Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Do you think my Psychiatrist is correct about my Withdrawal?

[cn...]

Sorry to blow up a new topic here...

But after having that terrible mind blowing panic attack last night, It really got me thinking a lot today about if the 15mg Remeron the psychiatrist put me on is really helping the w/d of ativan.

I mean, it must be helping some, b/c so far I've been taking big cuts like .25mg every week, and it has been very managable. No panic, no anxiety, no insomnia, no loss of appetite etc. Well, except for lastnights panic attack.

My psychiatrist said, the Remeron is helping my brain HEAL by helping it produce certain chemicals which help create MORE NATURAL GABA INTAKE, while the FAKE GABA (ATIVAN) is being withdrawn. So therefor it's supposed to help the W/D. He said it won't take every w/d symptom away, but he think I'd be off a lot worse if it wasnt for the Remeron.

Is he correct? I guess I shouldn't question him. B/c he's been so good to me, and is helping me get off this junk. =) And I personally don't think 5 months on Remeron is going to hurt me. I've only been on it for about a month. So only 4 more months and I'm gonna try and get off of that.

2 MORE DAYS TIL BENZO FREEDOM!

Heres what my psychiatrist said...

Mirtazapine works in the brain, where it enhances the effect of naturally occurring chemicals called neurotransmitters. These are chemical compounds that act as chemical messengers between nerve cells.

He said that that GABA is one of those neurotransmitters that the Remeron helps produce more naturally.

Just know that Remeron will need to be tapered off slowly also.

They don't know how AD's work, they always say something like "it is thought to" or "it may"...pharmaceuticals and doctors don't really know how these drugs work.

It is probably helping ease w/d sxs so I wouldn't stop it, but WHY it is helping, Well I doubt it's because it is "healing" your GABA receptor...only time can do that.

Remeron w/d is what led some to benzos in the first place, so be careful when you decide to discontinue it. The rebound insomnia and anxiety is a real nightmare I hear.

Hi cnotr,

How are you doing today?  Feeling better?  I hope so!

It's quite possible that you will receive many different responses to your question concerning whether or not your psychiatrist's explanation of how mirtapazine (Remeron) works.  I think the main thing is that you like your psychiatrist, he is helping you get off of Ativan by supporting you and caring about you.  

The bottom line is that if you feel that Remeron is helping you with your symptoms and you are pleased, then I am happy for you!  

The goal is for you to have tolerable withdrawals from benzos if at all possible, and it seems like you are meeting that goal.  I am so happy for you!

:) All the Best,

Laurie

Hi cnotr,

I am very sorry to hear about your terrible experience last night with the panic attack.  

My take on the Remeron, based on my own experience of having been on Zoloft, is that perhaps the AD helps MASK some the benzo w/d symptoms.  As I tapered off Zoloft over 2.5 years, finished in March 2011, my (what I now believe to be) interdose withdrawal or tolerance w/d symptoms from benzos really came to forefront. It was then that I began to realize the benzos were a problem.  But if the Remeron helps ease the benzo w/d then that would be a good thing.

All the best.   :)

Laurie, thanks for your concern. Yes I'm fine today. A little anxious today, b/c of last night. But I'm fine.

I think you are right... I need to "not care" about HOW the Remeron is making me feel better... but the FACT that is IS helping me feel better.

And you are probably right, it is MASKING/SUPPRESSING withdrawal symptoms vs healing GABA. I didnt mean to say it was healing the gaba receptors. But I'm pretty sure he said it helped produce more serotonin and other neurotransmitters to work better etc. etc. in return it helps produce more gaba receptors, or the flow of them?

I can't be scared about coming off the Remeron. It does me no good.

And I understand that you say a lot of people were put on benzos to help with Remeron withdrawal... but im doing the opposite. So what's the difference?

Sunny71, You say you've heard its a real nightmare to come off of. I've heard the complete opposite.

But I'm sure what we read on the internet is more "horror" stories VS success stories... b/c people take more time to complain vs talk about success stories, IMOP.

Cnotr how your A/D affects you is not necessarily how it will affect someone else. For instance I am on Effexor which has terrible press but I find helps me a lot.  I was on it for 8 years prior to benzos and stopped a year before the benzo saga.  I had stopped it more or less c/t as I didn't think I needed it with no repercussions.  I have read many describe it as the 'devil drug', the worst drug to come off etc etc but I had no problems.

So if it is helping then don't worry about it and follow your psychiatrist's advice.

Hope this helps.

Angel

Laurie, thanks for your concern. Yes I'm fine today. A little anxious today, b/c of last night. But I'm fine.

I think you are right... I need to "not care" about HOW the Remeron is making me feel better... but the FACT that is IS helping me feel better.

And you are probably right, it is MASKING/SUPPRESSING withdrawal symptoms vs healing GABA. I didnt mean to say it was healing the gaba receptors. But I'm pretty sure he said it helped produce more serotonin and other neurotransmitters to work better etc. etc. in return it helps produce more gaba receptors, or the flow of them?

I can't be scared about coming off the Remeron. It does me no good.

And I understand that you say a lot of people were put on benzos to help with Remeron withdrawal... but im doing the opposite. So what's the difference?

Sunny71, You say you've heard its a real nightmare to come off of. I've heard the complete opposite.

But I'm sure what we read on the internet is more "horror" stories VS success stories... b/c people take more time to complain vs talk about success stories, IMOP.

Not quite sure how that happened..i posted with the quote but it didn't show up.  ???

I'm sure you are right..I am tapering off of Trazodone right now and have talked to several who can c/t it and be just fine and others who had to taper it as slowly as if it were a benzo.

Shouldn't be surprise, some get of benzos with no problem, for some of us it's pure hell...it's a gamble I guess.

So my old Dr. just called me. I left a message for him this morning to give me a call, b/c i wanted to make sure he had no concern for my episode lastnight. Because I will keep him as my MEDICAL Dr. but I will NEVER AGAIN let him prescribe me a BENZO!

He told me that it sounded like I road that wave of panic last night greatly. He said he's surprised I was able to shake it off so quickly and actually sleep. BUT IT DID!

He didnt have much to say though... I think he feels bad for what he has done to me in a sense. My sister works at the same Hospital, and he stopped her 2 weeks ago and asked about how I was doing. She said "fine." And the he said to her "He's not mad at me or anything is he?"

My sister said it was really awkward. I told her it was b/c he probably feels guilty that I was going through benzo w/d, and he didnt seem to want to help, or be very knowledgeable about it. He just kept telling me it's just anxiety and to take more ativan. NO WAY.

So my Dr. said It doesnt sound like it was anything serious, even though it felt like it. He said that the losing my hearing in my right ear for about 5 minutes could have been ativan w/d. HE ACTUALLY ADMITTED FOR THE 1ST TIME THAT IT COULD BE ATIVAN W/D. Geez Louise!

My psychiatrist is supposed to call me here soon tonight. Just to have another peace of mind. He'll probably tell me the same thing that it's benzo w/d.

I'M RIDING THIS PUPPY OUT GUYS!

2 more days & I'm off completely!!!

For me, coming off low-dose (15 mg) Remeron years ago was very easy - no w/d s/x to speak of really. And that was with about a 4 or 5-day taper. I have only ever heard of one person who started benzos because of w/d from Remeron. Even her short time on the Remeron was apparently extremely unpleasant.That person is admittedly extremely sensitive to virtually all medications.

Over the course of my current w/d (which first started with giving up booze nearly 2 years ago), I have been on a number of ADs (most notably Pristiq and Lexapro) that made me feel much worse. So I had to wean off those. Those w/d's were very uinpleasant but only lasted a few weeks each and did not begin to hold a candle to benzo w/d - not even close.

I don't believe the Remeron "heals" anything. As benzohno has said, it helps to alleviate benzo w/d s/x (especially anorexia and insomnia) while our GABA receptors are healing. That's why I take it. I have noticed that my appetite is beginning to REALLY pick up which may mean it's a good time for me to think about stopping the Remeron (or maybe go down to 7.5 mg) before my weight gets out of control.

In no way do I expect a w/d from Remeron that is anything like benzo w/d. Perhaps some insomnia for a few days - but nothing as intolerable as what many of us have endured in benzo w/d (in both intensity and duration). For now, the Remeron is helping me immensely. I will be glad to say good-bye to it when the time comes, but it's nothing to worry about.

eli

eli1111, so glad we can relate. Hope you are healing well.

Yeah, I've heard many good success stories of people coming off AD's like Remeron. My pharmacist asked me if I had a hard time coming off Lexapro in the past, I told him no not really... just a few brain zaps here and there.

He said I should have no problem coming off of Remeron. He said it's one of the easier ones to come off of VS other brands like Paxil and other SSRI's. Remeron is a NASSA? Or something like that. It works differently than other AD's.

I have no complaints on it. I'm sleeping good too, and eating well. Well, the past 2 days my appetite has been low, but that's fine. I'm still eating though.

Hi was looking through your posts and no one here is an expert.  I personally would ask does this medication help me with my current GABA situation and if it does, I don't personally see the problem.  My opinion...  again a/d helps with serotonin and perhaps remeron helps with the benzo situation.

take care,

also it may help you taper quicker over the benzo which is what this site is about and which causes so many of the problems.

But after having that terrible mind blowing panic attack last night, It really got me thinking a lot today about if the 15mg Remeron the psychiatrist put me on is really helping the w/d of ativan.

I mean, it must be helping some, b/c so far I've been taking big cuts like .25mg every week, and it has been very managable. No panic, no anxiety, no insomnia, no loss of appetite etc. Well, except for lastnights panic attack.

My psychiatrist said, the Remeron is helping my brain HEAL by helping it produce certain chemicals which help create MORE NATURAL GABA INTAKE, while the FAKE GABA (ATIVAN) is being withdrawn. So therefor it's supposed to help the W/D. He said it won't take every w/d symptom away, but he think I'd be off a lot worse if it wasnt for the Remeron.

Is he correct? I guess I shouldn't question him. B/c he's been so good to me, and is helping me get off this junk. =) And I personally don't think 5 months on Remeron is going to hurt me. I've only been on it for about a month. So only 4 more months and I'm gonna try and get off of that.

The Remeron could be helping a bit, but probably not much. I doubt anything will keep you from feeling the wrath of benzo withdrawal, besides a slow taper from Valium....and most still have some bad symptoms doing it that way. There is a possibility the benzo road could be long and bumpy.

Some people get caught up in symptoms, worrying that they may have some horrible disease other than withdrawal, or trying to figure out what is wrong with them other than withdrawal.  They also try meds, supplements, etc trying to "fix" withdrawal, only to find out not many things really work, in fact they could make it all worse. I have tried a few small things that actually helped one symptom, but came nowhere near healing me. Really, all you can do is work on some coping skills, distraction, having faith, and a whole lot of hanging on to hope. Hang in there, you are right where you are suppose to be at the end of your taper.  ;)

A friend of mine was put on Remeron to help him come off benzo's

He said it helped and kept his w/d symptoms down

Then at 1 year bz free he tapered off the Remeron and went into a full blown withdrawal syndrome, he said it "masked" his bz withdrawal symptoms, he has just gone 3 years bz free and is in a very bad way with protracted symptoms

Im not saying this is going to happen to you but this was my friends experience, everyone is different and there are many possibilities

Good luck with your tapering!

Just my opinion and please dont anyone take this wrong. We are all so vulnerable here. There was a member that saw something about alcohol and benzo death and he left the board. I think when someone is down like CNort is the scary stories can cause more panic.

We all have opinions. I had one  and once I read it again, I decided to delete it. We are all different and what happens to one does not happen to all. Like my doc says, there is a bell shaped curve when it comes to benzo patients. No one patient is the same.

cnort you are going to be fine. You've just hit a rough patch!

While I have no idea if he is correct, you should absolutely question everything.  That would have prevented many of us from getting into this mess in the first place.

wiljon, not trying to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad.... and I should expect some honest feedback from a question like that.

But your response has scared the CRAP OUT OF ME. That was one of my worries from the beginning of my w/d when he introduced Remeron to help come off!!!!

How long was your friend on benzos?? what kind of MG?

I've been on them roughly 2.5years maybe 3. But wasnt a constant every day user. Here and there when needed, then I'd slowy taper down. I ran into tolerance w/d a little over a month ago.

Never exceded 1mg per night before bed.

Can an AD really hold back the benzo w/d??? then it starts from the get go once you stop the AD???

Like let's say I'm Jumping off .25mg ativan in 2 days... then no more! But I continue the Remeron for 1 year, then wean off of the remeron....

At that point I'd be off benzos for 1 year, then wean off Remeron... would I just go into full blown Benzo W/D that far out???!! How is that even possible!??? I'm panicking right now!!!

I am really beginning to think that psychiatrists are generally mentally deficient.  At the very least, they're the dumbest people in medical school.  When they aren't ruining lives with fabricated diagnoses and poisonous drugs, they're dishing out advice that makes no sense at all.

Man, you are going through benzo withdrawal so you are going to worry about every scenario.  Remeron is not going to help with benzo withdrawal and it certainly is not going to prevent symptoms.  Your doctor is either trying to create a placebo effect or they're clueless.  Just follow your tapering schedule and you will be fine.  

Cntor, I wrote this to you in another post. Like Ryan said you are in benzo withdrawal. You are freaking yourself out. My best advice for what it's worth, get an appt with your doc and slow down your last .25 mg. Take as long as you need and for now, please forget about the REMERON. You will come off of it in time.

Just take care of yourself. You have really tapered pretty fast so the wd has caught up with you.

I mentioned this on another post. When I tapered Klonopin the first time my fast taper was fine until the last little bit and then it hit me.

And right now you are ruminating, looking for an answer. That is classic benzo wd. But it's ok, you are coming off benzos. Try to see if you can stabilize at your current dose and talk to your doc about slowing down.

Really really sorry to scare you  :-[

I just wanted to answer honestly what happened to my friend, maybe its rare

He was on Valium, for about 2 years, I dont know the dose

perhaps I should just have said " Yes, an a/d can cover some of the more severe bz withdrawal symptoms" and left it at that

Good luck!

Hey there,  wow you are so close to being benzo free,  often the end of the taper can be a very vunerable time for all of us.

We go through so much tapering that the end can feel very scary.

Bottom line is, take the end slow,  try not to worry about everything that your mind throws at you.

Best course of action ,  if you are on another medication, stay on it,  get some good healing time under your belt from the benzos and when you feel strong enough you can then tackle the remeron if that is what you decide to do.

Good luck, and again congrats,  take very good care of yourself.  love Katie