Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Want to get off Klonopin? or other Benzo's?

[ks...]

I have had anxiety, GAD, panic attacks for 37 years...I am now fifty-five. I've taken Klonopin for past 8 years, .5mg-2mgs a day. I kept tapering down to .5mg but could never get any farther. Anxiety would come back and no sleep. Back up and my dose and try again. I've tried every drug they make for anxiety in the last 16 years....Most did not work or had to many side effects and none could get me off Klonopin......until 2 months ago...I've had same Dr for past 16 years although he has sent me to many others to try other stuff....He lets me have a lot of say in what I take or want to try. One day we were talking about withdrawing from this Klonopin and he said....you know O wonder if Librium would work. I use it to help withdraw alcoholics...I said lets give it a shot. He already had said he had 2 people on it for years for anxiety who were in the eighties now with no problems...I was down to .5 of Klonopin. He gave to 10mg caps of Librium. Start out 10mg a day for about a week then start cutting out the .5mg Klonopin over the next week or so. I did that and increased the dose of Librium 10mg in the morning and 20mg at night before bed. IT WORKED!!! I felt no withdrawl and after a weelk I dropped the Librium down to 20mg and then another week to just 10mg at night. I feel great. No side effects I can tell after 2 months and anxiety is low and I sleep 7-8 hours . Can't tell you take it. You think it is not working but it is....Feel very clear and not sedated....This is the only drug out of 20+ I would recommend....Give this to your doctor and give it a try...what you got to lose...Let me know how it worked for you...Give it a chance and take up to 40mg until you are over the Klonopin...then wean down to 10mg....you can decided to stay on that or get off...it is a low dose...I have seen O side effects...

Hi ksamiams,

It's great that you have an understanding doctor to work with you that seems to make things easier sometimes. I'm glad to see that Librium worked for you, are you symptom free now? Many members have used Librium to cross over to from a shorter acting benzos and had luck. We like to stay away from being prescriptive with recommendations though since everyone metabolizes this drug differently.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies and please let us know if you have any questions.

Star

So happy you found something that helped you.  It's amazing how some people can take one thing and find such relief and others experience negative effects.  However, it is always good to put it out there for people that have tried many meds. and can't seem cross effectively.  I hope your healing continues, you are one of the lucky ones!

• 1 year later...
LOL...Librium got me off Klonopin then fizzled out...I've been back on Klonopin .5mg 3x day for awhile. Now getting ready to try to wean off Klonopin using Trazodone 25-50mg night while weaning. Anyone tried this?