Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Do you take everything way too seriously?

[Ho...]

Maybe it's just me. But I take every single thought I have so seriously, like it's life or death. I don't remember how to just sit back and relax in life. Graduating in 6 months if scaring me because once again, getting a job feels like life or death. Because I take everything so seriously I can't stop worrying and obsessing about it. I hope I'm explaining this clear enough. I'm not sure if it's a symptom but I really think it is - I don't remember feeling like this before klonopin. I'm still waiting for it to go away, but at 5 months it's still going stronger than ever.

Oh, Holly.  Have you been reading my mind??  :laugh:

I do have this tendency to take things way too seriously, especially when I am feeling anxious and overwhelmed.

I love when someone makes me laugh.  It's so wonderful to be able to laugh at myself.  I can come up with some real "humdingers" sometimes.  I am actually chuckling right now thinking of some of the "worst case scenarios" that I have been thinking of lately.  Like, how in the heck do I really "know" what my life will look like when I am 60!  Yes, I worry about that a lot!  I could be enjoying some really neat things instead of imagining myself  with grey hair and diving in a dumpster for dinner. I mean I am really out there sometimes!

I honestly wonder where I come up with some of my distorted thoughts  :idiot:

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Hey Holly,

That's absolutely a symptom of anxiety... but I also think it's ramped up during WD.  I've even had feelings of guilt about minor things that were strong and lasted in the back of my mind for a day or two. Then when I feel a bit better, I find it ridiculous that I could have been so caught up in it.

If I were you, I would approach this like it being a normal part of anxiety... made worse by WD. So, that means that you'll need to put some work into it

as if it were just a regular symptom. But, you can also expect that to ease a bit on its own as your WD eases.

Have you read Dr. Claire Weekes' books? She covers a lot that is applicable to anxiety, but also relates to WD in a way... because it's about acceptance of

symptoms and knowing in your heart that it's not permanent or dangerous.  This is one of the things I find that I really have to work on consciously, daily.

My brain also wants to pay so much credence to these symptoms... as opposed to realizing what they really are... fleeting, temporary periods of feeling bad.

Hang in there and try not to react to the thoughts the best you can. Let them exist, don't try to push them out. Sit with them and see if you an make peace

with them. They'll get less threatening the more you can do this.  I'm working on this same thing every day.

Very helpful tips, thank you. Right now I'm reading "The Undervalued Self" and it's a great book, but I will look into Weekes' books.

I look back on when I was younger, around age 12 or so, and everything was so much more wonderful. I didn't worry, all I concentrated on was having fun and being active. Now I'm anticipating working full time in 6 months, and I do not know how I'll be able to stand interacting with people at least 8 hours a day, every day, indefinitely. It's so hard for me because I constantly feel I have to be "on" around people and it's completely exhausting. Here's to hoping I get better before then  :-\

• 2 weeks later...

YES! I take things way too seriously.  Dumb stuff too.  I wish I didn't care so much  :-\

A lot of times, I need to "take it down a notch" b/c the thoughts go over and over in my head and it gets me no where.

I think it's worse too being a girl!

I'm normally a worry wort so not surprising that one of my biggest symptoms is increased anxiety about anything and everything. I tend to take things personally too when it's not personal at all. Working on that one too. This has been one heck of a way to realize and come to grips with this characteristics that need a little tweak. I remember when I graduated high school i was a nervous wreck. Then everything went fine and nothing went wrong. Yours will too I'm sure.