Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Coming off xanax with Librium.

[Ni...]

Was wondering if anyone ever came off xanax with this method, what did it feel like and shoudl I be scared? I take 3 mlgs of xanax a day and my new doc is going to give me high doses of Librium on my starting day and taper it down to one pill very fast? Is this normal? How bad will me anxiety be? I cant even leave my house when I have anxiety at that level? I am freaking out.. I wish that I never took xanax in the first place. Its a shame how fast and addictive it can be. If anyone can tell me about how they came down or off using this method I would be very appreciative, thanks :)

Hello NicoleT84, Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

No one can say for sure how you will feel or what symptoms you will experience when you come off of your benzos, since everyone is different.  However, a fast taper increases the chances of having a more intense withdrawal experience.  At this site we generally recommend tapering based on the Ashton Manual guidelines, but others have gone off their benzos slower or even quicker than that method recommends and with good results.

Will your doctor's quick taper be tolerable for you? Possibly, but based on the symptoms you say you are already experiencing I have a feeling that it may be too tough.  Hopefully your doctor is willing to work with you in case you feel the need to slow down.  How long have you been on Xanax?

There are others who have tapered with Librium, but the most common benzo that people switch to is Valium.  Is your doctor switching you over to the correct amount of Librium?  According to the equivalency chart, 3 mgs of Xanax is about 150 mgs of Librium.

I am sure other members who have been in similar circumstances will chime in.  I hope you find this forum as a helpful tool in your recovery.

Crono