Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

whoa, on the totally other end of the alcohol question

[sw...]

For all 11 of the years I was on benzos, to the limited extent that I drank neither beer nor hard liquor had much effect on me.  I mean, I'm sure if I drank enough of it I would have eventually started stumbling around, but I never got any of that sort of happy buzz that people drink it for so I largely didn't bother.

I went to a screening of a cult classic horror movie, last night, and they were featuring $1 beers so I figured what the heck and got one.  Half way through the first one I started feeling a really nice pleasant buzz.  "whoa, is this why people drink beer?"  I'd never experienced anything like it, at least in my adult life, and rounded the night out with a second one which furthered the sensation.  (Also, just to clarify, it wasn't any sort of exagerated effect- it was exactly what the average person would probably expect from drinking two beers.)

I should also add that a month ago the same thing happened with two cocktails, but I didn't think much of it because I've next to never have had cocktails in my life so I didn't really have anything to compare it to.  But beer has always been a total 0% for me, so it was really startling for anything to come of it.

I really think that benzos were actually the reason that I've gotten next to nothing out of alcohol over the years, and now that I'm 4.5 months off of them for the first time in my adult life I'm actually able to enjoy the pleasures of alcohol.  Everything in moderation, of course, but what a completely pleasant novelty.

For all the debating as to if anyone should ever drink at all while in withdrawal (despite the Ashton Manual's approval of occassional drinking), I don't think I've ever heard anyone raise the issue that their experience with alcohol had totally changed, and for the better, after coming off benzos.  Anyone else?  I've got to say, it suddenly makes a lot more sense to me as to why other people drink, now.

Hello Sweet g

I myself have drank before benzos and after going c/t off them.  I can say that i do feel a better "buzz" from alcohol that i never did while using the benzos.  I'm only 17 weeks off benzos, so when I do have a couple beers, I still feel like crap the next day.  Hopefully i can enjoy alcohol in moderation soon without the nasty effects my CNS goes through the next day.

If anyone reading this has been able to drink without feeling like crap the next day, when were you able to drink alcohol again post benzos?  I've hoping by the 6 months I'll be able to enjoy it again...

Thanks for weighing in.  Regarding your question, I couldn't answer as I never had any problems from drinking alcohol during withdrawal, just not much motivation to drink it, either.

;)

Hi Sweet G

I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread like that :-\

I wish i could be in your shoes and be able to have a couple without devastating effects afterward.

Hi Sweet G

I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread like that :-\

I wish i could be in your shoes and be able to have a couple without devastating effects afterward.

Hey, you didn't hijack anything, at all.  In the end, everyone goes back to normal, so don't worry about it.  ;)

Sweet g that says a lot for your healing if you are able to drink alcohol. Most of us have withdrawal symptoms after drinking it. To say that you can drink it now means that your GABA has done a lot of healing and the fact that you can watch a cult classic....that's awesome!