Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Feeling despondent

[f6...]

[f6...]

How do you deal with the feeling like you're just never going to get out of this and that you've ruined your life?  I'm starting a new job next week, feeling anxious about it, and feeling anxious about trying to continue to taper.  All of this worry is doing me no good, so I'm wondering what others have done to combat that feeling of hopelessness that seems to accompany a taper.

iwillprevail

Sometimes it's all about pushing through the emotional hit we take with benzos. The emotions are raw and healing right now. We lose some of our ability to cope while on the drug so when it's withdrawn we need to relearn those skills like before we were on the drug. I think your new job should benefit you by the distraction and keeping you engaged in the world so you can keep those skills strong through this. Keep going, you're doing fantastic!

[f6...]
Thanks, Starbird.  I have to ask about your c/t detox in a medical facility from xanax -- how was that?  Has anyone else had any luck w/ detox from clonazepam?  I don't think I can rush the process, but I sure would like to be done with this drug once and for all.

I can understand wanting to get it over with, iwill. I'm also tapering from clonazepam. I'm currently at .5. I haven't done c/t but when I first started my taper I dropped my dose by 50%. That was a huge mistake. I was very ill. You're going to read this over and over again but ..slow and steady is the best, most comfortable way to do this.

C/t may not give you the results you want. It could take you just as long to heal from a c/t as it would if you were to taper slowly. The difference is, while tapering you'll probably still be able to function. With a c/t (even in a detox center) you could have a very difficult time.

There is the potential for protracted withdrawals when you c/t.

I'm sure others who have done a c/t will give you their views.

Good luck, iwill.

I know how you feel, I want nothing more than for this to be over yesterday.

I also made cuts that I now think were too steep in the beginning of my clonazepam taper.  I was cutting by .125mg and I was also very ill and wonder if I am still suffering because of that.  I now divide that amount by 4 (about 5% increments or 0.0312mg).  It's been more bearable.  

I also was interested in c/t detox and made some phone calls, but luckily there was nothing like this available in my area or I might have gone.  I think it would have been a huge mistake.  Since then I've seen so many here who were medically detoxed and they have suffered terribly.  A slow taper is really the best way to go.  

You will prevail I Will Prevail :)

Benzohno

[98...]

I am dealing with a cold turkey after 14 years of benzo use. It's been tough, but I've made it to my 48th day. I did it by setting short-term goals. Some days it would be just to get through until lunch, and then at lunch my goal would be to make it to dinner, then from dinner to bedtime.

Now I think I'm generally past the time when I set goals by the hours. Instead, I set them for a few days. For instance, today is my 48th day. My goal now is to make it to Day 50. (My longest prior c/t had been for 47 days, so you KNOW my goal this time was to get to 47 again, and now I'm one day past that goal!). Once I hit Day 50, my goal will be to make it to November 7, which will mark 2 months off benzos. From there, I'm sure I'll have another goal, but for now making it to 50 days, and then two the 2 month mark are just fine for me. They are realistic goals I can achieve.

Yes, ultimately my long-term goal is to make it a year. I'll do that by meeting many short-term goals and not worrying to far about the distant future. If I do it small steps, they'll add up in the end.

Best wishes,

Tucson

Me on Day 48 of my final c/t:  8)