Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Advice from those who went thru surgery while on a benzo

[Mi...]

I would greatly appreciate some experiences from those who had surgery while on a benzo. I'm on Ativan 2.5 mg every 5 hours. I need surgery abd would like some advice on how this works when you ate stable and depend on your benzo every day. I'm going to taper within a month and feel good right now. Please respond!

MK

I had a serious surgery last year while on Xanax.  I was around 1 mg. at the time. 

When the doc/hospital does your pre-surgery stuff, they will ask what medications you are currently taking.  Be sure to tell them about the Ativan and all other medications you take.  They will also need to know the dosages.  ...oh, and be sure to tell them about supplements.

They will use this information to make sure that you receive the same amount of Ativan or similar dose so that you won't have any withdrawal or s/x's while in their care. 

...At least that's what they did with me.  I was in the hospital for 7 days after surgery.

You should also double check by asking them how they plan to maintain your Ativan dose.

Thank you! This is an outpatient surgery. About an hour or so long. Just afraid of not having the Ativan the entire day and going into withdrawal because of this and I'm feeling good actually.