Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Exercise one day

[WT...]

I used to go on long strenuous hikes before benzos, will I be able to do this again one day?  Will my CNS eventually heal to full capacity?  Even if it's in a couple years from now?  I know right now I'm sensitive to exercise, but I just hope one day that will go away.

[05...]

Tucson is surrounded by towering mountains, and years ago before benzos I used to love to hike far into the wilderness. The views from the mountains were stunning, and I enjoyed the challenge of carrying enough water (very important in the desert), food, a tent and sleeping bag, etc., so I could pitch a small camp and watch the city lights from 5,000 to 7,000 feet above.

Now, I am happy if I am able to go out and walk in the morning around about six or seven neighborhood blocks. I drove my "usual route" and it's just 1.25 miles. I used to think nothing of a strenuous hike into the mountains of 8, 9, 10 miles -- uphill, with a backpack on my back. Now, I think if someone put a backpack on me I'd probably collapse before I got past the next-door neighbor's house!

So, I settle for my little 1.25 mile walks, which even then I can only pull off 2-4 times a week. Other days, I just look out the window and the world seems to weird that I just go "no way." I'm only on Day 38 of a c/t, so I know not to expect miracles. But I've read enough about how people slowly recover and gain their lives back to know that some day my little loop around the neighborhood will be doubled to 2.5 miles, and then as I get better I will leave the safety and security of my little neighborhood and venture out into "the world."

There is that old Chinese saying that "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Well, a thousand miles is a long, long way. But each day I try to take ONE step, and be content with that, and slowly over time I will get stronger and stronger and I can take more steps each day, and some day, many months from now, that journey I embarked on will be finished.

Accept that you have limits right now and praise yourself for what you can do. The rest WILL come in time. I promise you...

Tucson

Me on Day 38 of a resumed c/t:  8)

Wow, I wonder if they can merge these threads. I just created one almost about this exact subject.

Glad to hear more people weighing in, and it's encouraging that so many people are trying to get out and get active, despite

the shape our bodies may be in. 

You can read my story on the other thread, but in short... I'm walking briskly every night a mile or two, and doing light weights.

Tried to mix in jogging again, but may have induced a wave. Not sure if it was that, but I think my body is telling me I need more time, as well.

It feels like an eternity, but I guess 5 months isn't that long to be off.

For the first 7 months of my w/d I could physically do nothing more than pace back and forth between two rooms. It was really disheartening to me because I have always been very active and into exercise - especially weight training and aerobic exercises. In the 7th month, I forced myself to go outside and do some yard work. As time passed, I was doing more and more yard work. About month 9 or 10, I started doing some fairly light exercise on the elliptical and Total Gym. As time progressed, I did more and more whether or not it revved me up. I have reached a point here in my 15th month where I am doing MORE than I could do before benzo w/d. Muscle mass and tone have returned, and I believe that I am probably in better shape than I have been in years. Part of that is because I am no longer drinking or taking benzos. They were both destroying me. I still struggle with the mental s/x, but they have clearly improved as well. My hope and expectation is that I will eventually be mentally stronger than I have ever been.         

I’m sure you will be able to physically do all that you once did again - and maybe even more. You were a short term user. I took K for years and drank on top of it. You are healing and will be out there hiking again before too long.

eli

I used to be super active...I went skiing all winter, did 10. Mile hikes w/a 70 lb pack up in the rockies, rollerblaeded 7 miles a day, etc. Now I have to force myself to do 20 minutes at the gym. IIm hoping to get back in shape and back to the old me before benzos stole that! I know in time it will happen. That's part of what keeps me pushing forward!