Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone tapering benzo while on seroquel

[Go...]

Hi Grace,

My former pdoc c/t'd me from Seroquel, Lunesta, Adderral, and Lithium, in addition to cutting my Pristiq (Effexor's Big Bad Brother) in half and Klonopin from 2 mg. to 1 mg.  This was all done in one day.  :sick:  I was on high doses of all drugs (and for no good reason).  

I got very, very, very ill with the abrupt discontinuance of so many meds and the extremely rapid taper of the Pristiq and Klonopin.

Although I am very grateful to not only be alive, but to be myself again, I would never recommend that one taper off of more than 1 medication at a time, starting with the benzo.

Benzo first, Z drug second, then Seroquel, then the SNRI/SSRI.  That's how I would do it if I had to all over again.  But, this is merely circumspect.  I am just glad to have the opportunity to have my life back!

:) Hugs, Laurie

Laurie, and I thought that I have been through a lot. Bless your heart. You are an amazing woman and

Im sooooo glad to have you as a Buddie! I'm here for you, we can be there for each other! You are a warrior...amazing.  :)

Hi Grace,

Thank you.  I guess I do qualify as a warrior, but then I think all persons who are withdrawing from benzos and other psych drugs are warriors!  It's amazingly hard work!  But oh, sooooo worth it!  I'm glad to have you as a Buddie, too.  This forum is just filled with so many amazing people like yourself.  I consider myself very fortunate to have found this site!  :) Hugs, Laurie

Msg in subject

Godgrace I did that one time and please be very careful a detox facility weaned me off one time too fast and i got really sick.. Please take it slow and try to wean off one at a time... Oh one more thing never ever break the serequel in have i goes thru your blood stream faster and makes you sicker... doctors do not know this but it is toxic to the body.. take care and good luck

Luv mishi

If you are considering breaking the pills in pieces taper off, as I did, you might want to check with your pharmacist.  Mine said it was okay to do and I had no problem as mishi did.

Seroquel comes in immediate release which can be cut without problem or it comes in a time-release formulation (Seroquel XL).  

The PI sheet for Seroquel XL specifically warns against cutting tablets.  Too much drug is released into the bloodstream when a time-release tablet is cut.

If one is on the immediate release formulation (Seroquel) than it is fine to cut the tablet.  

It is my obligation and responsibility to mention that one should follow their physician's instructions.  On the other hand, my former pdoc told me it was perfectly fine to cut Pristiq (time-release) in half.  Bad experience!!  Like Mishi, I experienced a very untoward reaction. :sick:

:) All the Best,

Laurie