Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Would like information about tapering off xanax

[ch...]

Hi I've been on Xanax for the last 12 years. Started with a very small dose for panic attacks. I slowly increased to 3mg per day. Two weeks ago I decided it was time to start tapering off. I've decided to do it slowly i.e. 0.25mg reduction every month. Is this a reasonable reduction? My main symptoms so far are constant headaches, feeling hot then cold, strong craving from the pit of my stomach, bit agitated, some anxiety, very low self drive, not wanting to see people other than my family, Thanks.

Hi chev,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

We generally suggest a taper rate of 10% every 1-2 weeks. With a medication like Xanax this can be achieved more smoothly with a cross over to valium.

Is your doctor helping you with your taper?

If you haven't already, I suggest you read The Ashton Manual. http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/ There is a lot of really good information there. That's the first thing I read when I decided to taper and it addressed a lot of my questions.

You'll get a lot of feedback from others who have tapered off Xanax on the General Taper board. You can post a new topic there if you like.

You'll find a lot of information and support here.

Hope