Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Six months on and the return of symptoms

[...]

I am disappointed because the symptoms that I thought were gone for good have resurfaced over the last couple of days... I began to feel so jumpy again, with acute reactions to internal and external stimuli of all kinds, loud tinnitus and pounding heart. I cannot find any reasonable explanation for their appearance :(. I wonder if anyone else has gone through such a phrase in their recovery? It's my sixth month in withdrawal and thought this was already behind me. :(

On a more positive note, I often (even now in this setback) get this feeling as if there was only one piece missing and if I figured it out or some event precipitated it, I would be fine, my old-self again. Even during my worst spells, I can glimpse for a few seconds that my nervous reactions are senseless, useless and should soon cease. I am not sure if this is just wishful thinking - do big breakthroughs actually happen in recovery or is it a matter of small, incremental steps? I am not talking about 100% healing of course, but a really big turning point that leaps over months of snail-paced progress?

Thank Heavens for all of you, courages Buddies! :) I applaud you all for your bearing with w/d - we will overcome this!  :thumbsup:

Hi Samm,

This healing isn't linear, you may feel some setbacks but it's still your body recovering. I know every time I had a setback I'd come out of it twice as good as before it hit. 6 months can still be a bit early for some of us, just know that healing is happening and you should feel less and less intense symptoms the farther from the drug you are. Hang in there Samm :mybuddy:

My pattern has been like Starbirds, when I get hit long and hard there are usually more improvements waiting for me at the end of the wave.  We tend to get really hopeful during windows that another intense wave won't hit...only to have to face the reality of another wave...over and over again...but from what I understand eventually the windows get longer and the waves less intense until they fizzle out for good.

[12...]

I have been in a bit of a wave myself this past week.  I too had been feeling like my old self again before this setback.  As i feel myself finally starting to settle, I am really realizing that it's not the end of the world when these waves hit (even though it sure feel like it!). Healing does happen, it just takes forever! :)

I hope you're better soon, Samm.