Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Can exercise cause symptoms to flare

[Ka...]

Hello,

It's been about two months or so since my last post. Much of my physical symptoms of withdrawal diminished greatly toward the end of August. Since then I've been trying to implement an exercise program in order to get back in shape. I started out easy by just doing about 20-30 minutes on the elliptical at a moderate rate. The problem is that the day after these cardio workouts I would wake up with what can best be described as a hungover feeling  :-X. This CRAPPY feeling lasts all day and sometimes two. I really don't understand it. I've gone for long periods of time without exercising in the past and I've never had this type of reaction upon resuming an exercise program. I read somewhere that benzo withdrawal can cause symptoms that correspond to chronic fatigue syndrome. So I've started to think that maybe this reaction I'm having can be attributed to withdrawal. I was wondering if any of you have had any strange or unexpected reactions to exercise?

Thanks,

Katie

I get symptom flare-ups with exercise too. I have just accepted it as another limitation forced on me by this illness. It may be good to try to test your response to different levels of exercise and see if you can find a level that is below the threshold for aggravating symptoms.

Yes it can cause a flare up.  I've had to do different things until I am healed.  Tennis is too hard on my body due to the muscle pains. They are better now but I will wait awhile before trying again.  I find I can bicycle almost all the time and have been riding a few times a week.  We even rode 18 miles last weekend.  I did some weights last week, still trying to rehab my shoulder after surgery.  I felt pretty rotten at the start but actually better after. For me it varies by the day, some days I just let my body rest.

pianogirl

Hi Katie, I came on here to ask the exact same thing ! what a coincidence lol

I have been doing 30 to 50 mins on my bicycle 3 times a week for the past two weeks and have found that a couple of times

afterwards my sxs have increased. I went out last night and feel pretty ropey today.

But some of it is obvious muscle ache from the exercise. Though i can't help thinking some of it is also increased sxs

because of it.

I am going to continue but i think there is a relation.

Katie,

I definitely notice sx flare ups with exercise, yet at the same time some sx's seem to improve, so I think it is all about finding what works at where you are at in the w/d process.  Thought this might interest you from benzosupport.org:

31.  SHOULD I EXERCISE DURING BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWAL?

Yes.  Aerobic exercise has consistently been found in studies to reduce both anxiety and depression.  Some people believe that aerobic exercise may even shorten the course of withdrawal.

Strenuous aerobic exercise is often difficult for people in withdrawal, as it causes an influx of adrenaline that can heighten withdrawal symptoms.  In some cases, people have reported experiencing panic attacks after intensive exercise.  If you are unable to engage in vigorous exercise, it is recommended that you engage in as much low impact aerobic exercise as possible.  Brisk walking is a good form of aerobic exercise that some people have reported as having an immediate, calming effect.  Relatively non-strenuous swimming is also a good option.

http://www.benzosupport.org/faq.htm#_Toc142992570

Thanks for the responses you guys! I really appreciate it. I thought I was totally better, but I guess there are still some things I can't do yet.

-kt