Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Recovered from Benzos

[re...]

I was a member a while ago on benzowithdrawal (as accidentaladdict) and I saw the website was down. I'm through my benzo nightmare, but wanted to post my success story here, because I know how important those stories were to me when I was in the thick of it.

My experience with benzos was pretty severe and almost took my life. I had a severe allergic/paradoxical reaction to them that, do to a perfect storm of events, was not discovered until months later. They were originally given to me in the ER, and I do not, nor have I ever had an "anxiety" problem. I was in the hospital about four times over a four month period. They ran tests ranging from mri's to blood work. They kept me pumped full of benzos (mainly ativan), and when everything came back "normal" they told me to see a psychiatrist. My body was swollen, I was in convulsions, I had involuntary movements, and in the end I was blacking in and out of consciousness.

I'm telling the worst, because I want to reassure everyone that you do get better. I stopped the drugs cold turkey and I've never experienced such hell. It took time for me to fully recover, but I went off the drugs last October and I can tell you I've been better for many months now. I don't want to give my timeline for recovery simply because I don't think that's fair to people who take more or less time to get well, but we do get well. The sleep returns and we get our minds back.

During the worst there was little I could do to help myself, but as time progressed exercise, eating well (when I could finally eat again), distraction, and positive thinking all helped. I think like with any other "disease" there are things we can do to help along the healing process. Self reassurance is the most important thing. You will be ok. I've seen a few stories on here of people recently off of ativan that are struggling with insomnia. It absolutely gets better. My experience was horrendous, but I'm so much stronger for it now.

Hi recovered, welcome to BenzoBuddies

Thank you for sharing your story, what and inspiration this is  :thumbsup:

We have quite a few members here that have come from Benzowithdrawal, I'm sure you'll run into them. Make yourself at home, and again thank you and congratulations!

Star

This really helped me.  I, too, have had problems with involuntary movements.  So, hearing from someone else who experienced them and has improved, is very comforting.

Also, I never had an anxiety problem either.  This happened as a result of a supplement I purchased from my doctor.

Thank you so much for posting.  Bless you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I am in a cold turkey right now because I was upping my doses due to tolerance and ran out of Xanax.  I plan on sticking it out and your post definitely meant a lot too me.  After reading all the posts about how bad W/D is and all, it's good to find one that speaks to you.  I was looking for some positivity and I found it  :D

[92...]

Recovered,

Thank you so much for your story.  I'm sorry you went through such hell!  I appreciate your story, as I am 9 days without benzos after 11 years on them (ativan).  Your story is inspiring and reminds me that someday, I will be healed.

Sam

Hi Recovered,

Thanks for sharing your story.  You have definitely been through so much.  It's great to see that you're off of the benzos.  Congratulations again!

fg

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! It's great that there's this resource here so people can relate and understand what you're going through or have gone through.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Recovered,

I just read your Introduction/Success Story....It was very encouraging to read and I think it was wise to not reveal the time frame of your healing...I can see the wisdom in that...anyways I'm so glad you are healed and living your life...feeling happiness and joy again. I was hoping that you would post this in the Success Stories because it gives the members a better chance of reading it and we can never had enough Success Stories!

Best wishes,

Mtnhigh