Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Benzo Free but needing some feedback from other Benzo Free Buddies.

[Fi...]

I've been Benzo Free now for about 6 weeks.

This past week has been horrifying in regard to withdrawl symptoms.. 

I've been dealing with a rather constant stomach bloating and soreness, palpitations, lightheadedness, headache,sweating and full blown panic attack with serious body spasms,forced loose bowels and an overall horrible feeling.

It's taken me a week to feel stable again.. any insights?

6 weeks out is still very early in the healing process. Your sx sound normal for where you are at. Remember things wax and wane. You can feel pretty good for a few days or even weeks or months, and then get hit with a wave. This process is frustrating as it is not linear healing.

Hang in there. The good news is you are free and every second your brain is recovering.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm six weeks off also and have the same kind of symptoms.  No windows for me...not yet...not ever.  Everyone says it's normal but OMG!

[51...]

I'm 34 days out, just shy of 5 weeks, and if anything things seem to be worse now than they were at the beginning. I have constant low-level anxiety that keeps me from getting more than a few hours sleep -- if that -- each night. I feel so out of touch with reality. When I go someplace with my wife I feel as if I am just being driven along in a daze. If she's going to the store I won't go in if it's crowded. The noise overwhelms me and my anxiety soars. In the evening it's not too bad going shopping, but even then I feel as if I am just walking through a haze.

I'm lucky to not have too many physical symptoms...yet. Most of mine are between my ears. My wife and son get up each morning and go off to work, or in my son's case to work and school, and they do so with such ease. I can't even imagine trying to work, to spend eight hours focused on something. Getting up and cleaning up the house is about all I can manage.

So, it sounds like we're all at about the same place for 5-6 weeks out. Hang in there. I hear it gets better in the third month. I've had two brief windows and it felt so good. I was hoping that the worst had passed, but it seems that after a window of a few hours the sxs just get worse. At least I have hope that there will be more windows, and more frequently, sometime in the future.

Hang in there. We can do it!

Tucson

Me on Day 34 of my fiinal c/t:  :o

It DOES get better!  Promise. It just takes time. And the days pass by painfully slow, I know.

Just be kind and compassionate with yourself and hold onto hope.

I know the first few weeks are so brutal.

Month three things shifted for me. It can only get better from here. :)

Thank you so much Recovering and Tucson!!

I'm glad the two of you responded to help me understand that we are all in this together

and what I am experiencing is par for the course.

The fact that you both intimately understand what I'm describing

and what it is like... puts things into perspective.

I'm definitely hanging in..

As you both know, we've all come too far to ever turn back...

*Kathy

Hi Kathy. Sorry you are suffering but it will get better.

I posted a link yesterday in the Accentuate the Positive section and it has helped me a lot.  I hope it helps you too.

Angel

Kathy

I believe that it is very important to compare yourself with people taking a similar route to yours.

The first 3 months benzo free from a taper often does not compare to the first 3 months benzo free from a CT.

I have consulted a very benzo wise doctor (psychiatrist) who has weaned off hundred if not thousands of patients since 1990.

He finds that using a slow taper, often the symptoms peak from 4 - 8 weeks after freedom, so the hardship you are experiencing now is pretty normal.

I'm just over three years off and let me share my early experiences...

Since we're talking about six weeks, that was when I really got hit the hardest. Up to about the five week mark, I thought I was one of the lucky ones, because I had very few symptoms. It was weird, but welcome. Shortly after the five week mark, my sleep went to heck and it was as if someone opened the door to Hell and kicked me in. I don't mean to make this sound so bad, but my own experience was just plain awful.

HOWEVER

Things went uphill from there. It has been slow, but rewarding and yes, there were times that I wanted to get back on the meds, just to stop all of this from happening, but I made it through to this point and so, too, will you. Just continue to remind yourself that these symptoms will come and go and when the do - EMBRACE them. Don't fight them. It makes it worse. Accept what you feel and believe me, it will get better faster than you realize! :)

Petey...  Thanks for you inspiring words!  I really needed that today.  I am now about 13 weeks off and lately I've suffered al lot more than my first 8 weeks.  I think my body has taken a real beating and it is revolting.  My CNS must be totally shot right now.  It doesn't help that I work in a very demanding full time job and I am literally "up" and in constant motion all day...and I really don't have the option to take a leave of absence unless I totally break down, which I'm desperately trying to avoid.  By the end of the day, I am totally shot and feel sicker than I could ever imagine!!!  I DO aggree that we have to embrace what we are feeling and not fight the feelings.  It is healing....sad, but true.  I am trying to choose acceptance and enjoying tiny, tiny pleasures.  Thanks again, Petey!  Love, Sophia

Oh, one more thing Petey....  I know we are all different in our healing time, but WHEN did you know that you were REALLY starting to heal?

Sophia

Honestly, I really started to notice it around a year and it only got better and better as I went along. It wasn't so much that I noticed it, either. I just stopped noticing the symptoms! :)

Oh, Pete, THANK YOU ~ You made my day!  It (unfortunately) is good to hear of people who recovered later, rather than quickly...it gives me strength and courage!  You helped lift my mood!  Sophia

Noolie - I did a rapid taper. I should have taken it slower, but did something that was a little too fast for comfort. :)

Sophia - :) Just keep hanging in there! :) We all heal, it just takes time...