Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Good Doctors ( GPs )

[Ti...]

I just thought I would mention my visit to my Doctor on Monday. My appointment was nothing to do with Benzos'.

However, when she finished giving me all my hospital results she asked how my withdrawal from Diazapam was going. I just happened to have my Benzo' Diary with me so I told her to read my notes for September and October.

She was really shocked and said she had no idea it was this bad. Then she asked about the cutting up of the tablets, the fact that I was cutting the white 2mg valium into 8 pieces with a razor, she could hardly believe it.

I told her about all the Doctor/ Patient problems I have come across online from the help and support groups. I told her she was in a minority and that her support was greatly appreciated by me.

She said she has never met anyone so knowledgeable on the subject, and she did not know of any Doctor in the area who understood this terrible addiction. I explained that I had been on different b'drugs for nearly 30 years, and that I had also read up extensively on the subject from a wide range of sources.

I mentioned antidpressants, particularly the recent ones which people are finding as difficult to get off as Benzos', she agreed.

I feel so lucky I have such a caring Doctor, and I told her so. :angel:

Tiggy

You're very fortunate Tiggy, thank you for posting your positive experience.  Sometimes we need to keep in mind that Dr's are people too, and a product of their experience, so we can do a great deal to shape how they perceive our situation.  While we may not be able change what happened to us, we might be able to help the next person who comes along by helping our Dr's to understand what we go through.

Hi Tiggy,

:)  :'(  This makes me happy/sad.  I am so glad that you have a doc like that.  I think I may have found one too ... we'll see what happens at the follow-up visit next week.  He said he doesn't know of anyone who has gone off the benzo's and gave me a ton of credit for doing so.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It gives me hope that I'll be able to mend the trust issue I have as a result of all the denial I have faced.

Hey there Whoopsie,

I really hope you do, you must let me know. It makes a massive difference, we all have enough to cope with just getting off the Benzos', so with a poor Doc, it is like having two mega battles at the same time.My Doc more or less asks me what I want ( We kind of switch roles for a few minutes ), when I saw her, I also said she could lower my prescription by another 28 x 2mg tablets, so she can update her patient notes. She can then see that my taper is progressing.

There was a hint about the future that gave me food for thought, it was about a possible help line for our area. I said I couldn't do that until I was off the drug and able to drive again. ( Nothing complicated, just getting a few people to talk about their Benzo problems with each other. I know that anyone without access to a computer and the Internet, tend to miss the help and support such as Benzo Buddies.

Hope you get your good Doc, fingers crossed.

Tiggy

Hi Tiggy,

I will let you know ... I go back next week.  That is really cool that a helpline was discussed and no you would not be able to do that right now but what a nice possibility for the future.  I wish you the absolute best with your continuing taper.  :)