Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone really hungry? Is this rebound appetite? PMS?

[pa...]

I'm premenstrual and about 4 weeks post-jump.  I feel a lot hungrier than usual, but I've been on benzos so long that I can't tell if this is just normal appetite?  I have forgotten what my typical appetite feels like...which is sad - but during the past probably 6 months with tolerance withdrawal and then real withdrawal, I was barely eating, not interested in cookies even (which is part of how I knew I was messed up on the benzos - I had lost about 10 pounds over that time  - and not trying. Now - I feel hungry - and I can't tell if that is normal, another w/d symptom, or maybe just PMS.  Any ideas?

I hear you... when I first was put on benzos, I definitely gained weight because I could actually eat!  The post-partum anxiety had me so nauseated.  Then - when I got into tolerance with the klonopin, I began to lose my appetite, get depressed - eating was really difficult.  I remember that just a few bites of dinner was enough - and that cookies and my usual favorites were things I wasn't even interested in.  That made me more emotional, because I knew what a big deal it was going to be to get off the benzos - and the whole thing killed my appeite even more.  Once I crossed over to valium, I ate everything in sight! (I think it was more benzo than I actually needed.) But once I tapered down and and jumped - there went my appetite.  And now - about a month off - appetite is coming back. Geez - writing all that makes me realize just how much we go through! :D

Hi Parker, YES, unfortunately this is another evil benzo side effect.  I lost 10 pounds without trying also, and my appetite has been ravenous for the past month.  I try to keep a lot of low calorie snack foods around (Popsicles, air popped popcorn, fruit) so I have something to shove in my gullet when the mood strikes. It's like another force has taken over.  I threw away my scale but last I checked I had gained the 10 lbs back and 5 more thus far. Hoping it stops soon and my appetite gets back to normal!

LOL - Julie.  That just made me laugh.  "shove in my gullet" :)  Thanks for the good ideas- popcorn and popsicles are smart!  :thumbsup:

How are you doing overall this many months out?

Hi all. Maybe I can be helpful. I have bad nausea and heartburn. The only thing that helps is eating. I don't have pms because I have had menopause. So, it is not hormonal. Hope this helps.

Bear

LOL - Julie.  That just made me laugh.  "shove in my gullet" :)  Thanks for the good ideas- popcorn and popsicles are smart!  :thumbsup:

How are you doing overall this many months out?

Good! We can use a laugh around here right!!

Thanks for asking, Parker..I'm almost at 4 months, and am alternating windows and waves. Waiting for the "ulitmate window"!!!

I have been slammed with that as well....Just had to get some bigger size jeans....I had lost too much weight being sick last year....

The funny thing is that it is all cravings for junk food...Trying to do better...

Julie do you have a blog?....I have been following your progress log for awhile and have really wanted to respond.....Your comment about

wanting to eat your betta fish has me in stitches.....

Hoping for windows for all.....Smaller waistlines too...

Pam