is an SSRI, more related to Prozac and the other SSRI, and it is NOT a benzodiazepine.)

For me, the panic attacks were situational and brief. (I think the protracted attacks you are having is more due to withdrawal and aren't panic attacks, per se, which tend to be relatively brief.) I was teaching high school, we'd just had my son so I was dealing with fatherhood, and I was going to graduate school at night. In short, I was burning the candle at both ends. My panic attacks all occurred when I was teaching. Having 30-40 students staring at me all day long was stressful, and after several panic attacks in which I left the classroom mid-lecture (I was having problems with blood pressure at the time and I excused my behavior to the school nurse as blood pressure problems) my physician finally prescribed Xanax. That was in September 1997.

In the summer of 1999 I spent about 4-6 weeks crossing over to Valium. For me, because it is more sedating, it worked better overall taking care of panic attacks and anxiety. The problem is, it felt so good and I began to feel so "normal" that I was unable to ever successfully taper. I tried a c/t in the summer of 2000 (lasted 17 days) and another in 2004 (lasted 23 days), and finally just resigned myself to a life of Valium addiction.

I did leave teaching after the fall of 1999 and went to grad school full-time in the spring of 2000 and got my Master's. I did not return to the classroom, but instead ended up working for several non-profit behavioral health treatment programs as a social worker for the next 11 years, until I lost my last job in April.

When I lost the job in April (on April Fool's Day!), I decided to try another c/t, which began April 2 and lasted on and off for 47 days (with several 2-3 days of reinstatement and/or rescue doses mixed in). I finally simply reinstated for good in early June and was back on 30-40 mg. of Valium for three months. When I hit September of this year I realized that later in the month I'd observe 14 years of benzo addiction and it was just too much. I made a vow to do a determined c/t and began it on September 7 and, with the exception of two days when I took "rescue doses," I have made it now 62 days. (I don't include the days I used in my grand total.)

I will not make an understatement about how difficult it is to get off benzos. Like I said, I just didn't half the self-discipline to taper down, which I know is the accepted protocol. I simply couldn't do it. So for me, three prior c/t's was the best I could do, and now I'm more than two months into my "final c/t" (as I am determined it will be) and I am still in a horrible place. I can't work. I can't sleep. The only good thing is that about six weeks into this the d/p and d/r began to fade and are no longer a problem, and I've been able to resume my morning walks.

However you choose to get off, it's going to be tough, but it CAN be done. Hell, if I can make it 62 days, anyone can!

I wish you luck in your endeavors to become benzo free!

Tucson

Me on Day 62 of my final c/t:  :'(

SO sorry to hear you are going through this tough time.  My experience is similar.  I was on clonazepam long-term and went off it slowly.  I had been off for a month and tried to return to work only to be hit with severe panic symptoms.  Although I'd experienced anxiety prior to benzos, I had never experienced panic issues or panic attacks.  I have also had to leave work due to these symptoms and my body's inability to handle stress.  I have no doubt that my experience is withdrawal related because it is so unlike anything I've ever experienced.  I would bet the cause of your situation is similar.  If you can ride this out without other meds, please try.  I know how hard this is, but hang in there. 

I'm three months off now and I can actually feel my mind becoming more resilient to stress. 

Take Care, Scott.

Hi mmgc,

So sorry you find yourself in this situation.  Are you taking any other medication?  Have you quit any other medication? 

I dont know why you were put on benzos to start with, but the attacks you are describing as lasting for four hours at a time, well those dont seem like "normal" panic attacks.  They are reminiscent of what happened to me once all the drugs were out of my system.  In other words, they sound to me like a benzo withdrawal symptom.  Although it is a bit unusual to feel fine after getting off and then that far out, to experience these symptoms. 

My suspicion is that what you are experiencing is benzo withdrawal.  But I am not a doctor.  I dont have any experience with Buspar, sorry.  But if it is benzo withdrawal, then staying off the benzos is the cure. 

It sounds really rough and I am sorry you are going through this.  Sometimes adding in new drugs does complicate the picture.  But some folks have found some relief with certain things.  There are herbal and homeopathic remedies, like California Poppy and aconitum, that may be safer and give you some relief.  You might want to google a Japanese study on cortisol level reduction using l-argenine and l-lysine. 

One last bit of experience, if you do add in anything... go very slowly with the dose.  Take 1/8th of what is advised for "normal" people to start with and up the dose slowly.  Our nervous systems get very overstimulated quite easily.  Also of course, cut out coffee, tea and sugar.  B vitamins rev'd up my symptoms quite abit too. 

Good luck,

cdawg 

Started taking homepathic meds called nervoheel a few days ago.  Was put on benzos 5 years ago to treat panic attacks.  The panic attacks I experienced back then also lasted for hours and hours and did not stop until I finally gave in and took benzos each time.  At that time I tried several antidepressants, naturopathic treatment, homeopathic treatment, therapy, CBT, accupuncture, yoga.  Nothing helped which is how I ended up on such high doses of Clonazepam for so long.  Cut caffeine and sugar before I started tapering in September 2010.  Have also been taking magnesium and omega 3 fatty acids since the start of my taper. 

Very discouraged by this setback as I am back on Clonazepam and now trying Buspar when the plan was to be free of medications.  Guess all I can do is keep trying.

Thank you for your input.

I have had several panic attacks after my w/d but not until about month 6 to 9 post benzo. I had read the book "Help and Healing for your nerves" by Claire Weeks and it really made me understand what was going on with my body and brain and now I have control over the panic attack if I feel one coming on which the longer I go without one the less I am having.  Going on and off the anti-anxiety meds might be making things even harder sometimes.  Benzo w/d is one of the hardest things to get thru but it can be done with alot of determination and education.  There is alot of information on this site.  It took me a 6 month c/t, reinstating for 6 months and a 6 month taper to get where I am now 14 months benzo free.  Things are still hard for me but they are getting better.  I know you will find your way out of this mess and the people here will do what they can to help.  Hang in there.

Hugs

Kristin

SO sorry to hear you are going through this tough time.  My experience is similar.  I was on clonazepam long-term and went off it slowly.  I had been off for a month and tried to return to work only to be hit with severe panic symptoms.  Although I'd experienced anxiety prior to benzos, I had never experienced panic issues or panic attacks.  I have also had to leave work due to these symptoms and my body's inability to handle stress.  I have no doubt that my experience is withdrawal related because it is so unlike anything I've ever experienced.  I would bet the cause of your situation is similar.  If you can ride this out without other meds, please try.  I know how hard this is, but hang in there. 

I'm three months off now and I can actually feel my mind becoming more resilient to stress. 

Take Care, Scott.

I've already failed in trying to ride it out as the symptoms are so debilitating that I am now taking Clonazepam along with this "new" drug, Buspar.  I don't have a family doctor and one of the walk in doctors I went to see a few days ago wouldn't even consider the possibility that these symptoms might be withdrawal symptoms when I suggested this.  She told me it was guaranteed the original panic disorder and pulled out a prescription pad right away.

I had 3 doctors do the same thing to me but I refused to take the meds.  I left one doctors office with 4 prescriptions 2 for benzo's, ambien and zoloft.  What a cocktail thank goodness I never got them filled.  I hope things get better.

Hugs

I tried BuSpar before I even knew they made anxiety drugs.  They are just SSRIs... All they gave me were migraines, and after a month I stopped taking them.  This was 8 years ago. 

2.5 weeks is still in the time-frame for having post w/d anxiety attacks.  I am sorry they are so bad... I wish you luck trying to explain to some doc about a proper taper.  Print the Ashton Manual and bring it with you, if you want.  Some doctor's think that 10 mg of Valium is the "cure all" for benzo w/d, when that's not even close to cutting it, dose per dose. 

Best of luck. 

I tried BuSpar before I even knew they made anxiety drugs.  They are just SSRIs... All they gave me were migraines, and after a month I stopped taking them.  This was 8 years ago. 

2.5 weeks is still in the time-frame for having post w/d anxiety attacks.  I am sorry they are so bad... I wish you luck trying to explain to some doc about a proper taper.  Print the Ashton Manual and bring it with you, if you want.  Some doctor's think that 10 mg of Valium is the "cure all" for benzo w/d, when that's not even close to cutting it, dose per dose.   

Best of luck. 

How do I figure out what the correct amount of Valium is to sucessfully taper this time?

Hey there,

Just to give you some perspective, it took me 10 months to taper off of just 1mg of clonazepam, and at the 5.5 month mark I am still having significant symptoms.  While I'm sure taking a full year to come off of 5mg of clonazepam might have seemed very conservative, it is much faster than the recommended pace of 10% cuts every 10-14 days (the Ashton Method) recommended for people who have difficulty coming off these drugs.

Coming off at a faster pace is appropriate for some people, and even if you came off even faster than was right for you you haven't done yourself any kind of permanent harm, but you will have more withdrawal symptoms for a while than if you had gone a little more slowly.

To answer your originaly question, I have absolutely no doubt that your panic attack was a withdrawal symptom this shortly off coming off such a high amount.  It is a classic withdrawal symptom.  I'm sorry that that happened to you, but hang in there as it is very normal.  Not knowing what you're dealing with is scary.  Knowing that you are dealing with withdrawal isn't great, but at least you know what you're dealing with and that it will ultimately leave you.

:)

Best of luck. 

How do I figure out what the correct amount of Valium is to sucessfully taper this time?

I hope this copies and pastes alright!  This is only 3mg Klonopin, but you're on 5, so you have to input the math.  The website is:  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

Schedule 6. Withdrawal from clonazepam (Klonopin) 3mg

daily with substitution of diazepam (Valium).

(1 mg clonazepam is equivalent to 20mg diazepam)

Morning

Midday/Afternoon

Evening/Night

Daily Diazepam

Equivalent

Starting dosage clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 1mg

60mg

Stage 1

(1-2 weeks) clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg

60mg

Stage 2

(1-2 weeks) clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg

60mg

Stage 3

diazepam 10mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 5mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg

55mg

Stage 4

diazepam 5mg Stop clonazepam

diazepam 15mg

50mg

Stage 5

(1-2 weeks) clonazepam 0.25mg

diazepam 5mg diazepam 15mg

45mg

Stage 6

diazepam 10mg clonazepam 0.25mg

40mg

Stage 7

(1-2 weeks) Stop clonazepam

35mg

Stage 8

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 10mg Stop clonazepam

30mg

Stage 9

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 10mg diazepam 2.5mg diazepam 15mg

27.5mg

Stage 10

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 12mg Stop diazepam diazepam 15mg

27mg

Stage 11

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 10mg

--

diazepam 15mg

25mg

Stage 12

--

diazepam 14mg

24mg

Stage 13

--

diazepam 12mg

22mg

Stage 14

--

diazepam 10mg

20mg

Continue from Schedule 5, Stage 10

Best of luck. 

I hope this copies and pastes alright!  This is only 3mg Klonopin, but you're on 5, so you have to input the math.  The website is:  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

Schedule 6. Withdrawal from clonazepam (Klonopin) 3mg

daily with substitution of diazepam (Valium).

(1 mg clonazepam is equivalent to 20mg diazepam)

Morning

Midday/Afternoon

Evening/Night

Daily Diazepam

Equivalent

Starting dosage clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 1mg

60mg

Stage 1

(1-2 weeks) clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg

60mg

Stage 2

diazepam 10mg clonazepam 1mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg

60mg

Stage 3

diazepam 5mg clonazepam 0.5mg

diazepam 10mg

55mg

Stage 4

diazepam 5mg Stop clonazepam

diazepam 15mg

50mg

Stage 5

45mg

Stage 6

40mg

Stage 7

(1-2 weeks) Stop clonazepam

35mg

Stage 8

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 10mg Stop clonazepam

30mg

Stage 9

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 10mg diazepam 2.5mg diazepam 15mg

27.5mg

Stage 10

(1-2 weeks) diazepam 12mg Stop diazepam diazepam 15mg

27mg

Stage 11

--

diazepam 15mg

25mg

Stage 12

--

diazepam 14mg

24mg

Stage 13

--

diazepam 12mg

22mg

Stage 14

--

diazepam 10mg

20mg

Continue from Schedule 5, Stage 10

I was on 5 mg over a year ago and managed to taper down to 0. However now I'm taking ativan for daily panic attacks.  I can probably stabilize at about 2 mg of Clonazepam and begin my taper from there.

I will discuss the use of Valium  with a doctor today as I would really rather be drug free than experiment with antidepressants again as I did 5 years ago.

Thanks for the informatin you provided.

Back from seeing my new GP.  She figures if I had stayed at .125 mg Clonazepam daily for much longer than I did things might have gone a bit smoother.  Well, what's done is done.  She wants me to stabilize at 2 mg of Clonazepam and taper again and then maybe introduce diazepam once I'm down to about .25 mg of Clonazepam daily.  She also told me to continue taking the Buspar.  She didn't much like the idea of using diazepam at all, she didn't seem to agree with what's stated in the Ashton Manual.  Hope she remembers agreeing to introducing diazepam once my dosage of Clonazepam is down to .25 mg again.

Sounds like you have a good plan and at least the doctor listened about the Ashton Manual.  I really hope you stablize and the taper goes well.  Just hang in there many of us have tried tapers before but once we find the right taper speed we succeed in getting off.  It took me 3 tries and so far the 3rd time has been the charm. 

Hugs

Kristin

Sounds like you have a good plan and at least the doctor listened about the Ashton Manual.  I really hope you stablize and the taper goes well.  Just hang in there many of us have tried tapers before but once we find the right taper speed we succeed in getting off.  It took me 3 tries and so far the 3rd time has been the charm. 

Hugs

Kristin

My concern is the Buspar.  I know I can taper off the Clonazepam again since I've done it before.  I don't feel good about taking it while I taper again.  My GP wants me to continue taking it.  I hate the idea of too many drugs in my system.  Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of the benzos out of my system before introducing any new meds to try to manage the withdrawal or panic that comes after the taper is finished?

I am currently tapering my anti-depressant nortriptylene and it has not been an easy taper as well.  I think the a/d helped me thru the worst part of the acute phase after my benzo taper but around the 9 - 10 month post benzo mark I started to slide backwards with horrible new symptoms that is when I started to think the a/d was hurting me at this point so about 2 months ago I started the a/d taper and I actually am starting to feel better (fingers crossed).  I only have 28 days of the a/d taper left then I am med free.  If you think the Buspar will help during and thru the taper then you might consider staying on it.  The other option is tapering them both at the same time but that could be brutal.  I don't remember is you started taking the Buspar or not if you haven't then you might want to see if you stablize on the benzo before you take it.  I know this is alot to think about but the ultimate decision is yours it's in your control.  The benzo w/d is the hardest thing to deal with and recover from and you will have set backs along the way with or without the Buspar.  This is a time for you to re-group and maybe take the taper more slowly.  Don't think about the time it will take to get off just thing about how slow you should go to keep the w/d symptoms as low as you can.  Hope this helps.  Hang in there you will do this I know you can.

Hugs

Kristin

I am currently tapering my anti-depressant nortriptylene and it has not been an easy taper as well.  I think the a/d helped me thru the worst part of the acute phase after my benzo taper but around the 9 - 10 month post benzo mark I started to slide backwards with horrible new symptoms that is when I started to think the a/d was hurting me at this point so about 2 months ago I started the a/d taper and I actually am starting to feel better (fingers crossed).  I only have 28 days of the a/d taper left then I am med free.  If you think the Buspar will help during and thru the taper then you might consider staying on it.  The other option is tapering them both at the same time but that could be brutal.  I don't remember is you started taking the Buspar or not if you haven't then you might want to see if you stablize on the benzo before you take it.  I know this is alot to think about but the ultimate decision is yours it's in your control.  The benzo w/d is the hardest thing to deal with and recover from and you will have set backs along the way with or without the Buspar.  This is a time for you to re-group and maybe take the taper more slowly.  Don't think about the time it will take to get off just thing about how slow you should go to keep the w/d symptoms as low as you can.  Hope this helps.  Hang in there you will do this I know you can.

Hugs

Kristin

Thank you for your words of encouragement, Kristin.

I quit BuSpar after taking it daily for a month or so, with no ill effects.  That doesn't mean you won't, but I highly doubt it. 

You're just going to have to tell your doc that it's YOUR body and brain, and you feel this is the best method for you, and it is YOUR choice-- not hers. 

I quit BuSpar after taking it daily for a month or so, with no ill effects.  That doesn't mean you won't, but I highly doubt it. 

You're just going to have to tell your doc that it's YOUR body and brain, and you feel this is the best method for you, and it is YOUR choice-- not hers. 

Talked to my doctor today and told her that I'm discontinuing the Buspar.  I want to focus on getting the Clonazepam out of my system or at least to a low enough dose to start introducing diazepam.

In September 2010 I started tapering from 5 mg of Clonazepam daily.  October 3, 2011 I took my last dose of Clonazepam.  For about 2.5 weeks I felt fine.  Then out of the blue a severe panic attack hit me in the middle of a work day.  I tried to work through it but after several hours of the symptoms getting worse and worse I ended up going to the ER.  They sent me home with Ativan.  For a few days after this I felt fine again.  But since then (it's been about 3 weeks now) I've had severe panic attacks every day which last for hours and hours until I finally cannot take it anymore and administer Clonazepam and often also Ativan.  Are these withdrawal symptoms or is this the original problem I had before I started taking Clonazepam 5 years ago???

I've gone to see a several GP's.  One wanted to prescribe anti-depressants immediately without any discussion, so I went to see another GP who prescribed Buspar.  Has anyone had any expereince with Buspar??? Another GP is sending me to see a physiatrist - haven't had any good experiences with people from that profession regarding benzo withdrawal but I guess it can't hurt to try again.  Although this feels like a physical dependency not a phsycological one.

Now that I am not benzo free as I've been taking Clonazepam for panic attacks daily should I ask a GP to prescribe Diazepam (Valium) to attempt a substitution taper???  At this point my panic attacks are so bad that I am on a medical leave.  I had no idea that 2.5 weeks after being benzo free I'd be right back where I started 5 years ago.  I've recently read about Adrenal Fatigue being a possible cause of panic attacks. Does anyone know if Adrenal Fatigue could the problem or part of the problem???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mmgc hello!  In answer to your question at the bottom of your thread about Adrenal Fatigue....Yes, Adrenal Gland fatigue is very real, and in some people can exacerbate panic disorder symptom's.  But, in combination with the WD arena of Benzo's, one can certainly be more prone to panic attck's at times.

Val.* is prescribed for some to target panic attack's....so it goes.... Take care on your healing journey.