Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New member looking for support

[bi...]

I started taking ambien (10 mg) 5 years ago and still do for sleep.

4 years ago the ambien stopped working and Kolonipin was added. I started taking kolonipin (0.25mg)

I took the kolonipin until June when I was forced to go cold-turkey because my job urine tested me and found the metabolites and said stop the benzos or lose the job.

I have been going through hell ever since.

I have recently started remeron to help get some sleep. It helps but the anxiety and other symptoms are overwhelming. I don't think the kolonipin withdrawal is causing all the symptoms. It was such a small dose.

I think my problem is I have reached the tolerance level of the ambien.

Does this all sound familiar?

I cannot use another benzo to taper. I am forced to go cold-turkey.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place.

I must stop the ambien.

I took the kolonipin until June when I was forced to go cold-turkey because my job urine tested me and found the metabolites and said stop the benzos or lose the job.

I have been going through hell ever since.

I have recently started remeron to help get some sleep. It helps but the anxiety and other symptoms are overwhelming. I don't think the kolonipin withdrawal is causing all the symptoms. It was such a small dose.

I think my problem is I have reached the tolerance level of the ambien.

Does this all sound familiar?

I cannot use another benzo to taper. I am forced to go cold-turkey.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place.

I must stop the ambien.

Hi Wolf,

Welcome to BB.

I don't quite know what to say here. To begin with, I thought that the routine drug screening used by workplaces only picks up illegal drugs. I'm kind of surprised.

Secondly, I don't see how they could command you to stop taking a prescription drug. In fact, I believe you could sue them for this. Do you work operating a forklift or other heavy machinery that would require you to be especially alert? I guess someone like a pilot could be subject to these regulations as well.

To your second question - you have many classic sxs of withdrawal. And yes, absolutely yes, 0.25mg is a big enough dose to give severe sxs if discontinued abruptly. When exactly did you stop the K?

It's possible to reach tolerance with Ambien in that the same dose may not help you sleep anymore. Whether or not Ambien tolerance causes withdrawal symptoms...I'm not sure. Someone else will have to weigh in on this. Honestly, it seems more likely that your problems are from discontinuing the K. Otherwise when the Ambien stopped working and you first added the K, you would have been sick even then. Furthermore I happen to know that even 0.125mg K is hard to discontinue (case in point -> self)

If you're absolutely sure you can't reinstate the K, then the only thing to do is wait it out. Hopefully you will feel better in a few weeks and then you can taper off the Ambien. You should give yourself some time before making any

changes to your medications. One drug at a time is usually a good motto.

-P-

Hello biggerbadderwolf, welcome to BenzoBuddies.

.25 mgs of Klonopin seems like such a small amount but it is fairly potent.  It is equivalent to 5 mgs of Valium. Many people still have problems jumping off from .5 mgs of V.  The dosage alone is probably not the only factor in the difficulty.  You were on this medication for 4 years, when it is generally recommended for short term use of a couple weeks.

I am pretty sure that ambien is causing you further stress.  When people quit benzos, it is generally recommended that they abstain from anything that acts up the GABA receptors, like alcohol or z-drugs (ambien).  You may want to confide in your doctor about coming off of Ambien.  Unlike with benzos, a quick taper may be the way to go.  There most certainly will be rebound insomnia for awhile but you may experience some relief with your anxiety and other symptoms.

We had a few members who quit ambien cold turkey and suffered worsening of symptoms for a few days or weeks but then felt quite a bit of relief.  I don't know if that will be the case for you, but it never hurts to play it safe by tapering.

Crono

Welcome to BB,

Wow. I can't believe your employers can do this to you! Benzos are so poorly misunderstood.  Going cold turkey would be hard enough on a volunteer basis, but on a forced basis - just wrong.  Anyway, I will let the moderators advise you on the w/d, but as for the Ambien I wanted to just mention that I was on it for a year - in combination with my benzo. I had experienced some terrible side effects from the Ambien and didn't realize it was causing it. Anyway when I figured it out, I just stopped one day. I thought I would have some terrible symptoms. But really, the only thing I experienced was trouble sleeping for about 6 or 8 weeks. So for me it was fairly easy. So glad to be off of them.  The benzo I'm on has been much more difficult but educating yourself will be a major key. Good luck.

amb

I just remembered that Pamster had a similar experience where Ambien was causing problems for her. Thanks for jogging my memory, amb56.