Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Safe from Seizures

[fi...]

Does anyone know when a person is safe from seizures (when coming off of Benzos)?  I'm assuming seizures would occur if you c/t a Benzo, which I don't plan on doing.  At any rate, I've heard the time frame for being safe from seizures is 5 days off of a Benzo.  Is this true or just a general range?

Thanks so much!

You are right, if you C/T off of a benzo, you are at a higher risk of siezure, yet not everybody is bound to have one. But who wants to take the chance right?

I think if you are weaning slowly, you will have almost ZERO chance.

I wouldn't jump straight off of 1.75mg though.

Just keep cutting lower and lower dosages at your comfort. No need to rush it! =) Hang in there!

Does anyone know when a person is safe from seizures (when coming off of Benzos)?  I'm assuming seizures would occur if you c/t a Benzo, which I don't plan on doing.  At any rate, I've heard the time frame for being safe from seizures is 5 days off of a Benzo.  Is this true or just a general range?

Thanks so much!

Hi fishingguy,

I believe 5 days is a very general range. I wouldn't think someone would in a safe zone for several weeks. The chances are slim for seizures if you stop taking a benzo at a very, very low dose.

My doc told me that after a few weeks out the seizure risk is over. I heard of one person who C/T having a seizure at four weeks out but I think that is very rare, and I don't know if other drugs were C/T or what their neurological history was like.

If you are doing a slow taper your chances are pretty small. 

[8b...]

I c/t'd from 30-40 mg. Valium back on September 7. I have diabetes and take gabapentin (Neurontin) 300 mg. four times daily for peripheral nueropathic pain in my feet. Fortunately, gabapentin is also an anti-seizure med, so I didn't have anything even close to a seizure.

If you taper down and go off a low dose, you shouldn't be at risk of a seizure, IMHO. I wouldn't recommend anyone to jump off from the dose I did if they didn't have something to protect them.

I hope this helps.

Tucson

Me on Day 35 of my final c/t:  :o

[ec...]

If you taper down slowly, no need to worry of a seizure.

After you taper, I would say a 5 - 7 days is pretty safe to say safe.

Billy.