Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

xanax tapering - New to this forum

[wi...]

Hello

I am in the midst of tapering xanax. I am substituting w/ valium. This is my first week and am  concerned (after reading) that I am not doing it correctly. Dr. pretty much left it to me to figure out.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi wishful1,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! I am tapering Xanax too and am just beginning a cross-over to diazepam (Valium). How are you feeling and what have your concerns been?

We can help support you through your withdrawal. We have taper sections where members discuss their experiences with tapering and/or crossing to another benzo. The important thing is to listen to your body, go at a rate that is tolerable for you and consult your doctor if you have concerns.

What mg of Xanax are you at and have you started to taper yet?

Hi Nicolette,

Been at 1.0 mg for 2 years, Prior to that .5 mg for 2 years

Oct. 6 - Started Taper

Dropped down to .5mg xanax

Added 2.5 mg Valium in eve

So that's 5 days. I am concerned that I am doing this too fast and incorrectly. I am feeling very lethargic and little energy. My biggest concern is what I have recently read regarding after stopping..that w'd's can go on for a long time expecially if the taper isn't correct.

Thanks for texting back  :)

Hi Wishful1 and welcoming you to BB! I am sorry to hear you feel lethargic and have little energy. I know it is not easy. I have heard Valium can be more sedating at first until your system gets used to it. If you post on the taper forums we can help you put together a taper plan to take to your Dr. Let us know if you have any other questions.