Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi I stopped cold turkey, will I be okay?

[te...]

Hi my name is Quandra and I'm from Canada, I'm 37 yrs old and I have been hooked on every drug you can name at one time or another in my life.

Well mates, I have decided to go cold turkey from my wellbutrin 75 mg down from 150 xl mg 1x d/ .5mg ativan 2x  d then switched to 1x d 5mg valium. I have been on the Wellbutrin for 4 months to help in the quit of smoking and then the Doc gave me the ativan to help with the anxiety attacks from work and my unusual and complicated relationship. My Doc just changed me over to valium  5mg. I stopped the ativan 30 days ago and stopped the Valuim 4 days ago ct/and ct my wellbutrin 1 day ago. Other than some insomnia and this beating headache, I feel a little better today than yesterday. Will the wellbutrin ct bring my valium withdrawals back to full force? I'm moving to the U.S and my Canadian Doc will not write me any more prescriptions, he says the worst is over with.

I'm scared of seizures, I have to spend the next couple of weeks in Connecticut with my soon to be in-laws, I really want this to be over with or should I try to find another Doc to put me on something to taper off? 

Hi tee.dot.q,

In terms of the ativan that you stopped 30 days ago, I'd say you're out of the woods regarding seizures. I can't speak about the wellbutrin. I'm not as familiar with the medication as I am with the others you're taking.

In general it usually take 3 to 8 days to feel it once you've cut down on a drug or gone c/t.  We're all different. There are some that after only a short time on benzos, have terrible withdrawal symptoms and some who have been on it a long time that get off pretty easily. It's always advisable to do a slow taper from any benzo. Cold turkey can lead to some very uncomfortable symptoms.

If it were me, I'd go back on the valium and the wellbutrin then find a doctor when you get to the U.S. to help you taper off both. It's better to be safe than sorry especially since you're going to be traveling.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Hope

Thank you Hope... I only been off the valium for 4 days, at first I had severe headaches, severe muscle stiffness, terrible fatigue. Last night I couldn't sleep, the stiffness and fatigue has somewhat gotten better. I have lots of hot flashes and light sensitivity today after stopping the wellbutrin, not sure if they are related to that or the valium wd. I called my doc who says the most dangerous is the Ativan and that I am well out of the "24-48 hour threshold of seizure" he also said that is "physiological" wtf?!, I swear this is real!! he said he didn't prescribed enough of it long enough for me to have any physical wd  and almost accused me of seeking more for abuse! This is the first time in my life that I have ever taken a controlled drug as prescribed and this is how i'm treated. I guess it is Karma. I'm almost embarrassed to seek out another Doc for fear they may think the same of me. Any thing I can take to feel better?

I have to agree, you have not yet begun to really feel the full force of withdrawal.  Four days is nothing, it usually doesn't really kick in for at least a week or two and can continue to get worse for a while.  Especially since you have been taking Valium, which has long-lasting metabolites.

Since you have been on multiple meds it's hard to predict exactly how the course will go, but I've never encountered anyone who has been able to CT both a benzo and antidepressant at once without becoming quite ill over the following months.  

Doctors don't know much about this.  Clearly your doctor is one of the ones who is ignorant about psychiatric drug withdrawal and benzo withdrawal.

I agree that it would be best for you to reinstate Valiulm and Wellbutrin.  Then give your brain time to heal from the CT you have already done, and then when you are stable again, do a safe slow taper.  

At the very least, go back on the Valium now.  It will cushion the Ativan withdrawal and may help you avert disaster.  

For more advice regarding quitting your Wellbutrin you may want to visit an antidepressant withdrawal forum.  The one I go to most often is called Surviving Antidepressants.

Thanks prhiannon, but I have no choice but to ct my Doc is thinking that I am drug seeking "I SWEAR I'M NOT!"...so I can't get anymore scripts, he says I was prescribed a therapeutic dosage and all but said that I must have been abusing them and I HAVEN'T!   

How would you feel about making an appointment with you doctor and showing him a copy of The Ashton Manual? I hate to be so crude but he might prescribe you more just to cover his behind.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

The only other thing I can suggest is that you find another doctor or go to a walk in clinic. If you find yourself getting very ill, you might want to head to the emergency room.

How would you feel about making an appointment with you doctor and showing him a copy of The Ashton Manual? I hate to be so crude but he might prescribe you more just to cover his behind.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

The only other thing I can suggest is that you find another doctor or go to a walk in clinic. If you find yourself getting very ill, you might want to head to the emergency room.

Agree.  There must be doctors somewhere in your area who understand psych drug withdrawal.  And most emergency room doctors are familiar with acute benzo withdrawal and will give you at least a couple of days worth until you can find a supportive physician.

It's worth trying anyway.

And most doctors don't think of Wellbutrin as a drug that anyone would be 'drug seeking" because it has no recreational reputation, so at the very least perhaps your doctor, or some other doctor, would reinstate that for you.  Just tell them you're feeling very depressed and desperate and you don't think it's a good idea to be quitting your antidepressant right now.

Thanks hope, but I think it would be pointless with this guy he thinks (forgive me everyone) he's God almighty, he would never read a book brought in by a patient let alone one he thinks is a "drug abuser" to tell him how to prescribe medicine, the guy is a world class jerk he won't even listen to me, I have never abused his services. I'm just going to have to find another Doc and QUICK! I don't know what to do since you guys are telling me that this is only a teaser of what's yet to come.  

Thanks again guys, I think the ER is the way to go for now and let them refer me to the proper Doc. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I agree with prhiannon and Hope. I would print off the Ashton Manual and contact my doctor immediately. If your doctor doesn't want to deal with this, I would go to an urgent care walk-in or an emergency dept. of a hospital. As prhiannon has said the peak of your withdrawal may not hit till one to two weeks after you cold turkey. Let us know what happens, we'll be here to support you through this.

I agree with prhiannon and Hope. I would print off the Ashton Manual and contact my doctor immediately. If your doctor doesn't want to deal with this, I would go to an urgent care walk-in or an emergency dept. of a hospital. As prhiannon has said the peak of your withdrawal may not hit till one to two weeks after you cold turkey. Let us know what happens, we'll be here to support you through this.

Is it possible that the Doc could be right and my withdrawals have reached its peak? I know dumb question how would anyone know unless I try it out and see....sorry guys I'm not thinking to clearly/color]

Is it possible that the Doc could be right and my withdrawals have reached its peak? I know dumb question how would anyone know unless I try it out and see....sorry guys I'm not thinking to clearly/color]

It's not very likely. I tend to drone on about how everyone is different so who knows, but I'd say the odds are against you on this. I think it's better safe than sorry, don't you? When will you be traveling?

It's not very likely. I tend to drone on about how everyone is different so who knows, but I'd say the odds are against you on this. I think it's better safe than sorry, don't you? When will you be traveling?

Thanks Hope the Doc called in the Wellbutrin, but told me to suck it up on the Valiums so here as it stands no ativan, valium or anything in the benzo family. He said if I get suicidal or have a seizure I should seek immediate treatment at the ER. Oh yeah I'm traveling next friday not this coming friday.

Thanks Hope the Doc called in the Wellbutrin, but told me to suck it up on the Valiums so here as it stands no ativan, valium or anything in the benzo family. He said if I get suicidal or have a seizure I should seek immediate treatment at the ER. Oh yeah I'm traveling next friday not this coming friday.

That's not very helpful. You might want to consider trying finding another doctor. I know walk-in clinics don't give out benzos, never mind help one taper. I don't think you're doctor is being helpful and I would feel a lot better if you could reinstate the V.

I feel a little better today not as achy or fatiqued and my eyes don't hurt today, but I still feel a little uneasy on my feet (balance), foggy brained. The Doc did order some bp med (clonodine) to take 1 whole pill at night before bedtime and a half of pill after breakfast, it did allow me to sleep better last night. So far not to bad, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to fall :o :'(, I have been doing a LOT of PRAYING I mean a LOT! Praying that my withdrawals will be safe and short, actually I have been praying that the worst of it is over...I know prollay not realistic.... but I can pray can't I? I heard all things are possible through him...Everyone thanks for your support and listening whilst I endure this spiritual and physical endurance.     

Hi tee.dot.q,

I'm glad you are feeling somewhat better today and glad you are not traveling till next Friday. In my opinion, I wouldn't like a doctor to tell me to go to the ER after a seizure, I'd get a second opinion. If it were me, I'd make sure the people who are close to you know what's going on in case you need to go to the hospital. You may get through your withdrawal with little more symptoms that you are having now. Please let us know how you are doing.