Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Having surgery in 2 weeks

[Mi...]

How will my surgery affect my Ativan use? I dose every 5 hours. I haven't started my taper yet. Any advice would be great. The surgery I'm having will not really need any painkillers. Maybe a high dose of ibuprofen.

MK

If you are going under general anesthesia, they may want to give you versed, which is a benzo. You will want to talk with the anesthesiologist.

If you are stable on the ativan, that is a plus.  But you wont be able to dose 5 times during day of surgery, right?  That is the only issue I would see. 

cdawg

I dont know if I'll be able to dose 5 times. I'm waiting to hear from my psych to call back. I mean could this just throw me off ghe charts? I may consider waiting on the surgery if I can. I really have been stable and getting ready to taper soon. But this surgery was advised. So are you saying versed may he'll me with not dosing some of my Ativan that day because it is a benzo?

The versed is shorter acting, given IV.  So you will want to talk with the anesthesiologist.  Maybe that will cover one or two of your doses. 

You arent in withdrawal, though.  So you will likely not have much of an issue, even if you miss a dose.  That is my thinking, I am not a doctor though.  So talk to yours. 

Good luck!

cdawg