Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Safe from Seizures

[fi...]

Does anyone know when a person is safe from seizures (when coming off of Benzos)?  I'm assuming seizures would occur if you c/t a Benzo, which I don't plan on doing.  At any rate, I've heard the time frame for being safe from seizures is 5 days off of a Benzo.  Is this true or just a general range?

Thanks so much!

You are right, if you C/T off of a benzo, you are at a higher risk of siezure, yet not everybody is bound to have one. But who wants to take the chance right?

I think if you are weaning slowly, you will have almost ZERO chance.

I wouldn't jump straight off of 1.75mg though.

Just keep cutting lower and lower dosages at your comfort. No need to rush it! =) Hang in there!

Does anyone know when a person is safe from seizures (when coming off of Benzos)?  I'm assuming seizures would occur if you c/t a Benzo, which I don't plan on doing.  At any rate, I've heard the time frame for being safe from seizures is 5 days off of a Benzo.  Is this true or just a general range?

Thanks so much!

Hi fishingguy,

I believe 5 days is a very general range. I wouldn't think someone would in a safe zone for several weeks. The chances are slim for seizures if you stop taking a benzo at a very, very low dose.

My doc told me that after a few weeks out the seizure risk is over. I heard of one person who C/T having a seizure at four weeks out but I think that is very rare, and I don't know if other drugs were C/T or what their neurological history was like.

If you are doing a slow taper your chances are pretty small. 

[75...]

I c/t'd from 30-40 mg. Valium back on September 7. I have diabetes and take gabapentin (Neurontin) 300 mg. four times daily for peripheral nueropathic pain in my feet. Fortunately, gabapentin is also an anti-seizure med, so I didn't have anything even close to a seizure.

If you taper down and go off a low dose, you shouldn't be at risk of a seizure, IMHO. I wouldn't recommend anyone to jump off from the dose I did if they didn't have something to protect them.

I hope this helps.

Tucson

Me on Day 35 of my final c/t:  :o

[ab...]

If you taper down slowly, no need to worry of a seizure.

After you taper, I would say a 5 - 7 days is pretty safe to say safe.

Billy.