Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Lunesta

[Ma...]

Hi there!  I am new to this group but not to benzos.  Ten years ago I successfully tapered off of 1 mg of ativan which I had been taking daily for 1.5 years and before that I toook benzos "as needed" for about 20 years.  Found Ray's website in 2000 and he literally saved my life.  Now, 10 years later I find myself taking Lunesta for insomnia and realize that once again a drug is making me ill.  I am actually really embarassed that I allowed this to happen.  After not sleeping for 4 nights in a row, my doctor gave me ativan which I took and then after a few nights realized I had to get off and switched to Lunesta.  That was a week ago.  Now I want off this drug.  I just want my sleep back.  Does anyone have any experience with Lunesta and how to get off?  Regards and thank you,

edited to remove private information...eljay

Hi Mary G,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Coming off Lunesta is similar to tapering off benzos. If I'm understanding correctly that you've only been on it for a week or two (including the ativan), you can and should do this fairly quickly if you want to avoid increasing dependency. If it's a normal dose and one doesn't  suffer from some sort of seizure disorder, andit's only been for a short duration, most can just safely stop. But this should be done only under a doctors care.

If you feel more comfortable, you can break it in half or quarters and taper it, but this probably shouldn't take more than a week or so to accomplish. The longer you take, the more chance of developing dependency.  

Hope this helps. You will receive lots of support here!

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear you were lulled back onto the drug, but please don't feel bad, many of us have had to learn some harsh lessons where these drugs are concerned.

Please let us know if you have questions.

Pam

Hello Mary and welcoming you to BB. Don't feel embarassed, I also had to learn the hard way about these drugs. I had no idea what they could do. As far as Lunesta, it works similar to a benzo, so if you feel like you are already dependant you could do a taper off. How long have you been taking the Lunesta and have you been taking it every night? Let us know what questions you have, we are here to help.

Wow, thanks to all for your great responses.  I appreciate the input and yes, I want off this drug ASAP.  My fear is that because of my prior benzo use I can't just suddenly stop.  I am now down to 1 mg of Lunesta and plan to continue to cut that into quarters every 3-4 days until I'm completely done.  Its interesting how the lower dose I'm taking, the better I am sleeping.  Thanks!

Welcome to benzobuddies.  I have had no experience with that drug, but some one will be here to help.  Don't feel badly, I messed up on my taper.  We all make mistakes.

Poplady