Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I made it! (actually I've just begun)

[Ke...]

I've been taking Klonipin for over 6 yrs. Recently I realized how terrible my memory has gotten, including blackouts from drinking even small amounts of alcohol. . About 3 yrs ago I quit going to my psychiatrist who was prescribing up to 5/day. With the help of my PCP I cut down to 2 a day. Then I started taking just half of .5 in the a.m. and the either a half or a whole at lunch or after work. About two weeks ago I cut out the p.m. dose. This past Friday (today is Sunday) I stopped taking the a.m. dose. My withdrawl is hard, but I want to do this, I need to do this. If I ever want to get pregant I will have to be free and besides, who wants to be chained to a pill for the rest of their life? I hate this pill and what it's done to my body, I just want to feel "normal" and I'm hoping to gain support to get through the withdrawl.

Hello KeepingSane, Welcome!

It sounds like you're benzo free, this is terrific!  I'm glad to hear you've been working with your Dr, it's good he's supported your decision.  You'll feel normal again, and your memory will return, but it may take a little while.  Please ask questions if you have them, we're here to help.

Pam

Hi KeepingSane,

You sound very determined to quit taking the Klonopin. I want to make sure I have this right. You have quit taking .5mg-1mg two weeks ago and then quit taking .5mg on Friday? Even though .5mg seems like not very much to stop abruptly, it can cause some difficult withdrawal symptoms. If it were me, and it gets too difficult, I would try to taper the .5mg more gradually. However, you may be able to just be done with it without it being too rough.

It's really important to listen to your body when tapering a benzo. That's great that your PCP is working with you and has helped with you're tapering down.

We're here to help you with your withdrawal symptoms, feel free to ask questions.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies :)

Hi KeepingSane.  welcome to BB's.  I know you will find the support and encouragement you need to get through this.  Good luck on your journey.

Popcornlady