Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

new to this board

[sa...]

Hi All,

I am new to this board and looking for any insight or help.  In september 2010 I started tapering from 1.5 mg xanax daily.  Prior to my starting the taper I had been taking approx 1.5 mg daily for about a year. 

I take no other meds.

I am currently down to about .25 mg - .375 mg. per day

I have been simply breaking up the .25 mg xanax pills I have been prescribed.  I typically take .125 around 10 am and .125 around 3 or 4 pm.  I try to keep it at just that but sometimes I need more which pushes me to .375. 

I seem to have hit a wall.  Previously my taper was going ok.  However now I have tremendous life stress etc which makes the taper very hard.

I have read about water titration but that is not an option for me.

I am going to be seeing my dr soon and am considering asking him to  switch me to a longer asking benzo but I am afraid if trying/adding something else.

I tried remeron about 3 mos ago......... took it once and it made me so dizzy I stopped.

Generally I do not want to take any meds but know I may need to switch to something else to get off xanax.

Thanks for any input.

Hello sanchopanchez, welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Congratulations on making it down to between .25 and .375 mg of xanax by direct tapering.  You have done a great job tapering one of the more difficult benzos to direct taper from. 

It is not uncommon for members to have relatively tolerable tapers only to hit walls at certain points.  If your doctor agrees to switch you to Valium (and you decide you are willing to do so) we will help you figure out a taper plan.  If your doctor doesn't want you to go on Valium (or you decide not to) we will support you through your efforts to direct taper off of Xanax.  I know that many doctors in the US are hesitant to prescribe Valium, but he may be willing to switch you to klonopin which has a longer half-life than Xanax.

I know this is tough, but many others have been down this road too and are now living out their lives.  Please let us know how the doctor visit goes.  In the mean time there are a lot of boards on this forum that may be of help to you.

Crono

Hi sanchopanchez,

I have been taking Xanax too and hit a wall when I got to a low dose. Xanax is a high-potency short-acting benzo, and can be difficult to taper from directly. Have you heard of the Ashton Manual? Many people cross to Valium when tapering Xanax, as low-potency and a long-acting benzo. Here's the link to the Ashton Manual:

www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Dr. Ashton explains how benzos work and how to taper off of them safely and tolerably. We're here to support you in your taper and can answer questions you may have. Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Hello Sanchopanchez and welcome to BB. Sorry to hear you have hit a rough spot in your taper, I know it isn't easy. You have come so far and I have no doubt you will finish your goal of becoming benzo free. I tapered off of Ativan which is another short acting benzo by using titration. I know you are not interested in titration so maybe check with your Dr to see if he/she would agree to switch you over to a longer acting benzo to taper from. How are you feeling today?

Thanks for all the support.  I really do appreciate it.

For feedback on tapering from a longer acting benzo should I post here or go to the taper plans section?

Feeling OK today.  was at .375 sat and sunday but only .25 fri.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the support.  I really do appreciate it.

For feedback on tapering from a longer acting benzo should I post here or go to the taper plans section?

Feeling OK today.  was at .375 sat and sunday but only .25 fri.

Thanks!

Hi sanchopanchez,

We have a substitution taper section where you will be able to get a lot of feedback. Glad you're feeling okay today. :thumbsup:

Here's the link:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=unread;board=61.0