Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Decisions hard to make: Anyone else have this? How do you manage?

[ha...]

Just as an example, I have started this thread in 4 different places - and finally ended up here.  :idiot:

I am doing well, in some respects - in fact just realized that I am at 1/3 of the dose of k I have been on for over 15 years. NEVER been on this low dosage since I was first given it. Hardly sx free, but I am actually tapering.  :yippee:

Some things I can manage well, but I seem to have a really hard time with small decisions: e.g. should I walk the dog now? an hour from now? not today? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with other sxs like fatigue or pain; it just happens. Once I am doing something, I can stay with it for a reasonable amount of time, reasonable for current state of sxs. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? Any strategies to share? Or just go with it and know it will go away eventually.

Hanna

I can't give you any advice as I am still tapering and haven't got through the s/x you describe. I have exactly the same problem so the default decision is very often do nothing. I also have the problem whereby any and everything tends to overwhelm me. It is so maddening because before all this I would take on the world

Anyway good luck and I hope this passes for us both

Blower

Hi Blower,

Sorry that you are having the same difficulty.  :-\ 

I understand about "before all this" it would have been easy. I am the same way. I didn't even realize this was happening until a few weeks ago. I know the default about not doing anything. I am able to get things done, but it seems to take a lot of time to get to the doing stage. I try to just give up on making the decision, stand up and just go - if I can.

You take care. I hope this goes away for you, too. Hopefully, we can get some suggestions on how to deal with it. I am sorry you are going through this, too.

I know the feeling. I will sometimes sit here for a couple of hours trying to decide where to grab a bite to eat, weighing out the merits of each choice.

Ridiculous, huh?

oh yeah.  Its driving my husband nuts, asking his opinion all the time. Before, I would be quick to offer my decision, and argue why its best:) Now I cannot seem to get out of my own way.  I cannot remember either, and simple tasks throw me for a loop. What I do: lists and more lists, postit notes and coin tosses. Yep, just do something, if its wrong..well, most decisions are not really life altering. I lay out my clothes for work the night before, and set out everything I will need, as evenings are better for me. I carry a calendar and write anything and everything down on it, and when I feel overwhelmed I list out a to do list for the day, even the week ahead. If i am in the middle of a freak out, I do not sit and stew in it.  I get up and "do the next thing", theres always something that needs to be done. At 2 months out, I am pretty cognitively impaired, but getting by, and what I screw up is hardly noticed by anyone other than me. Good luck- we are on the road regardless. Susan

I totally have this. It feels like a massive amount of inertia. Also, when a decision I have made or something I am expecting to happen changes suddenly I basically freak out inside.

To-do lists help me too, and making those lists really detailed, like the smallest steps, and just checking them off, helps me get things done. There are some days when it just feels like nothing gets done and I am not confident in any decision and you know, i think that it is important to realize that is *ok* because w/d and benzo tapering is a temporary situation. I know that is so hard to remember on the bad days but this just might be another one of those things that is part of this process and it will will WILL get better and you will feel able to make decisions again.

I listen to this meditation and one of the things it says is "every positive quality you have had in the past is still inside you now" and that is a real comfort to me when I wonder where things like my confidence and decision making abilities are, or they are hard to access.

Hi Hanna,

Indecision, to me, is another face of anxiety.  I may get nothing done in a day, but in my head I worked two full-time jobs worrying about what I would do, and what should I do, and why aren't I in the right place.  argh! 

I'm with gardendreams with the lists and the meditation.  Sometimes I use movement, touch toes, wave arms like jumping jacks, twist, and being outside in the woods can be great.

Anxiety is just (just! ;) ) temporarily worsened by our GABA receptors being down-regulated. So we're dealing with trying to relax on purpose, instead of it just happening naturally, if that makes sense.  Anything that helps with relaxing with probably help with everything else.  This is my hope - and it's working for me so far.

healthy

Thanks so much FloridaGuy, northofhere, gardendreams, and healthy!! I think the perspective of it being part of anxiety makes a lot of sense to me. It often happens after that early morning wake up anxiety. So if I can think of it as a face of anxiety rather than a sign of craziness, it helps. I will try the lists - maybe if I make a list the night before about planning at least the first couple of things for the morning, it will then mean I don't have to make the decision first thing in the morning. Will try some of your ideas. Thank you!!!!!

Making decisions has been difficult for me since this whole thing started nearly 2 years ago. For me, the most important thing is just to make a decision and do whatever is necessary to carry it out - no matter what it is or how small it is. The key for me is to “do something” rather than make the decision to do nothing. Somehow it gives me a sense of accomplishment and a small victory. If I do nothing, I feel defeated.

eli

Thanks healthy. Hope it works for both of us - never any guarantees (and I am trying not to beat myself up if something doesn't work), but worth a try. My plan for first thing after breakfast is to walk my dog, Brodie! He will be happy if I make a decision like that, too.

Couldn't agree more, eli, about making some decision. That just hit me - how defeating it was to sit over breakfast with a "what should I do?" feeling.

Small decisions. Good decision to ask this question about decisions.  :)