Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Feel like I have Alzheimers

[fa...]

I'm feeling really down today. Cognitive problems are really getting to me - have difficulty doing simple tasks like making my kids' lunches, making dinner, cleaning the house. Sometimes, it even seems difficult to drive if someone else is in the car with me. I'm almost afraid that I have early-onset Alzheimers. Any advice?

I started taking Zoloft (have taken it before) a few weeks ago because depression had gotten so bad.  Also recently took steroids for an ear infection and realized the doctor did not taper the dose of prednisone, just abruptly stopped it.

faithcc,

I know what you mean, seems some doctors can be completely clueless about many of the medications they write prescriptions for.  When I had an Adrenal Crisis and was put on oral Hydrocortisone the Internist who prescribed it told me to just stop taking it.  Luckily I had an appointment with an Endocrinologist shortly there after who told me that was wrong and tapered me off.  Turns out I would have ended up in the hospital again with another Adrenal Crisis if I would have followed the Internists advice.

The fact that you are feeling Alzheimerish is normal for w/d.  I had it way worse in the beginning, it has improved a lot as I get farther along.  This one eventually goes away so don't get too overly worried about that.  It is difficult to get through a day I know.  I have often said that I feel like a retarded 3 year old in an 80 year old body :laugh:!!!  It does get better so hang in there!

[a8...]

My mom has advanced Alzheimer's and, believe me, as messed up as I am right now it is nothing compared to what she is going through. She has no sense of self, no memories, nothing. Enduring this c/t is really tough but I would rather be doing this than have no memory of my past, no awareness of how things going on around me connect with reality, etc.

I saw her (she lives in a nursing home near her my brother and her family in her home state of Tennessee) in July and she just had no clue who I was, even though I am her first-born. She was down to about 70 pounds and really just scared and confused. Honestly, when I said goodbye I pretty much knew that my visit was almost certainly the last time I'll see her alive. I just hope she doesn't pass away until a few more months have gone by so I will be able to cope with traveling to Tennessee and dealing with her funeral, family, etc.

This whole w/d and recovery process is horrible, but nothing compared to Alzheimer's.

Tucson

Me on Day 45 of a c/t: :-[

[77...]

Well,

Alzheimer's-

"Alzheimer" redirects here. For other uses, see Alzheimer (disambiguation).

Alzheimer's disease

Classification and external resources

Comparison of a normal aged brain (left) and the brain of a person with Alzheimer's (right). Differential characteristics are pointed out.

ICD-10 G30., F00.

ICD-9 331.0, 290.1

OMIM 104300

DiseasesDB 490

MedlinePlus 000760

eMedicine neuro/13

MeSH D000544

GeneReviews [1]

Alzheimer's disease (AD), also called Alzheimer disease, senile dementia of the Alzheimer type, primary degenerative dementia of the Alzheimer's type, simply Alzheimer's (as a stand-alone attributive adjective noun), and folk-etymological names such as "old-timers' disease", is the most common form of dementia. There is no cure for the disease, which becomes worse as it progresses, and eventually leads to death. It was first described by German psychiatrist and neuropathologist Alois Alzheimer in 1906 and was named after him.[1] Most often, it is diagnosed in people over 65 years of age,[2] although the less-prevalent early-onset Alzheimer's can occur much earlier. In 2006, there were 26.6 million sufferers worldwide. Alzheimer's is predicted to affect 1 in 85 people globally by 2050.[3]

So on, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease