Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Valium dosing question

[Mi...]

If I'm on 2.5 mgs Ativan.. .5 every five hours, would my dose for the Valium be .5? My doc has me crossing over at 10mgs with the Valium. I do to do this to fast or abruptly. I heard that crossing over to the V can be great if the V's is accurate to the A..

Thanks,

MK

We tend to go by Prof Asthon's equivalencies since she used the crossing to Valium protocol with her patients.  She says 1mg Ativan = 10mg Valium, so 2.5mg would equal 25mg.  Some people actually need less but most start out at the full crossover dose to start with to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

Valium does seem to have more of a sedating effect but I am concerned that you are being crossed over to way too little Valium.  Of course, you are welcome to try it at the 10mg level, but it isn't advisable in my opinion.  If you can get your doctor to prescribe the equivalency we use (25mg), you could replace on .5mg Ativan dose with 5mg Valium every 2 weeks or so until you are nothing but the 25mg Valium.  If, after a few weeks on that amount, you are feeling way too sedated, you could try a more rapid decrease in the Valium than the usual 10% until you get more comfortable.  Valium takes a while to build up in your system so it could take weeks before you know, unfortunately.  If you are only able to cross over to 10mg V. total, you would replace .5mg Ativan with 1/5 of 10mg (2 mg) every weeks or so until you are on just 10mg Valium.  Hope this makes sense.

I'm sorry but doesn't make sense:( he eventually wants me on 30 mgs of V. I'm confused. Some say it may be too much V or j might want to cut it back to the .5. I really hate that I'm even having to deal with this. I understand that 1mg of Ativan is equal to 10mg of V. Ok, so I take 2.5 A.. So that would equal 25 mg of V? So you do think the 10 will cover me while getting off the A? I am also hypothyroid and no thyroid actually. Maybe he's be cautious? I have no clue!!!!!!! I'm about ready to just taper and swing with the punches:(

Hi Michelle,

I understand your frustration. I think you're right, maybe your doctor is being cautious and conservative because of your thyroid condition. If it were me I would follow his instructions and keep him updated on how it's going. Perhaps he's wanting you to make slow changes, so he can hear what you have to say about your symptoms. We all are a little different with this and listening to what are body is telling us is important in this. Have you called your doctor to tell him your concerns about maybe not having the right amount of Valium for a cross-over?

Hi Michelle, I posted on your other thread about this.

If you follow the link I posted to Ashton's withdrawal schedules you might want to print that out and show it to your doctor (especially Schedule 8) and see if he can answer your questions. 

I think it's great that he's doing an Ashton type crossover and taper, so many doctors are clueless about that, sounds like you have a good one!

Yes, 2.5 mg lorazepam would generally be replaced by a total of 25 mg of Valium eventually.  I would recommend crossing over by using 5 mg of Valium to replace 0.5 mg of Ativan at a time rather than going straight to 10 mg.  Just a gentler transition which is good since you are responsible for your kids and can't afford to be nonfunctional in that role.