Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

GERD

[Da...]

One of the worst symptoms I am experiencing is GERD. It is causing severe discomfort in my lower abdomen and sometimes in my chest. I can relieve the chest discomfort by belching. I do not have a lot of reflux just a lot of trapped air which results in severe belching. Also I have developed a very bad cough in which I cough up a lot of phlegm. I was reading about GERD and Asthma and Bronchitis is a direct result of GERD. Anyone experience this and have any solutions? I am currently taking Nexium which seams to help a little bit

I had this about 3 months ago VERY BADLY, at the time I wasnt even knowledgeable about tolerance w/d etc.

But I had about 3 nights worth of bloatedness, acid reflux, feeling so nauseious I was on the verge of puking, and of course, my anxiety was so bad from feeling so sick I popped like 1.5mg worth of ativan just to calm me down.

I was also having diarrhea with it too my acid was so bad in my stomach.

Finally I remember I started taking PREVACID, every day for like 14 days and my acid reflux completely stopped. And so did all the nausea etc. But I DO remember when i stopped the PREVACID, I got stomach cramps really bad for like 2 days, then I was fine.

My Dr said for the future, incase I run into this again, to take PREVACID only like every 2-3 days as needed instead of every day for 14 days.

This time on my wean, I have not experienced GERD, THANK GOD!

But it seems like through tolerance w/d I did experience it.

I can say though through my w/d right now I have had a few nights of some acid reflux, but not too bad.

Good luck to you and hang in there. =)

I was diagnosed with GERD long before I heard of benzos so mine was unrelated to tapering.  It did make my asthma much worse and when I got it under control (with Prevacid and sleeping on a wedge), my asthma was under control as well.

Hello David R,

I saw your questions and put together some information I thought might be helpful. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

One of the worst symptoms I am experiencing is GERD .I do not have a lot of reflux just a lot of trapped air which results in severe belching

"The Benzo Book, Getting Safely off Tranquilizers" by Jack Hobson- Dupont, 2006

"There are more neural receptors which utilize GABA are found in the gut than in the brain; so, one potential effect of benzodiazepine reduction or discontinuation is that serious difficulties in digestion or elimination of food may result. This would seem to have nothing to do with having used tranquilizers but to the body, relying as it does upon GABA for so many of its functions, it is yet one of the phenomena that may result from both tolerance to or discontinuation from benzodiazepine."

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Porritt & Di Russell, 2006

Bowels

“Many people find that their bowels seem to go crazy in withdrawal – most commonly with alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea, interspersed by wind (gas)”

“For some people diarrhea is by far the worst problem – it can be very severe, leaving them weak, shaky and exhausted. For others the problem is equally severe constipation. Another odd symptom is what one woman described as a ‘hyperactive’ bowel. Some days I can do to the toilet five or six times.”

“Persistent bad wind (gas) is very common – sometimes silent and smelly, sometimes noisy, but always embarrassing if you have to be with people.”

“The Ashton Manual” by Heather Ashton, 2002

Digestive problems. “Some people have not problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with “Irritable Bowel Syndrome” (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually not abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to over activity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.”

Also I have developed a very bad cough in which I cough up a lot of phlegm.

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Poritt & Di Russell, 2006

Throat

“Throat symptoms affect only a few people. For those who do suffer, the most common problem is a recurring mild sore throat. ‘Gunky’ throats which have to be cleared all the time with an ‘er-hem’ sort of cough are also experienced. Throat pain and ulcers take the joy out of eating. Repeated dry, scratchy throats make people think they have developed allergies. The most worrying symptom is a sensation of choking- people panic when they feel they cannot swallow.”

I hope this is helpful,

Summer