Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

24/7 VERTIGO Since Cut

[St...]

Hi Folks!

After getting down from 2.5 of Val., to around 1.5 back in early September, have had serious type Vertigo for the last 7 week's.  Not the simple dizzy stuff, but the kind where you wake up and crash into the wall's trying to get somewhere. Ugh.

When I told my Dr. awhile ago that I had been downsizing on that stuff, and the Vertigo symptom's, he said: "Well, the Val. was probably covering up Menier's, and now it is no longer masked. You probably need more Val again."  I thought to myself, yeah right, not!  So then I happened to mention the weight gain. His answer:  "Let's put you on Topomx.! That will make you lose weight!".  No thank's doc. 

Have had veritgo before, for a day or two, but never for almost 2 month's.  Needless to say, chose to go upwards on dose, by less then 1 mg in order to drive my car to get food.  G-rrrrr. Now diminishing that again pinch, by pinch.

Curious if anyone else has ever downsized from Val. to a tiny amount, on a very slow wd program (1 year plus), and had then experienced EXTREME vertigo (like your on a never-ending, twirling carnival ride.

Sometimes I think it is just the Candida thing, as when I "cheat" and eat forbidden food's like peanut's, or corn tortilla's, the vertigo get's worse.

This is rather insidious, and sick of taking that mecklazine every day to lessen the super-dizziness.

Hi

My balance vertigo dizzyness or what ever you want to call it is so bad that I feel like a car that has lost its steering.

I can not walk a straight line Im walking into walls, furniture all the time. I stumble and have no co ordination and feel like Im about to faint or blck out

Im now somewhere under .50 of V. Not sure as I am water tapering.

I feel like im totally drunk!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.  There are several here that have suffered this awful symptom.  Mine has lasted 8-1/2 months.  It is less than when it first started but it is still there.  I have been in a bad wave this past week and the dizziness has increased a bunch.  I have had to put a scopolamine patch on just to get through the day and go to work.  Hang in there. I hope yours goes away soon.

Hi

My balance vertigo dizzyness or what ever you want to call it is so bad that I feel like a car that has lost its steering.

I can not walk a straight line Im walking into walls, furniture all the time. I stumble and have no co ordination and feel like Im about to faint or blck out

Im now somewhere under .50 of V. Not sure as I am water tapering.

I feel like im totally drunk!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Amber! Whoah....sounds like one "bad ride" youv'e been on with the vertigo thing. Appreciate reading your input on this weird symptom. So, are your dizzy spells intermittent, or has it been daily for several week's??  :D

Wishing you all the best.

I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.  There are several here that have suffered this awful symptom.  Mine has lasted 8-1/2 months.  It is less than when it first started but it is still there.   I have been in a bad wave this past week and the dizziness has increased a bunch.  I have had to put a scopolamine patch on just to get through the day and go to work.  Hang in there. I hope yours goes away soon.

Hi Armslynd59!  Holy Mackarel! Ok, that is a long time that you have suffered with creepy vertigo. Makes me wonder if you had V. onset prior to becoming Benz.Free, or if you started to notice it as you got closer to your goal? I have a lot of empathy for anyone suffering with this Vert. symptom and having to go to a job.  Never heard of scopolamine patch.  Hoping you will soon be free of Vert.

Appreciated your input for sure.

I tapered off of K, but had a two week perior of extreme dizziness. It was like that spinning you get when you've had to much to drink! I refused to take anything for it because I have a bit of a med-phobia (wonder why??  ::)) since this mess started. I ended up trying sea-bands, and I think they helped a little.

I still get dizziness at 6 months off, but it doesn't last as long. Take care Starwolf, hope you feel better soon.

Jeff M.

I don't know where my vertigo came from. I've never experienced it before in my life until I stopped the benzo. I think my cerebellum is messed up. I've had all the tests and everything is normal so it's got to be my brain trying to heal. Scopolamine is an anti-motion sickness patch that goes behind your ear.  A doctor has to prescribe it.  People going on cruises usually get them before they sail.  It helps but it also comes with side effects when going off of them. It's a catch-22 to use them. I hope you are feeling better today.

I tapered off of K, but had a two week perior of extreme dizziness. It was like that spinning you get when you've had to much to drink! I refused to take anything for it because I have a bit of a med-phobia (wonder why??  ::)) since this mess started. I ended up trying sea-bands, and I think they helped a little.

I still get dizziness at 6 months off, but it doesn't last as long. Take care Starwolf, hope you feel better soon.

Jeff M.

Hi Floydhead86!  Appreciated you sharing your Vertigo bout's after downsizing off of K., and how you even experience the dizziness after 6 month's out.  Wow! With the input on this little thread about Vertigo symptoms, it helps to give a strong reality check on some of the tribulation's some have to go through to reach their goal of zero mg. But, now it seems that some still can suffer month's out. Congratulation's on your B-Free goal, and wishing you good health too.

I don't know where my vertigo came from. I've never experienced it before in my life until I stopped the benzo. I think my cerebellum is messed up. I've had all the tests and everything is normal so it's got to be my brain trying to heal. Scopolamine is an anti-motion sickness patch that goes behind your ear.  A doctor has to prescribe it.  People going on cruises usually get them before they sail.  It helps but it also comes with side effects when going off of them. It's a catch-22 to use them. I hope you are feeling better today.

Geez....what you have been experiencing for so long sounds simply awful. You sound like you have alot of courage and face the storm with a positive, and matter-of-fact attitude. Appreciated you taking the time to describe the Scopolamine patch.  Last nite was the first nite in 8+ weeks that I chose not to take that mecklaz. for the extreme Vert. symptom's.  Less deep sleep without it, but feel alert this morning and not like a dizzy "zombie".  Wishing you good health as well.

[4a...]

To me it feels like the world is spinning and you feel it.

You cannot put physics with it.

Going mad feeling.

I hope this passes soon.

Billy.

I experienced vertigo on and off a little, but then very badly towards the end with the last few cuts, and then completely for about 2 months after the last cut.  Stuff like having to hold on to the kitchen table while I was sitting at it so I wouldn't fall, or to the sides of my chair at work (vertigo being the last nail in my employability coffin).  I also managed to give myself a nasty knot on my forehead when I was trying to walk into my kitchen and somehow just completely failed to clear the doorway.

All I can say is just hang in there.  I am very aware that it's no fun at all, but just rest assured that it's going to wear off.  Also, don't let your doctor mess with your head and try to make you think you must have some sort of other terrible disease!  Stuff like that is the absolute last thing that people in withdrawal need to be hearing!  Vertigo is such an incredibly common symptom it's just a lot of ignorance on his part.

So, in short, I've been there and done that and am sorry that you have to deal with it.  I would suggest just accepting it for the time being and just wait it out secure in the knowledge that it will pass.

:)

To me it feels like the world is spinning and you feel it.

You cannot put physics with it.

Going mad feeling.

I hope this passes soon.

Billy.

Hello there Sigma0123!! Sure was nice to log back onto this site and read some more compassionate words, and knowing people like yourself have also been suffering with Vert.  Your right, you cannot put physics with the spinning sensation's.  Yeah, and like losing control of one's fairly independent nature can make you feel a bit whacko!  I hope your  :D symptom's subside for you sooner, then later!

I experienced vertigo on and off a little, but then very badly towards the end with the last few cuts, and then completely for about 2 months after the last cut.  Stuff like having to hold on to the kitchen table while I was sitting at it so I wouldn't fall, or to the sides of my chair at work (vertigo being the last nail in my employability coffin).  I also managed to give myself a nasty knot on my forehead when I was trying to walk into my kitchen and somehow just completely failed to clear the doorway.

All I can say is just hang in there.  I am very aware that it's no fun at all, but just rest assured that it's going to wear off.  Also, don't let your doctor mess with your head and try to make you think you must have some sort of other terrible disease!  Stuff like that is the absolute last thing that people in withdrawal need to be hearing!  Vertigo is such an incredibly common symptom it's just a lot of ignorance on his part.

So, in short, I've been there and done that and am sorry that you have to deal with it.  I would suggest just accepting it for the time being and just wait it out secure in the knowledge that it will pass.

Hi there, Sweet G!  Real nice post you wrote too. Very appreciated, and empowering for sure. That must have been a real wicked time to have to go to your job with those serious bout's of Vert. you described so well. You rode it out like a trooper it seems. Great to read the words: "Vertig. is such an incredibly COMMON SYMPTOM..." Ok, I can memorize that phrase! :), and accept this crappy symptom for now! Oh, by the way....Congratulation's on your success!

Star it is with me all the time and getting worse as I taper

Hello Amber!  That is definitely no fun if it has been so long to experience Vert.  Curious Cat here, I am wondering if you did a super slow taper like I did, or a fairly quick one? Gee, I sure hope your  :D begin's to lighten up soon.  I noticed today, by cutting out All salt (ugh), it seemed to improve the Vert. the last 4 hrs. Dunno. But, the high pitched ringing Tinnitus never stops. Wishing you well on your taper journey.

oh, and let me give you a major tip!  I hope that this might work for you as it really worked for me, and I'm lucky that I found it because it's so *completely* counter-intuitive, but I found that when I was walking or riding my bike I would have relief from the vertigo.  I have absolutely no idea why, but for some reason just having a gentle forward motion canceled out all of the dizziness.

I first noticed this that last awful week at work.  My job was supporting computers in five different departments so I had to do a lot of walking around during the day.  Of course the instinct when you're feeling dizzy is to stay put so you don't get yourself into any trouble, which is actually highly reasonable, but luckily this was primarily a closed pedestrian area and I pretty much had to, anyway, because I was on the clock.  I was really surprised when I noticed this.

Similarly, during the summer, there was a flat and low traffic route to a swimming hole that I rode my bike to as the only exercise I was capable of getting, and again, during the ride for some reason, again, the slow gentle forward motion canceled out the dizziness.

I don't know if it will work for you or if you have a safe area to walk in, but wouldn't it be nice if you could get a little fresh air, exercise, and some vertigo relief all at once?

Best wishes.

Starwolf

No not a long taper About 8mgs in nine months. this is my third with drawl in about 10 years and the worst one yet. Hopefully the last.

Sweet G You are so right about no vertigo when in motion.

I dont feel it when Im driving. when I get out of the car I forget and nearly fall in a heap.

My speech is slurred too. No wonder people think I have been drinking!!!!

There are many nasty withdrawal symptoms but in my opinion VERTIGO is by far the worst......for those of you out there hat do not get this symptom consider yourself blessed.  It is so scary and so bad it is hard to explain.  I had an episode 1 month into my C/T and it was ferocious....I would wake up in the morning and the room was spinning out of control so fast that it would knock me down to my knees and I would vomit (and cry) from the spinning effect...vertigo is the feeling that everything around you is moving but when you are stationary.

I can tell you that at 10 months off I have not had a reoccurence but who knows with this crazy withdrwal process...it could happen again....will let you all know.  Anything can happen in recovery.

There is no predicting this nonsense.  It is scary stuff.  VERTIGO IS NO JOKE.

Andy

I really appreciate all the comments on this thread.  I have been suffering so long with the dizziness and balance problems that I've been giving up hope that it will ever get better.  I was starting to think it has to be something else because it is lasting so long but reading the comments has made it easier.  I have noticed when I'm in motion it does diminish somewhat and driving makes it go away.  I guess I'll just have to drive around 24/7, lol.

oh, and let me give you a major tip!  I hope that this might work for you as it really worked for me, and I'm lucky that I found it because it's so *completely* counter-intuitive, but I found that when I was walking or riding my bike I would have relief from the vertigo.  I have absolutely no idea why, but for some reason just having a gentle forward motion canceled out all of the dizziness.

I first noticed this that last awful week at work.  My job was supporting computers in five different departments so I had to do a lot of walking around during the day.  Of course the instinct when you're feeling dizzy is to stay put so you don't get yourself into any trouble, which is actually highly reasonable, but luckily this was primarily a closed pedestrian area and I pretty much had to, anyway, because I was on the clock.  I was really surprised when I noticed this.

Similarly, during the summer, there was a flat and low traffic route to a swimming hole that I rode my bike to as the only exercise I was capable of getting, and again, during the ride for some reason, again, the slow gentle forward motion canceled out the dizziness.

I don't know if it will work for you or if you have a safe area to walk in, but wouldn't it be nice if you could get a little fresh air, exercise, and some vertigo relief all at once?

Best wishes.

Hey there, Sweet G! Great tip's and reminder's for folks with the Vertigo creepiness! Enjoyed your description of your job scenerio and having to deal with: :D. Plus picturing taking a lovely ride on one's bicycle down a country road and feeling "upright", with no swaying.  Ok, as soon as my sprained ankle is healed up, definitely hittin' the road on foot once again. Best Wishes to you too!

Starwolf

No not a long taper About 8mgs in nine months. this is my third with drawl in about 10 years and the worst one yet. Hopefully the last.

Sweet G You are so right about no vertigo when in motion.

I dont feel it when Im driving. when I get out of the car I forget and nearly fall in a heap.

My speech is slurred too. No wonder people think I have been drinking!!!!

Hi Amber!  Dang, that is tough to go through again. You do sound positive and courageous, so most likely you are able to make it your last trip in H E Double toothpick's! Yeah, that slurred speech thing! Right!  I thought maybe I was drunk the other day when I spoke, and then I remembered I don't drink. LOL.  Wishing you a successful, healing journey!

There are many nasty withdrawal symptoms but in my opinion VERTIGO is by far the worst......for those of you out there hat do not get this symptom consider yourself blessed.  It is so scary and so bad it is hard to explain.  I had an episode 1 month into my C/T and it was ferocious....I would wake up in the morning and the room was spinning out of control so fast that it would knock me down to my knees and I would vomit (and cry) from the spinning effect...vertigo is the feeling that everything around you is moving but when you are stationary.

I can tell you that at 10 months off I have not had a reoccurence but who knows with this crazy withdrwal process...it could happen again....will let you all know.  Anything can happen in recovery.

There is no predicting this nonsense.  It is scary stuff.  VERTIGO IS NO JOKE.

Andy

Hello Wss5900! Dude, what you wrote are powerful, and well stated words about the seriousness and wicked nature of some states of Vertigo.  When one has this happen in a public place, lieng on the floor of the shop because there is no way of standing, and someone calls in the EMT's to take you by ambulance to an ER, one feels helpless and so vulnerable. That time blood pressure dropped to 67 over 34 (after the Vert.attack). Wow....you did CT from Val after several year's? Well, applaud your courage and glad you are not suffering with Vert. at this time. All the best to you.

I really appreciate all the comments on this thread.  I have been suffering so long with the dizziness and balance problems that I've been giving up hope that it will ever get better.  I was starting to think it has to be something else because it is lasting so long but reading the comments has made it easier.  I have noticed when I'm in motion it does diminish somewhat and driving makes it go away.  I guess I'll just have to drive around 24/7, lol.

Hi Armslynd59! Well, I for one, appreciate your comment's also on this thread, and sharing some of the horror with the severe Vert. you have had to face for over 8 Moon's. Sigh...Yes, I agree with you, that the input from other sufferer's of Vert. on this thread has bolstered our courage, and given some good reality checks, that Vert. can be a horrid symptom of WD from Benz.* Sure hope this recent week of accelerated Vert. symptom's for yourself, will subside tremendously soon.

Hi Starwolf,

There are so many posts on this thread regarding vertigo that I was not sure if I could offer anything.  But, after reading your initial post decided to chime in.

I was prescribed Klonopin for vertigo about 22 years ago.  I was actually worse taking it, and just stopped.  Did not know about benzos, tapering anything then.  I went from being so dizzy I could not function to gradually getting better after stopping Klonopin.  It took months to get better.  But, I still had the original intermittent vertigo/balance problems, which Dr. thought was a variation of Meniere's.  Ten years ago Dr. convinced me to try Lorazepam.  It seemed to help until last year when I got so sick that Drs. thought I had a serious neuromuscular problem (I didn't, it was Lorazepam).  When I figured out the association to Lorazepam and started tapering, I was very dizzy all the time, for months.  I was scared to death because I knew that Lorazepam had helped for a time, and I had nothing to treat the vertigo except Bonine (like meclizine), but was afraid to take it as I reacted to everything.  As time has gone by, the vertigo is much, much better.  It gets a little more pronounced when I make cuts, but subsides again, and is nowhere near what it was.  I have not had to take one Bonine so far during the taper.  I am back to walking long distances, using the treadmill etc. 

Over the years before my taper started, I had made an association to what I eat and vertigo symptoms.  When I started taper, I also went gluten free at the suggestion of my Dr.  I strictly follow a gluten free, low salt, low sugar, no caffeine, no chemical additive diet.  If I deviate, I notice my symptoms increase.

In the last year, I have seen so many threads about dizziness on this site, and on the site I used to post on.  Vertigo is a very, very common symptom of benzo withdrawal.  It is scary, but it subsides in time.  Really doubt you have Meniere's.  You would have known this before.  I am not a Dr. but would bet the dizziness is benzo related only.

Good luck.  Hope you feel better soon.

Yael

Hi Starwolf,

There are so many posts on this thread regarding vertigo that I was not sure if I could offer anything.  But, after reading your initial post decided to chime in.

I was prescribed Klonopin for vertigo about 22 years ago.  I was actually worse taking it, and just stopped.  Did not know about benzos, tapering anything then.  I went from being so dizzy I could not function to gradually getting better after stopping Klonopin.  It took months to get better.  But, I still had the original intermittent vertigo/balance problems, which Dr. thought was a variation of Meniere's.  Ten years ago Dr. convinced me to try Lorazepam.  It seemed to help until last year when I got so sick that Drs. thought I had a serious neuromuscular problem (I didn't, it was Lorazepam).  When I figured out the association to Lorazepam and started tapering, I was very dizzy all the time, for months.  I was scared to death because I knew that Lorazepam had helped for a time, and I had nothing to treat the vertigo except Bonine (like meclizine), but was afraid to take it as I reacted to everything.  As time has gone by, the vertigo is much, much better.  It gets a little more pronounced when I make cuts, but subsides again, and is nowhere near what it was.  I have not had to take one Bonine so far during the taper.  I am back to walking long distances, using the treadmill etc. 

Over the years before my taper started, I had made an association to what I eat and vertigo symptoms.  When I started taper, I also went gluten free at the suggestion of my Dr.  I strictly follow a gluten free, low salt, low sugar, no caffeine, no chemical additive diet.  If I deviate, I notice my symptoms increase.

In the last year, I have seen so many threads about dizziness on this site, and on the site I used to post on.  Vertigo is a very, very common symptom of benzo withdrawal.  It is scary, but it subsides in time.  Really doubt you have Meniere's.  You would have known this before.  I am not a Dr. but would bet the dizziness is benzo related only.

Good luck.  Hope you feel better soon.

Yael

Hello Yael!  Enjoyed your post about some of your personal journey with Vert. and the medicine you were prescribed. Definitely can relate to the food relation thing causing the Vert. to diminish, or accelerate.  Yes, gluten, high salt and sugar really cause havoc with the Vert. hitting full blast the next day, or in just a couple of hours. It is great to read that common experience in that regard. With Candida Albicanis, vertigo is one of the many symptom's one can have.  So, sugary stuff try to stay away from.  But, just some corn tortilla's with meat can set off the vert. too, as corn turns into sugar in the digestive process. Actually, I can recall 10 years ago experiencing the first Vert. attack while driving a car on the freeway.  Had just come from a dinner party and eaten some spicey, noodle salad (gluten).  Never had knowledge of benzo's at that time.  It was a miracle I could get off an off-ramp and park the car to wait it out.  Anyway, really appreciated reading your input on the food connection that is also one of my problem's during WD. Glad your doing much better with your good health!